Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Northwest Open - April 16th-17th - Whistler's Bend

Hello,

We are happy to announce the dates for this year's Great Northwest Open are going to be April 16th & 17th. We will be using the same format we have in the past with two flights, everyone playing 3 rounds on Whistler's Bend's awesome disc golf course. This year's event will be a PDGA B-tier for all divisions.

Entry Fees
    All Pro Divisions: $75
    All Advanced Divisions: $55
    All Intermidiate Divisions: $45
    Minimum of 4 people per division

Schedule:
    Friday
    4:00-5:30 PM Check in
    4:30-5:30 PM Sign in for random
    draw doubles
    5:30 PM Doubles starts

Saturday
    7:00-8:00 AM Late check in
    8:30 AM Flight A players meeting
    9:00 AM Flight A tees off
    11:30 AM Flight B players meeting
    12:00 PM Flight B tees off
    2:30 PM Flight A players meeting
    3:00 PM Flight A tees off

Sunday
    8:00 AM Flight B players meeting
    8:30 AM Flight B tees off
    11:00 AM Flight A players meeting
    11:30 AM Flight A tees off
    2:00 PM Flight B players meeting
    2:30 PM Flight B tees off
    Awards to follow
    [second and third round start times each day are subject to change as round times dictate]

Flight A: All Advanced Divisions
    Flight B: All Pro and Intermidiate Divisions
    [these flights are subject to change in needed for pool balancing]

Group camping will be available Fri, Sat, and Sun nights only, $5 a head per night for all campers! If you want to show up and camp on Thursday night, you'll need to camp in the spaces over on the other side of the park as group camp will not be available for us.

Registration
    On-line registration will be opened in mid Feb... we will announce the date as we get closer to it (we need to get confirmation for the on-line registration hosting folks).

For all of you playing over the cold winter months, we have a special deal for you to reward your disc golf tenacity. For people that play at least two OLE events, we will hold 50 spots for these folks to use to sign up for the Great NW Open at their second OLE. For those of you that have already played two events, you can sign up at Trojan this Saturday (Jan 22nd), for those of you that haven't played OLE yet, you can still play two before we open on-line registration in mid Feb.

We will be holding only 50 spots for this, with the bulk of spots being reserved for on-line registration. However, if we don't have all 50 claimed by the Pier Park OLE on Feb 5th, then we will hold these open for anyone to claim at the last OLE at Stub Stuart on March 5th... after that, these spots will go to the wait list.

TD contact info
    Tom Embree
    crushthecourse@hotmail.com

damn, teresa, you be puttin' the smile on my face today!!!

thank you, thank you, girlie...

(... looks like i'll be seein' ya this saturday...)
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

"Registration
      On-line registration will be opened in mid Feb... we will announce the date as we get closer to it (we need to get confirmation for the on-line registration hosting folks).

For all of you playing over the cold winter months, we have a special deal for you to reward your disc golf tenacity. For people that play at least two OLE events, we will hold 50 spots for these folks to use to sign up for the Great NW Open at their second OLE. For those of you that have already played two events, you can sign up at Trojan this Saturday (Jan 22nd), for those of you that haven't played OLE yet, you can still play two before we open on-line registration in mid Feb.

We will be holding only 50 spots for this, with the bulk of spots being reserved for on-line registration. However, if we don't have all 50 claimed by the Pier Park OLE on Feb 5th, then we will hold these open for anyone to claim at the last OLE at Stub Stuart on March 5th... after that, these spots will go to the wait list."

Where is the incentive for those of us who live on the other side of the mountains? If you want to reward those with tenacity, how about the folks who actually play in snow? Just sayin!

Comment

"Where is the incentive for those of us who live on the other side of the mountains? If you want to reward those with tenacity, how about the folks who actually play in snow? Just sayin!"

Yeah snow golf! Yes, we realize we are unable to reward all winter disc golf play, and that's why we are reserving most spots for on-line registration.

If you live on this side of the mountains, this might be just the motivation you were needing to get off the couch and try out some OLE disc golf!

Comment

Awesome. Can't wait for this one. My second favourite tourny of the year. Always well run and a ton of fun. Thanks for that Teresa and Tom.

Having said that I must inquire about this 'holding back 50 spots for OLE players idea'. Is the OLE series a fundraiser for the GNO? If so, fair enough as OLE players add to GNO cash and should get first dibs at a spot. The Willy open does that as well with its qualifiers and I totally agree with it.

If not, then I fail to see the logic, apart from trying to boost OLE attendance, which I believe would be a little unfair for those people that don't live in Portland.

Regardless, I hope to be there. The GNO and Whistler's rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Hayduke View Post
            Awesome. Can't wait for this one. My second favourite tourny of the year. Always well run and a ton of fun. Thanks for that Teresa and Tom.

Having said that I must inquire about this 'holding back 50 spots for OLE players idea'. Is the OLE series a fundraiser for the GNO? If so, fair enough as OLE players add to GNO cash and should get first dibs at a spot. The Willy open does that as well with its qualifiers and I totally agree with it.

If not, then I fail to see the logic, apart from trying to boost OLE attendance, which I believe would be a little unfair for those people that don't live in Portland.

Regardless, I hope to be there. The GNO and Whistler's rocks!

Is there an emoticon for nail...hammer...head...?
            Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Since this is a B Tier this year (was an A Tier for Advanced field last year) is this event being disqualified as a 2011 Am Nationals qualifier (it currently shows as a qualifier on the Am Nationals website, but as an A Tier)? This is a moot point for me, as I qualified at BSF, but others might want to know...this would be the only other qualifier in Oregon other than 2010 BSF.
              Victorious warriors win first then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

Comment

No love for the southern winter golfers??? Didnt the GNO fill in like an hour last year? Seems kinda crazy to me that there is going to be 50 less spots for non portland area golfers this year. Especially for the only Southern Oregon "oregon series" tournament.
                /\/\ E l) F () R l) E R

Comment

Originally posted by JBizzle View Post
                  No love for the southern winter golfers??? Didnt the GNO fill in like an hour last year? Seems kinda crazy to me that there is going to be 50 less spots for non portland area golfers this year. Especially for the only Southern Oregon "oregon series" tournament.
                  I understand what you are saying JB The more I think on this idea the more it sounds hinky. At 1st I was thinking not a bad idea for a series to do, but now i don't think so. Not that it matters what I see just my 2cents.

Comment

Is there an "Oregon Series" this year? We'll have a schedule of events, but I'm not sure any information about an official series has been promoted yet.

Back to back events in April would be out of the norm for a series.

Comment

I see it as TnT using the high demand to play in the GNO to help them get and keep the OLE Series viable, which seems like smart marketing.

And I take some comfort in the fact that if I don't/can't get into the GNO this year there are a number of other well-run tournaments that are scheduled for Whistler's this year. And for that, my thanks to the southern Oregon clubs.

Comment

when you said you are rewarding the winter golfers, do you mean the one that play in the OLE events or all the winter golfers? because there are alot of us who can't make it up north but still play alot of winter golf events(SOWS,Shasta Series, ext.)?
                        Last edited by rocer180; January 21st, 2011, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
                          And I take some comfort in the fact that if I don't/can't get into the GNO this year there are a number of other well-run tournaments that are scheduled for Whistler's this year.
                          Yes there are 3-4 pdga events at whistlers each season and those are the only pdga events in our area. Compare that to the Portland scene.

Comment

Wouldn't holding spots for qualifying people misrepresent the GNO? It is the Great Northwest Open...not the Great Northwest 2/3 Open. I understand the theory behind holding spots for the hard core winter golfers, but there are many of those that play a winter series in Southern Oregon and Washington as well. Just MY 2cents worth

Comment

I guess I could conceive of an argument that one series of golfers should have preferred access to an "open" tourny over another seriers but I sure couldnt articulate it.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X