Falling Leaves Fundraiser @ Jerry Miller DGC @ Camp Taloali - Sunday Nov. 21? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falling Leaves Fundraiser @ Jerry Miller DGC @ Camp Taloali - Sunday Nov. 21?

With 6-8 more alt pins going in soon. I want to host a tournament to bring in a little more dough for the course projects as well as get some players out to enjoy Jerry Miller DGC @ Camp Taloali's improvements. Not going with PDGA sanctioned to keep $ going to course fund, payout and it's less than 30 days. Am going to make it modified to make the course longer and incorporate the main camp to make 9 to 10 par 4's. Only catch is I would need 7 baskets from players. This would be a 19 hole par 66-67. Pro gets all the cash, Amateurs get prizes. Bring your own lunch, 30 minutes after last card turns in their card.
    Pro - $30
    Am - $20
    ($3 to camp day use fee, $5 to course fund, rest goes to payout)

Would this be something that you all would be interested in going to?

Ok, this will happen, player's meeting at 930am, means registration at 9-930 at the garage on the main camp ground. I will be at Taloali saturday the 20th setting up from noon to 3pm, anyone who comes out to help work on the course by cleaning, setting up, bringing a portable basket for us to use etc, and contacts me ahead of time, will be able to stay in the cabins for free saturday night before the sunday tournament.

Some of us will be at Taloali moving the baskets and playing the course on this thursday around 10am.

Comment

The new layout is much more like a challenging course now, 8 alt pins in place and in use, 2 more being moved next week. Discgolfcoursereview is pretty much updated except for new pictures.

Comment

Sounds awesome. More details? Check-in start time? 2 rounds of singles? Will it be sanctioned? Any player pack? Is it payout, or a fundraiser for the camp, or other? Any food? Any catchy name for the event? I think this info will get people stoked and sounding off. Thanks!
        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
          Sounds awesome. More details? Check-in start time? 2 rounds of singles? Will it be sanctioned? Any player pack? Is it payout, or a fundraiser for the camp, or other? Any food? Any catchy name for the event? I think this info will get people stoked and sounding off. Thanks!
          Ooops, I named it on the capitalcity dg forum and put some info on there and not here...

"Falling Leaves Fundraiser @ Jerry Miller DGC @ Camp Taloali" - the leaves are HUGE and stacked right now but mostly in the rough as the fairways are mostly clear and will be worked on more this week.

Not sanctioned due to last minute and want to keep the money in the fundraiser and payout as well as recruiting those non pdga members out to a tournament.

Check in time 9-930. Players meeting 9:30, tee off ASAP.

Short lunch, bring your own lunch. Lunch will be shorter than it was at the Slosh, which was fast. *stayton is 5 minutes away but might not be enough time*

$30 for pro divisions
          $20 for am divisions
          3 makes a division
          shooting for pro men, pro women, pro masters, adv am, int am, adv masters to start...

$3 goes to CT Day Use fee, $5 goes to Course funds, rest goes to payout. Pros is Cash, AMs is scrip to the discs I have on hand; I have about 150 new discs along with towels, shirts, water bottles etc.

Anyone who CONTACTS me ahead of time and meets me out at the camp on SATURDAY between 12 and 3 with either a portable basket for us to use for Sunday or help work on the main course as needed can get free lodging in the cabins Saturday night, but need to communicate with me ahead of time so I can work with the caretakers and camp board ahead of time. THIS IS A SUPER CHAMP DEAL AS THE CABINS ARE $40 A NIGHT.

The main course has now 10 alt pins in the ground and all of them are in the new positions, which is a dramatic change from the original layout. There will be 5 to 7 holes used on the main campground pending portables that will range from 435 - 600 feet in length and these have been measured with tape last week. Map will be released soon. We will not be using all 18 of the holes on the main course as this is a modified tournament with lots of par 4's to bring out all your skills.

Preliminary Plan for tournament holes on the Jerry Miller course

2 Long - 310'
          3 tee to 4 short *new pin in trees* - 575' par 4
          5 Long - 450' par 4
          6 left - 225' blind
          7 tee to 8 long - Mando left of tree/white barrel between 7 basket and 8 fairway 270' down. 509' par 4
          10 Normal - 261'
          11 Long - 470' Par 4
          12 Long - 270'
          13 Long - 330'
          14 Long - 345'
          15 modified tee (50-100 back onto the trail forcing trees behind normal tee to come into play)

Main campground temp holes map and description coming soon.... all these will be par 4's
          Last edited by snap7times; November 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Main Ground Holes
            Temp A - From green grass area across road from outlet of hole 18 of course to teepee area - 650'
            Temp B - West Cabins to horse shoe pits - 435'
            Temp C - Pool to River with double Mando - 475'
            Temp D - Road near River to Canteen area w mando - 525'
            Not measured Temp E - Pavillion to river cliff - 400'
            Not measured Temp F - River berm through tunnel to cabins - 500'
            Not measured Temp G - Cabins to Road near 17 and 18 of Jerry Miller course (crosses Temp A fairway) - 500

If all goes well, 7 portable baskets are brought in. 4 par 4's on the Jerry Miller Course and 6/7 par 4's on the temp set up to make a 18 hole par 64 or 65. Should be fun and fast.

Comment

Preliminary measurements put the course at 7515 feet par 64. This will separate the pros from the amateurs. Hope the pros come to this one as it's not every day you get to play some par 4 golf...

Comment

Maps

Here are 3 maps showing the layout for sunday.
                A scorecard has been made specifically for this tournament listing pars and feet.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                  Here are 3 maps showing the layout for sunday.
                  A scorecard has been made specifically for this tournament listing pars and feet.
                  That "F" hole looks crazy. It was hard enough at half that length and now it goes all the way down the road to the left and takes a right turn to the basket. That's definitely a five for me or maybe a six.
                  We are going to need a calculator to add up my score for this course.

Comment

I went out there today to measure Holes E, F and G as well as mark tees and baskets on A, E, F, G. Moved baskets 12 and 13 to their new long pin placements and did a little tree trimming. The Caretaker should be widening the fairways on 11 and 13 in the next 3 days. He is turning back on the hot water for the bathrooms so there are hot showers on Saturday and Sunday.
                    Hole E, F and G are back to back to back challenging holes that will make you want to do your best. Hole E is pretty much a straight 440 shot to the river with a basket on a 3 foot stump that is already on a 2-3 foot berm by the river and the river is about 25-30 feet behind the basket. The top guns will be gunning for an epic birdie on this hole as most will leave verrryyy satisfied with a par 3.
                    Hole F has plenty of options on how to get to the basket, but there will be a mando added to this to force throws off the tee down the tunnel instead of allowing some throws back to E's teepad. You can either throw a 220-250 hyzer skip to the left down the road towards the opening and then sidearm the 2nd shot out into the opening towards the basket or shoot through the trees straight up and hope for a good lie that will leave a nice 2nd shot about 250-300 from the basket through some 15-25 foot gaps. This hole will combine skill and strategy and removes power.
                    Hole G is easier but has trees hanging down eliminating the power hyzer for righties and the last 150 feet tunnels toward a water tunnel with a road above it with the basket right on the edge. The road is about 4-5 feet high so birdie putts will be shooting up to a 6-8 foot target.
                    I do expect the scores to vary wildly as the pros will distance themselves from the ams, but this layout should bring out more skill and strategy than usual regardless of the player's skill level.
                    This is going to be epic! 7700 feet par 65... oh yeah...
                    Scorecard is attached here...

Comment

Basket for cabin?

Do you have enough baskets? I might be able to bring some. Haven't been to the camp yet. Wanted to this summer. Just couldn't work it out. Sunday sounds like it should happen. Being lazy and not looking it up. Simple directions would be cool. May see you Saturday and with the O.k. already I'm sure I'll see ya Sunday.

Comment

Take the Hwy 22 exit at Salem and head East 20 miles or so? you will see the Camp exit sign to the right. pretty simple to get there, and of course a great course and a great cause. I wish I could make it.
                        All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trozzle!!! View Post
                          Take the Hwy 22 exit at Salem and head East 20 miles or so? you will see the Camp exit sign to the right. pretty simple to get there, and of course a great course and a great cause. I wish I could make it.
                          Thanks that was way easier.

Comment

haha... the course now has 10 alt pins, all 10 are in the alt pin placements so anyone who played back in May, the course is completely different as are the 7 temp holes on the main grounds.
                            As for directions; hwy 22 east from i-5 towards detroit lake/bend. It's about 16 miles give or take 1 mile. You will see a brown detroit lake sign from a distance before the passing lanes, the camp taloali turn on the right side is about 50 feet before this brown sign. That's extra details for ya.
                            And yes I need baskets, need 7 total. And drive safe please. Will have a coffee machine running on Sunday morning.

Comment

Had some people ask abt weather, camp taloali had a tendency to be much better than surrounding arreas. It is hot and sunny now with blue clear skies

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X