Stumptown Slosh Series #2 - Sunday, December 19th at Dabney State Park Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Cindy

Comment

Is this one going to be PDGA sanctioned?

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
        Pssst.. That would be: "speech".
        Sorry, I was thinking about the beach.
        Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Harms View Post
          Is this one going to be PDGA sanctioned?
          Yes the insurance is a must for the club liability and the state parks peace of mind.

Here it is!
          http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=11095
          PDGA #25296
          Stumptown #34

Comment

Only 19 days until Slosh #2 at Dabney. Sign up HERE!

Come on folks, let's get out there and splash around!!!

Don't forget about the Next Adventure $250 Scrip Ace Pot for 2011 Stumptown members.
            "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

yay, slosh!!! and merry discmas to all!!!
              "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
              Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

In case you were wondering...

Here are the pin positions I have requested for the Slosh #2 at Dabney. I'm not 100% sure I will get everything I have requested, but I remain hopeful.

Hole #1: Long - By Tee #2
                Hole #2: Far left - Under the tree
                Hole #3: Left - On the mound
                Hole #4: Short - on walkout to Tee #5
                Hole #5: Long - across bridge
                Hole #6: Far Left - up the hill
                Hole #7: Straight - Near Tee #8
                Hole #8: Long - Down by the creek
                Hole #9: Left - up by Tee #10
                Hole #10: Straight - out in the field
                Hole #11: Right - Short of Tee #12
                Hole #12: Short - The usual
                Hole #13: Long - Up on the flat (if possible)
                Hole #14: Long - Near Tee #15
                Hole #15: Long - Near the edge.
                Hole #16: Long - Near Tee #17
                Hole #17: Long - Near the edge
                Hole #18: Straight - Up top on the flat

Jeff
                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I keep thinking about this. It bugs me.

Someone is putting up an ace pot to a C tier tournament but I have to be a member of a particular Disc Golf club to win said ace pot.

I have nothing bad to say about this (or any) Disc Golf club nor about anyone who sponsors a Disc Golf tournament. Just the opposite!

BUT if I pay my entry into a tournament (and extra if not PDGA member), why must I also be a member of said Disc Golf club. My Paid entry is not enough?

Yes, Membership is cheap but not the point. And yes, club membership should have advantages but this seems to be Ö I donít know Ö a club tournament not a PDGA tier C tournament put on by a club.

Another thing, script is be supported by the same sponsor as the sponsor of the ace pot, not the Disc Golf club. This appears that the sponsor and club have a ďthingĒ going on. Nothing wrong there but leaves a funny taste in my mouth. Is that what the sponsor and or the club are working toward? I donít think so but that is my feeling.

Really, Iím not bashing. Itís just that I keep thinking about this and it feels a tiny bit more like half empty than like half full.

That being said, I had a blast at one of last seasons Slosh tournaments and had my one and only ace. I did not know that there was an ace pot but I was contacted later and sent my split. I was really on cloud nine to sneak a Pro Cobra into hole 14 during a tournament but it was really cool that Stump Town Disc Golf made sure that I got my part of the ace pot. Thank you again!

Sincerely,
                  Phillip Kurtz (PhilStomp)

Comment

Originally posted by PhilStomp View Post

Someone is putting up an ace pot to a C tier tournament but I have to be a member of a particular Disc Golf club to win said ace pot.

I have nothing bad to say about this (or any) Disc Golf club nor about anyone who sponsors a Disc Golf tournament. Just the opposite!

BUT if I pay my entry into a tournament (and extra if not PDGA member), why must I also be a member of said Disc Golf club. My Paid entry is not enough?

Yes, Membership is cheap but not the point. And yes, club membership should have advantages but this seems to be Ö I donít know Ö a club tournament not a PDGA tier C tournament put on by a club.

Another thing, script is be supported by the same sponsor as the sponsor of the ace pot, not the Disc Golf club. This appears that the sponsor and club have a ďthingĒ going on. Nothing wrong there but leaves a funny taste in my mouth. Is that what the sponsor and or the club are working toward? I donít think so but that is my feeling.

Really, Iím not bashing. Itís just that I keep thinking about this and it feels a tiny bit more like half empty than like half full.

That being said, I had a blast at one of last seasons Slosh tournaments and had my one and only ace. I did not know that there was an ace pot but I was contacted later and sent my split. I was really on cloud nine to sneak a Pro Cobra into hole 14 during a tournament but it was really cool that Stump Town Disc Golf made sure that I got my part of the ace pot. Thank you again!

Sincerely,
                    I completely understand the point you are making, however I think you've missed a few facts that might sway your opinion a bit.

First off, the club and Next Adventure definitely "have something going on" and we're not only happy about it, but we advertise it. This is no secret. It is, however, a very good thing for both the club AND the players. Win-Win with no losers in the deal.

On the scrip side of things. Stumptown has dealt with a number of different companies when issuing scrip, but more often than not it is for Next Adventure. Why? Because they not only do things like the above ace pot, but they also very often throw in additional swag (water bottles, towels, etc...) for us to include in the players packs. They also give us an excellent deal for our scrip as another means of sweetening up the pot for the amateur players. Every time we run a tournament Next Adventure gives us an extra thirty cents on the dollar to add to that scrip total. So everyone gets a little bit better payout. How is this not awesome?

As for the Ace Pot...

I guess I should preface this with the fact that 9 times out of 10 tournament ace pots are optional. The ace pot fund is usually a separate fee during registration that is in addition to the cost of entering the tourney. There is usually a little check box that says... Do you want to put in an additional $1 for ace pot? I'm not sure exactly how we did it on the last Slosh, but that is usually how we set up the registration. We did not offer that for this years Slosh series because Next Adventure offered us the $250 Ace Pot.

How did this deal come around? At our last club meeting we were discussing the upcoming Slosh series as well as ways to motivate people to renew memberships for the upcoming year. At this point Bryan from Next Adventure said "I'll make a $250 Ace Pot available for anyone who has renewed their membership for 2011". Thats it.

So our motivation was very clear, we wanted to get people to renew and Next Adventure generously offered to throw in something to help motivate them to do so. There was and is no diabolical plan here... just a bunch of people trying to put on cool tournaments... for YOU.

I'd also like to suggest that you drop by one of our club meetings if you have any doubts, questions or concerns about how Stumptown operates. We definitely prefer it when people come out and see what we really are all about so they can form an educated opinion of our club. Plus, we can always use a few more people willing to step up and help out.

I hope this clears things up for you.
                    Last edited by Bullseye; December 5th, 2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

well said, hagerty, well said.

phil, as someone who golfed for years (and i mean years... many, many years...) without being a member of anything, it makes me feel nothing but good to be a member of stumptown. stumptown does an amazing amount of everything for this thing that we love called disc golf... we all want disc golf to prosper and for there to be more, more, more of what we love... more courses, more tournies (if you're into that stuff)... just more golf, and in the portland area, dude, stumptown and next adventure are such a staunch supporters... they really make it happen... all i do is pay 'em 10 bucks... and they make it happen and they make just about everything more awesome in my world of disc golf... if only i could just pay anybody 10 bucks and have such awesome stuff happen... here you go, West Oregon Electric, 10 bucks, now let's have no more week long power outages. here, propane company, 10 bucks. warm house all year long. here you go, obama, 10 bucks. fix the country. c'mon, phil, 10 bucks... and you get a laminated card you can break into your neighbor's house with (of course, i had her permission... i am not condoning burglary...)

peace,
                      emmarose
                      "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                      Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Sincerely,
                        Eh, you don't want to join a club, don't join a club.
                        You don't want to buy in to a $10 series acepot, don't buy in to a $10 series acepot.
                        You don't want to play a tournament, don't play a tournament.

When you put all the work in to run a tournament you can do what you want.

Comment

Sincerely,
                          It's called marketing strategy... simple, growth comes from incentives and relationship building. The perks of Stumptown membership are abundant, simply join and the rewards will flood you

Comment

All signed up

Cindy
                            Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                            2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                            Stumptown #176
                            PDGA #37716

Comment

Phil, I generally take a Groucho Marks stance to joining clubs, however as a disc enthusiast since 1971 I have always supported local clubs, and am an original Stumptown member. Having said that I must include that I rarely play tournaments of any kind, and won't be playing any of the Slosh series. However, the monetary benefits I received alone in 2010 from NA for being a SDG member paid for the membership price many times over. I support the club and its partnership with NA, it has done nothing but paid benefits to the greater PDX DG community. I can respect your questioning of the connections, but rest assured there is no ulterior motive by either party. However, if you are looking to participate in a tournament that will be conducted at the highest level, a SDG tourney is for you. Go, play, have fun, keep the drama on the stage.
                              'J'
                              educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                                10 bucks... and you get a laminated card you can break into your neighbor's house with
                                how do i get my card?
                                sigpic
                                http://www.discgolfscene.com/clubs/DISC_GOLF_OR_DIE

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X