Festivus X 2011 - Saturday, Jan 29th 2011 Adair Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Festivus X 2011 - Saturday, Jan 29th 2011 Adair

    Hi all,

    The 10th annual winter event is being held at Adair on Saturday, January 29th. I guess most of the team golf folks might stay up in Portland. You can get to the Festivus registration form from the WDGC website. http://www.kaser.com/wdgc/tournaments.html

    No on-line registration is being set up and the event is expected to be full by early-mid January.

    As per Festivus tradition's the club will provide a nice hot lunch including multiple pots of chili and other options for all participants. Sponsorship from Calapooia Brewing in Albany. Umbrellas and Innova tourney stamped discs are in the works for players packs. Umbrellas for all, discs for Ams with extras available for sale/scrip.

    There will be 2 rounds of 22 holes at Adair limited to 88 participants. There will be several holes different than recent years. Flow changes will cause the gravel parking lot to be closed but the lower paved parking lot will remain open. No camping arrangements are planned for this time of year.

    It will be a blast regardless of the weather. Colin Sexton is the defending Open Champion in possession of the Festivus Pole.

    Happy Festivus!

    Greg

  • #2
    why is this called a festivus tourney when its the wrong day and month as festivus? festivus is over and 12 months away till next years. its not like christmas that extends from november first through the new year at this point.

    Comment


    • #3
      was even posted 2 days after festivus!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jonesy View Post
        why is this called a festivus tourney when its the wrong day and month as festivus? Festivus is over and 12 months away till next years. Its not like christmas that extends from november first through the new year at this point.
        How DARE they!

        Comment


        • #5
          I plan on sending in my registration asap.
          Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

          DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jonesy View Post
            why is this called a festivus tourney when its the wrong day and month as festivus? festivus is over and 12 months away till next years. its not like christmas that extends from november first through the new year at this point.
            A fair question, but who's to say what date Festivus should be on? I saw your follow up suggesting that Festivus is on the 23rd. I'm respectfully interested in your source.

            Like the Super Bowl this tournament was not originally named Festivus. The first WDGC hosted event at Adair in January 2002 run by Jay Sexton, and played on the first 10 baskets installed and eight temporary holes. Many pioneered by Pat Farrell who set up many temporary course tourneys. I started running it the second year what I named Winter Festivus initially.

            As the TD, and an avid football fan, I have scheduled the event for the Saturday of the weekend the NFL takes off before the Superbowl for many years. A precursor of sorts was a Superbowl tourney that I ran the Saturday of Superbowl weekend on a temp course at Avery Park in January 2001.

            I could have taken the Super Bowl them forward to Adair but Festivus has broader appeal than Football to disc golfers. Also if I ran this in late December I would have to have fewer holes and players to get 2 rounds in. On very wet days it is a struggle at the end of January.

            Comment


            • #7
              Festivus for the rest of us!
              Training to be a bagger

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by discgolfgreg View Post
                A fair question, but who's to say what date Festivus should be on? I saw your follow up suggesting that Festivus is on the 23rd. I'm respectfully interested in your source.

                Like the Super Bowl this tournament was not originally named Festivus. The first WDGC hosted event at Adair in January 2002 run by Jay Sexton, and played on the first 10 baskets installed and eight temporary holes. Many pioneered by Pat Farrell who set up many temporary course tourneys. I started running it the second year what I named Winter Festivus initially.

                As the TD, and an avid football fan, I have scheduled the event for the Saturday of the weekend the NFL takes off before the Superbowl for many years. A precursor of sorts was a Superbowl tourney that I ran the Saturday of Superbowl weekend on a temp course at Avery Park in January 2001.

                I could have taken the Super Bowl them forward to Adair but Festivus has broader appeal than Football to disc golfers. Also if I ran this in late December I would have to have fewer holes and players to get 2 rounds in. On very wet days it is a struggle at the end of January.

                Festivus is one of the most fun tournaments in Oregon, and kudos to Greg for running it every year! I think when a tournament reaches it's tenth year it can probably be called whatever the TD wants to call it. Especially when the lunch is delicious and free and a keg of free beer shows up. But that's just the opinion of one person who doesn't actually take holidays popularized by television shows too seriously.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                  Festivus is one of the most fun tournaments in Oregon, and kudos to Greg for running it every year! I think when a tournament reaches it's tenth year it can probably be called whatever the TD wants to call it. Especially when the lunch is delicious and free and a keg of free beer shows up. But that's just the opinion of one person who doesn't actually take holidays popularized by television shows too seriously.
                  I agree Fetivus is a super fun tournament, and I am so dissapointed I have to miss it this year. Too bad it is on a team disc golf weekend. Maybe next year.

                  Cindy
                  Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                  2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                  Stumptown #176
                  PDGA #37716

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes but a Saturday team disc golf day. Rallying the troops...
                    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
                      I agree Fetivus is a super fun tournament, and I am so dissapointed I have to miss it this year. Too bad it is on a team disc golf weekend. Maybe next year.

                      Cindy
                      Is there a weekend in the winter that isn't a team disc golf weekend?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                        Is there a weekend in the winter that isn't a team disc golf weekend?
                        This is the team golf schedule, so yes there are quite a few weekends that are not team golf weekends. There are other events going on though I realize. It's just the way it is in these parts there are lots of events going on all year round, so it is hard not to overlap. Hopefully it works out for next year because I really love the Festivus event.


                        10/9-10/2010 Preliminaries
                        10/23-24/2010 Week #1 Matches
                        11/6-7/2010 Week #2 Matches
                        11/20-21/2010 Week #3 Matches
                        12/4-5/2010 Week #4 Matches
                        12/11-12/2010 Week #5 Matches
                        MID WINTER BREAK
                        1/1-2/2011 Week #6 Matches
                        1/15-16/2011 Week #7 Matches
                        1/29-30/2011 Week #8 Matches
                        2/12-13/2011 Week #9 Matches
                        2/26-27/2011 OTDG Championships

                        Cindy
                        Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                        2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                        Stumptown #176
                        PDGA #37716

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sunday team! Happy to play another Festivus which was my first tourney ever! Festivus 5 or maybe even 4.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Celeste View Post
                            Sunday team! Happy to play another Festivus which was my first tourney ever! Festivus 5 or maybe even 4.
                            Wow! Festivus 5 or 4? You must be REALLY old!

                            Bob

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jonesy View Post
                              why is this called a festivus tourney when its the wrong day and month as festivus? festivus is over and 12 months away till next years. its not like christmas that extends from november first through the new year at this point.
                              Festivus started in February of 1966 then moved to December 23rd.

                              Now it is celebrated on the Saturday 1 week before Superbowl Sunday and has been for many years. How do I know this? Because it is on the schedule.

                              Another Festivus miricle!

                              E

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X