Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now a note from your TD

From Tom:

I've bee running the OLE series for 20 years. When the Series was in the Eugene area, I had people drive down from Kennewick, WA for every OLE event two years in a row. I had people driving from Portland for every event, from Albany, Salem and Coos Bay for years. People made the drive then, you can make it now. No one is being excluded from this opportunity to sign up. I'm offering an opportunity for anyone to sign up without the need for a fast internet connection. Everyone knows how fast this event fills, so you need to decide if you need to insure you have a fast internet connection, or if you want to do a little driving and play some disc golf and make sure you can claim a spot at GNO. In my opinion, this makes it MORE fair than having spots on-line only.

As of right now, only 13 people have qualified to claim a spot at GNO (not that all of them will), which means there are still plenty of spots left.

How do you guys feel about bidding for a couple spots on ebay? That sounds like a good fundraiser!

Comment

Originally posted by sassalicious View Post
      How do you guys feel about bidding for a couple spots on ebay? That sounds like a good fundraiser!
      I'm all for it.

Comment

That would be a great fundraiser and it would be a sweet auction to be a part of.
        Last edited by the flogging putter; January 25th, 2011, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I think it's a great idea for any tournament that historically fills quickly.

Comment

Where have all the OLE'ers gone?

From Tom:

I've bee running the OLE series for 20 years. When the Series was in the Eugene area, I had people drive down from Kennewick, WA for every OLE event two years in a row. I had people driving from Portland for every event, from Albany, Salem and Coos Bay for years. People made the drive then, you can make it now. No one is being excluded from this opportunity to sign up. I'm offering an opportunity for anyone to sign up without the need for a fast internet connection. Everyone knows how fast this event fills, so you need to decide if you need to insure you have a fast internet connection, or if you want to do a little driving and play some disc golf and make sure you can claim a spot at GNO. In my opinion, this makes it MORE fair than having spots on-line only.

As of right now, only 13 people have qualified to claim a spot at GNO (not that all of them will), which means there are still plenty of spots left.

To Tom,
            Wow, 20 years! That's awesome.
            It looks like "had" is a key word here.
            It's too bad people have stopped attending your series after so many years.
            I wonder why that is?
            Geez, I'm always looking for ways to make them want to stay home so we're not too packed.
            So, if anyone plays two gigs you "make sure you can claim a spot"?
            That's all we have to do? Any guarantees?
            Thanks!
            Yose
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            - Anonymous

Comment

I was wondering when the entry auctions would start.
              I think it is a great idea. Hold the last 2 or 3 or more spots until after the event fills then auction them off on ebay. Everybody wins. More money for the tourney, and the people who win the auction are obviously willing to pay that price so they are better off too. I am interested to see how much these spots will go for.....My guess is about 120 bucks.

Comment

Teresa here,

I'm hearing that this feels really unfair to the southern Oregon folks, but it's not. Not any more unfair than it is to anyone else. Here is some perspective... we are not running the GNO for you, solely.

This is the Great Northwest Open. That means Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nor Cal and even Montana. If anything Southern OR golfers get a cherry of a deal. All they have to do is secure a spot, then the weekend of the event, they get to sleep in their own beds if they want, and drive a few minutes to the course before their rounds. Everyone else has to pony up gas money, find pet/child care, pay for a hotel or pack up all the camping gear, and make the trek (hey Seattle, is this a trek?). Hell, they don't even have to worry about running the event!

Some people that want to play this event are not going to get in, and I feel bad about that, like I always do, and it's never fair, no mater how the spots get filled. All of the whining now and later are not going to change that.

We are offering ALL of you an opportunity to not have to play the on-line roulette game and claim a spot. So if you want it, pull together a car pool, find a friend in Portland that you can enjoy a Friday evening or two with, and play a couple of fun rounds of disc golf on courses you don't normally get to play, and then I'll see you at GNO.

Portland disc golfers, if you want, offer your homes to your out of town disc golf friends, enjoy an evening with friends you don't get to see that often and take advantage of this convenient offer before you make the trek down to Roseburg in April.

Are you really enjoying all the worrying over this? Go play some golf and have some fun people.

OLE #4: Feb 5th, Pier Park
                OLE #5: March 5th, Stub Stuart (I can't wait for this one!!)

You gotta know how much I really love this sport to deal with all this... It's so much easier to just sit on the sidelines, enjoy what's given to you, and complain when it's not just how you wanted it. All my love to all the TDs that are running events to build this sport and create an amazing disc golf community... I know not all of their voices are being heard here.

Comment

$200+

My guess

Comment

You all really want to see spots auctioned?

Comment

I think it would be sweet to see spots on Ebay up for bid.

Comment

"Where is the incentive for those of us who live on the other side of the mountains? If you want to reward those with tenacity, how about the folks who actually play in snow? Just sayin!"

Yeah snow golf! Yes, we realize we are unable to reward all winter disc golf play, and that's why we are reserving most spots for on-line registration.

If you live on this side of the mountains, this might be just the motivation you were needing to get off the couch and try out some OLE disc golf!
                        Since I can't make the last two OLE events, but think it is a great way for you guys to raise money for the OLE. I was wondering if I could send you guys entry fees for two events and get one of those spots?
                        My drunken words are my sober thoughts!

Comment

You all really want to see spots auctioned?
                          I would say one or two spots at most, but yes.

Comment

sour bings

Teresa here,
                            This is the Great Northwest Open. That means Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nor Cal and even Montana. If anything Southern OR golfers get a cherry of a deal. All they have to do is secure a spot, then the weekend of the event, they get to sleep in their own beds if they want, and drive a few minutes to the course before their rounds. Everyone else has to pony up gas money, find pet/child care, pay for a hotel or pack up all the camping gear, and make the trek (hey Seattle, is this a trek?).
                            Actually.......
                            If a person from Medford traveled to PDX two times, (I didn't google it but,) I'm thinking it would be close to a 1,000 mile round trip trek.
                            Then they would have to : pony up for gas money, find pet/child care, pay for a hotel, or pack up the camping gear and make the trek TWO times.

To Whistlers Bend, I think Seattle is about a 750 mile round trip which is definitely a trek, but, it's a ONE time trek and these folks are ending up at Whistlers which usually makes the trek worth it.

Sorry, but I don't see any cherry of a deal.

's Rocs
                            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                            - Anonymous

Comment

I will be attending the next two OLEs so that I can play in the GNO without worrying about getting in on the online raffle.

I would also like to extend some couch/floor space for anyone who is traveling from out of town and needs a place to crash. Let me know.

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

What happens if more than fifty people show up at the next two OLE events in hopes of securing a spot to the GNO?
                                Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X