Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocer180 View Post
    GREAT POINT SCOTTY
    Yah good point!! So how many spots are going to saved for the BSF??

Comment

Can I just say that the drama on the forums is one thing I DEFINITELY don't miss about Oregon golf. If you don't like how a tournament is going to be run then don't play in it. If you think you know a better way then schedule one the next weekend and run it your way. If someone is running a tournament that you don't like, the only cost to you is having the course tied up for a weekend. There is no other expense or bother to your life. It's simply one more thing you can do that weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by bvdisc View Post
        Can I just say that the drama on the forums is one thing I DEFINITELY don't miss about Oregon golf. If you don't like how a tournament is going to be run then don't play in it. If you think you know a better way then schedule one the next weekend and run it your way. If someone is running a tournament that you don't like, the only cost to you is having the course tied up for a weekend. There is no other expense or bother to your life. It's simply one more thing you can do that weekend.
        "The only travesty worse than the one you have already suffered is your unwillingness to do anything about it." Pud Smith

Comment

Originally posted by bvdisc View Post
          If you don't like how a forum is going to be posted to then don't read it?

J/K! How's it going Ben? How is the disc golf drama where you are?

Seems like this happens every year - people just can't get it through their heads that the TD gets to decide what happens and players can take it, leave it, or TD their own tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by NoLoPutts View Post
            Yah good point!! So how many spots are going to saved for the BSF??
            BSF is full!

Bob

ps...... j/k

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
              Seems like this happens every year - people just can't get it through their heads that the TD gets to decide what happens and players can take it, leave it, or TD their own tournament.
              Yes but regardless people will be put off at not bring represented. If the protagonists will be so autocratic as to not even want to discuss the issue, then they (you) might as well at least realize that perceived fatalism never goes over well. If the message is "support Portland area disc golf" and a TD wants to stand by that than fine. Others will argue but at least it is honest. To lead instead with "run your own tourney or shutup" (is what I have been hearing at least) is yes, one clear way of thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryon_Harris View Post
                Yes but regardless people will be put off at not bring represented. If the protagonists will be so autocratic as to not even want to discuss the issue, then they (you) might as well at least realize that perceived fatalism never goes over well. If the message is "support Portland area disc golf" and a TD wants to stand by that than fine. Others will argue but at least it is honest. To lead instead with "run your own tourney or shutup" (is what I have been hearing at least) is yes, one clear way of thinking.
                If you're looking at me to represent the people running this tournament you're looking in the wrong place. I'm just another player who has less of a chance to get in. I personally think the decision to hold the tournament one week before another tournament, and to hold spots for OLE players is not a great decision. But I'm not under the illusion that Tom gives a crap what I think, or that I have a right to tell him what he "should" do.

I haven't told anyone to shut up, and I don't think anyone else has either. To me it's an "it is what it is" situation, and all the furor is noise. I understand it completely, but as has been stated before, the bottom line is that it's the TD's tournament.

Here's a better thing to consider: what's the big deal about the GNO? Is it the history? The name? Why can't anyone else hold a similar or even better tournament at Whistler's? Is this tournament even a part of a 2011 Oregon Series? IS there even a 2011 Oregon Series?

If so many people are upset every single year about the GNO, who gets in, who is excluded...then why does everyone still want to play it? It's just another tournament. It's not run by a club anymore, it's not run by locals... so what's the big deal? (besides the fact that Whistler's is awesome, the Spring can be nice at the park, and everyone else will be playing?) Like I mentioned upthread, I would much rather play a big tournament there when the weather is warm. Should I start complaining now that someone hasn't made that happen for me?

Comment

If you're looking at me to represent the people running this tournament you're looking in the wrong place. I'm just another player who has less of a chance to get in. I personally think the decision to hold the tournament one week before another tournament, and to hold spots for OLE players is not a great decision. But I'm not under the illusion that Tom gives a crap what I think, or that I have a right to tell him what he "should" do.

I haven't told anyone to shut up, and I don't think anyone else has either. To me it's an "it is what it is" situation, and all the furor is noise. I understand it completely, but as has been stated before, the bottom line is that it's the TD's tournament.

Here's a better thing to consider: what's the big deal about the GNO? Is it the history? The name? Why can't anyone else hold a similar or even better tournament at Whistler's? Is this tournament even a part of a 2011 Oregon Series? IS there even a 2011 Oregon Series?

If so many people are upset every single year about the GNO, who gets in, who is excluded...then why does everyone still want to play it? It's just another tournament. It's not run by a club anymore, it's not run by locals... so what's the big deal? (besides the fact that Whistler's is awesome, the Spring can be nice at the park, and everyone else will be playing?) Like I mentioned upthread, I would much rather play a big tournament there when the weather is warm. Should I start complaining now that someone hasn't made that happen for me?
                  Sorry you have missed out Matt B, but some people already taken care of this for you.

Comment

There were 4 great events at Whistler's last year GNO, WBDS, Whistlin' Disc Open, and NUI. There will be 4 more events there this year and only 1 will give preferential treatment to a certain region in Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by the flogging putter View Post
                      Sorry you have missed out Matt B, but some people already taken care of this for you.
                      I haven't missed out on anything. It was a rhetorical question, y'know? I think you guys are doing a great job hosting more gigs at Whistler's, and I'm sure they'll only get bigger and better. Maybe this whole GNO situation will help that happen.
                      Last edited by Matt B.; January 23rd, 2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rocer180 View Post
                        Flash there has been a PDGA event at whistlers ran by southern Oregon golfers the last two years. They were both well ran events that everybody who wanted to get in had the same opportunity. It didn't matter if you spent your time shooting at coffie can tones in a cow pasture or on the beautiful fairways of milo shooting at innova disccatchers.

I'm not attacking anybody or there efforts. ? Is the OLE series and the GNO a part of the same series or just ran by the same people?

Flash to imply that people are sitting on their couches not doing anything and pointing out other disc golf communities in Oregon is a conceited thing to do! could alienate yourself from other golfers at future events.

Both OLE and GNO are run by the same person Tom Embree! And the reason the Great Northwest Open is written onto the hearts of Disc golfers is due to the efforts or Cris Bellinger, Teresa Trueba, Tom Embree and the Eugene Disc Golf Club.

Alienate myself from who? I pointed out the different areas of Oregon that have strong disc golf followings not that they need to get off the couch. These areas each can drive their own events at any course they want and have a strong response from any disc golfer in Oregon. Go back and reread my post. Although even in those areas I mentioned I bet 10 percent are doing 90% of the work of running events.

Its funny how you think that just because the OLE events happen in PDX, which really Trojan disc golf park is not neither is Timber that all Portland area disc golfers are getting a great chance at attending the GNO. There are many, many events, sanctioned and not-sanctioned in the Portland-Vancouver area that unless your life is only disc golf that you could not make them all. I am betting right now that only 1-2% of Portland Disc Golfers would even qualify for the 50 spot exemption.

How many people on this thread have run an event on their own? How many people on this thread even aspire to run an event on their own year after year. When you have run events as long as Teresa and Tom you kind of get to do what you want. Sure what you want may not be the most politically correct but it is what it is. They have their following of players and their event will fill. If you want to play be ready to sign up online when the bell dings!

I too would rather play Whistlers in warmer weather so I can float the river between rounds.
                        Last edited by Flash; January 23rd, 2011, 12:02 PM.
                        PDGA #25296
                        Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by the flogging putter View Post
                          There were 4 great events at Whistler's last year GNO, WBDS, Whistlin' Disc Open, and NUI. There will be 4 more events there this year and only 1 will give preferential treatment to a certain region in Oregon.
                          I guess this makes the decision of which tournaments to play easier. Tournaments are not a democratic process. People choose a date, they choose a course, and then finally they set the format. The democracy comes in when you decide to play it or not. Entitlement is a b!tch is the easiest thing to say. This tournament is run by the people by organize it not the people who attend it. If 10 people register it is a statement that something is wrong. If it fills up in a day then that probably means the tournament meets the needs of many.
                          "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

Also for the record I cannot make any of the events in the OLE series and I live in Portland. I am in the running for a spot just like those of you who are not making the drive to Portland.
                            "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

Your right I put some shit on you which you didn't say. My bad. Sry

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Philips View Post
                                Tournaments are not a democratic process. People choose a date, they choose a course, and then finally they set the format. The democracy comes in when you decide to play it or not. This tournament is run by the people by organize it not the people who attend it. If 10 people register it is a statement that something is wrong. If it fills up in a day then that probably means the tournament meets the needs of many.
                                Dead on!

Any tourney that fills is a good one. And each that does is a call for someone to step up and run another. In a state as disc crazy as Oregon is, the PDGA should modify distance/tier specs to allow more events.

A June weekend with an A Tier at Milo and a B at Whistler sounds like a weekend of wonderful choices. Or an October C at Pier and another at Dabney at the same time also works. Wouldn't both events fill? I haven't looked it up, but in terms of D-C tier "level" (or above) events, aren't their at least 50-75 being run (currently as PDGA) or potentially (all those 60+ player events being run as weeklies/annuals...) right now?

In the quick decade I've been playing, this sport has BOOMED. Any decently scheduled, properly located, PDGA sanctioned, moderately well-run event will fill. If the economy was better I believe at least 100 PDGA events could be held between Eugene and Vancouver yearly. With a minimum field size of 72. Yes? No?

I think part of the "emotions" here come from the fact that, people who played in the first BSF or the first WBDS (thanks Jesse) now feel frustrated that they don't know if they will be able to play in the next event- unless they have the proper internet/friend access. I think many (me a little) feel they should have a little "better" chance of getting into a given event than some newbie (three or less years +/-) with a fast internet connection.

Blah, blah, blah...

What Jason said.
                                Last edited by Wes Hansen; January 24th, 2011, 07:36 AM. Reason: said Sean, meant Jason- thanks for asking

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X