X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by all2common View Post
    What happens if more than fifty people show up at the next two OLE events in hopes of securing a spot to the GNO?
    Pistols at dawn.
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I think that anyone who wants to run an event in oregon, god forbid a good / popular event should completely ignore all of the online banter about said event.

I am willing to bet that not a single one of the detractors on here have nutted up and actually called tom and as far as I can tell none of you have offered any kind of alternative way for him to achieve the dual goals of promoting his two events. None of you would go to your local grocery store and demand that they put milk on sale this week, or go to your local bar and ask them to relocate to a house next door so it would be more easier for you...

The point is that when you run an event you can run it however you want to... "everyone who wears a pink dress gets to subtract three from there score" if your in charge you can run it however you like.

Growing up in a big family I learned a long time ago that fair and equal are not the same thing. I think that principle works here as well.

Tom is a good guy and has given as much to Oregon disc golf as anyone out there. He deserves respect and civility if nothing else.

Finally when did we start seeing the GNO as a negative entity... they helped pay for a number of the baskets at Whistler's that has allowed the park (which is one of the best courses in the world) to be used for multiple events and built a large player pool willing to travel great distances to play there. It was the same guy who did all that that you all are going after now...

Last thought... I'm rambling

Really last thought... we need to have a state wide teams tournament so we can get a little of this regional animosity out on the course.... I'll captain the Eugene Yupees team!

Comment

I don't really see anybody "going after" Tom. I am reading people who are wondering about wisdom of promoting the OLE series with two events to go, and holding GNO spots for that promotion.
        Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Awesome! I'm looking forward to the 2011 GNO! Like everyone else, I hope that I am able to secure a spot in the event. It is doubtful that I will be able to attend two OLEs this winter, but I am guessing that many will.

Couple Questions:

Will the online registration date/time for the 2011 GNO be announced in advance?

How many players will be allowed in each flight at the GNO, 72, 76, 80?

If 40 of the 50 OLE spots are granted to pro or intermediate players, will that reduce the availability of spots in flight B exclusively?

Thanks!

Comment

Whistler's Basket Donors

Originally posted by DexterHawk View Post
            they helped pay for a number of the baskets at Whistler's
            Andy,
            I think you might have mistaken the GNO with the EDGC.
            The EGDC donated hole two, hence the name "BluEugene HighWay".
            Others to thank for their gracious contributions are:
            Disc Golf Depot
            Jay (how ya been) Townsend > Top O' The World
            Kurt Bayne
            UDA
            WBDS
            TL, J-Low and some college buds I think
            Fryday Flippouts

Also bud, nobody wants no dang civil war here.
            Hayduke pounded the nail with his first post.
            Here's a question... Is this idea really worth the animosity it has created within our disc golf community?
            I started playing and running Frisbee/Disc golf gigs in 1985 and yep, TD's should have certain rights to do what they want at times. But I wouldn't even dream of doing something that could piss a bunch of people off.
            Well maybe the one Jordan loved/loathed, the 30 hole BAM!
            I love all you disc golfers, some just a wee bit more.
            Twas gudt to see you mon at Windy!
            Yose
            Last edited by Flatroc; January 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            - Anonymous

Comment

Registration Time Line

Right now there are not 50 people that will be able to claim a spot at the Feb 5th OLE.

Timeline:
              > Feb 5th OLE: <50 spots claimed
              > Week after: on-line reg
              ---> once that fills, wait list starts
              > March 5th OLE: X more spots are claimed
              ---> if >50, these folks are added to the wait list
              ---> if <50, remaining spots applied to to existing wait list

Comment

Good to see you too brutha...

And of course I mean nothing personal... Tom is a friend...

It just seems worth mentioning that with the way they get treated, it's no wonder that many TDs decide to quit running events after awhile.

Comment

Well in the spirit of that I'd like to thank Tom and Teresa for putting on a fun and well run tourney last year, coming specifically from a Southern Oregon golfer. I hope to attend this year and i'm sure it will be a worthwhile event once again!

I'm actually thinking about a couple of long drives (not with a disc) in light of Sass's last post.

Comment

Thanks Bryon, and all the other golfers trying to keep an open mind about this. We aren't doing this to create turmoil and angst, and while I understand a lot of people like things to stay the same, we are going to give this idea a try. Let's see how it works... if it needs an adjustment next year, we'll do that, it it proves to be an overall bad idea, maybe we'll try something else, or go back to the straight up on-line "raffle". Anyone else have an idea of how we can take (even some of) the "roulette" out of sign-ups? Maybe I'm going the wrong way, maybe we should go all-out luck like how some hunting tags are assigned... you pay to get a ticket for a lottery, your ticket gets pulled, you get to hunt. Of course if you're a top pro, they would say take the top rated players first.

As far as flights go, for several years the flights as posted seem to bring the most balance to the fields; however, division attendance fluctuates year to year and we might need to change the flights up to accommodate the people that sign up. That said, yes, there is only so much room in each flight. So if they stay as they are, and all 50 OLE spots go to Int and Pro players, that would only affect their flight... do I think that is going to happen? probably not.

As far as announcing when on-line reg will open, we will let people know the date and time as soon as we know when that will be.

Comment

Originally posted by putter anonymous View Post
                      Since I can't make the last two OLE events, but think it is a great way for you guys to raise money for the OLE. I was wondering if I could send you guys entry fees for two events and get one of those spots?
                      Hey sassy

Comment

Originally posted by sassalicious View Post
                        Thanks Bryon, and all the other golfers trying to keep an open mind about this. We aren't doing this to create turmoil and angst, and while I understand a lot of people like things to stay the same, we are going to give this idea a try. Let's see how it works... if it needs an adjustment next year, we'll do that, it it proves to be an overall bad idea, maybe we'll try something else, or go back to the straight up on-line "raffle". Anyone else have an idea of how we can take (even some of) the "roulette" out of sign-ups? Maybe I'm going the wrong way, maybe we should go all-out luck like how some hunting tags are assigned... you pay to get a ticket for a lottery, your ticket gets pulled, you get to hunt. Of course if you're a top pro, they would say take the top rated players first.

As far as flights go, for several years the flights as posted seem to bring the most balance to the fields; however, division attendance fluctuates year to year and we might need to change the flights up to accommodate the people that sign up. That said, yes, there is only so much room in each flight. So if they stay as they are, and all 50 OLE spots go to Int and Pro players, that would only affect their flight... do I think that is going to happen? probably not.

As far as announcing when on-line reg will open, we will let people know the date and time as soon as we know when that will be.
                        tired...
                        Last edited by all2common; January 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM.
                        Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Haven't read but the first and last post.
                          Hopefully people are thanking the T.D.'s as well.
                          Glad my events are small and old school.
                          I like the idea of having to qualify for a big event. You have to to get into any major tournament. I also like the idea of only current pdga players being to sign up as well in a big event.
                          This is the pdga. Professional, top rated players should be the goal.
                          We should have the best players at these big events not the luckiest to get in.
                          Thanks again to all who have keep this event and this outstanding park going for all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by the flogging putter View Post
                            Originally posted by putter anonymous
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by putter anonymous
                            Since I can't make the last two OLE events, but think it is a great way for you guys to raise money for the OLE. I was wondering if I could send you guys entry fees for two events and get one of those spots?
                            Hey sassy
                            If you have a question about the event or policies, I suggest you contact Tom directly, but if this was a real question (I read it as an inflammatory jab), then the answer would most likely be... NO
                            Last edited by sassalicious; January 27th, 2011, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Andy is 100% right on with this statement:
                              "I am willing to bet that not a single one of the detractors on here have nutted up and actually called tom..."

Tom has not received any phone calls, and only one e-mail... He does not visit this "forum" (more like the gossip column). I suggest contacting Tom directly if you have questions or feedback.

Comment

for what it's worth tom and teresa, i was stoked to have an opportunity to sign up for this without having to bribe someone with a computer and decent internet to do it for me and then bite my nails wondering if they did it right... i don't have a computer and only a few minutes here and there where one is available to me, so i appreciate your unorthodox methods... thanks from a girl stuck in the dark ages without internet at her Shack...
                                "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                                Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X