Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$75 does seem like a lot of money for an Am tournament. As Bob reminded me, the Beaver State Fling Registration was $75 and was a Super Tour Event.

I'm not trying to bash this tournament, it just seems like it's too highly priced.
    Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

The Memorial, Masters Cup, BSF were all $75. Most tournaments are in the 40-65 range, whats a few more dollars, especially when they already promising a fat players pack... just be glad it doesn't cost as much as ball golf...

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
        I have disc's, shirts, bags, what I don't have is $75.

Bob

Right, so.... go, right now, go ahead, jump up, head to Next Adventure with about 25 or so, great discs and you will leave with about $75 or so dollars. Are you gone yet?
        Just want to see you playing in this one.
        Training to be a bagger

Comment

Im in, though I'm still pretty new to the sport!

Comment

Hell yeah I am in! see ya'll there!~
            Thunder! Thunder! Thundercat THROW!!!

Comment

Go buy 3 discs a bag a dry fit shirt for less than entry fee and let me know where you get them and I,ll go shopping

Comment

Originally posted by citizens arrest View Post
                Go buy 3 discs a bag a dry fit shirt for less than entry fee and let me know where you get them and I,ll go shopping

u got to have enough shirts and discs to last ya by now........
                "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smobro View Post
                  Take about 25 of your good discs that you got from various tourneys over the years and sell them to NA. Then turn around and give it back to them in the form of registration. IN other words, this tourney is allowing you to actually give away plastic you don't want and use it to pay for the tourney to get more plastic you dont want, but a rad shirt and field bag you do want. AWESOME!
                  So, basically the tourney is free and you will have a blast and get a mad cool players pack with it.

Thanks NA for putting this on. Can't wait.
                  So when Next Adventure (really describes their business model, just needs Your at the beginning).

Do they take new as well as used?
                  If New then at what price do they pay you? Wholesale? Retail? (Retail, yeah right!)

This leads me to two important questions

How does it make you fell when
                  Winnings were valued at one price but returnable for a lesser value?

Then how would you feel
                  If you saw that same disc back on the shelves marked up to retail again?

Side question
                  Does this practice not contradict the concept of "Amateur" status?

Basically, All you are doing is giving the mark up to two different entities and you walk with cash. Exactly like the AM TD (who places) really CASHES IN by excepting his own scrip.
                  rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                    How does it make you fell when
                    Winnings were valued at one price but returnable for a lesser value?

Then how would you feel
                    If you saw that same disc back on the shelves marked up to retail again?

Side question

Basically, All you are doing is giving the mark up to two different entities and you walk with cash. Exactly like the AM TD (who places) really CASHES IN by excepting his own scrip.
                    Jub,
                    I thought you were on the new meds since you haven't brought this up in so long. Please give it a rest. We've been over this issue (ad nauseum) at least three times in the last nine years. The horse is already dead, in fact it's been cremated and the ashes thrown to the wind. I can't take it again captain!

Comment

Jub,

Have you EVER been to Next Adventure? My guess is no.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea if you did a little research before you go shooting your mouth off on a public forum. Next Adventure has been one of the best tournament supporters Portland disc golf has had over past few years. They have been exceptionally generous with us, and they deserve all of the success they have had as result of that support.

Here are just a few of the things Next Adventure does for the disc golf community down here:

1) Next Adventure allows Stumptown Disc Golf to use their store after hours for our club meetings because it is very centralized and convenient for our members. They do this free of charge, and on their own time... and they even buy the pizza and beverages.

2) Next Adventure gives all Stumptown club members a discount in the store, and not just on the disc golf stuff.

3) Next Adventure gives our TDs a scrip bump so our event payouts will be even better than normal at all of our local events.

4) Next Adventure helped us get excellent pricing on 21 custom powdercoated baskets for the Stub Stewart course that will be opening up shortly.

5) Next Adventure is teaming up with Stumptown to provide professional, accurate signage for Pier Park.

6) They allow customers in their store to join the Stumptown club and have helped us increase membership each and every year.

and on an on...

So, back to your uninformed rant...

If New then at what price do they pay you? Wholesale? Retail? (Retail, yeah right!)
                      So what if they buy used discs that players no longer want and then resell them to players who want that disc. Where is the harm in that? Of course they mark those discs up a bit. They are a business, not a charity. Why you would have a problem with that is beyond me.

How does it make you feel when winnings were valued at one price but returnable for a lesser value?
                      I never felt this way... because they bump UP our scrip value to more than it WAS worth.

Then how would you feel if you saw that same disc back on the shelves marked up to retail again?
                      You wont see a used disc selling for retail. Duh. If, however, I did see a used disc in the used disc box for more than I sold it to them for I would say "Good for them.".

I could answer this if any of the points you previously brought up were even slightly valid, so I guess my answer to this is: "WTF?"

Nice try Jub, but it was a swing and a miss. All you've managed to accomplish is insulting one of our biggest supporters down here. Way to go, Jub! </sarcasm>
                      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Yes I agree with everything Jeff stated about Next Adventure they are so super supportive of the disc golfers in our area. Here are a few more things they are doing as well. For one the are the title sponsor for the Chick Flick. We could not put on the best disc golf event for women in the nation without Bryan and Next Adventure. Along with the schwag for the players pack, raffle, ctps, ring or fire that is provided by Bryan and Next Adventure remember when you go to get your lunch and icy cold beer that is provided in your players pack at the Chick Flick not only is it provided by Next Adventure it is cooked and prepared personally by Bryan and the Next Adventure crew. They also cooked lunch Saturday and Sunday at this years BSF.

Also they are sponsoring 3 disc golfers in the community 3 armatures, and one pro. Not too many armatures have the opportunity to have such a generous sponsor, and I and the rest of the Flight Crew are so grateful.

Anyway stop being so grumpy and don't sign up if it is not your cup of tea. I for one can't wait for this event it is going to be just one big disc golf party.

THANKS BRYAN & NEXT ADVENTURE!!!!!
                        Last edited by LegoRules; July 15th, 2010, 06:00 PM.
                        Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                        2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                        Stumptown #176
                        PDGA #37716

Comment

My comments were not necessarily aimed at N/A but the players who buy into the rational that "it was not my money to start with so I don't care who (how much or often) profits off it.

It sounds like N/A is doing some good things but as business it does not pay to sponsor Pros. Sure the ads good but it does not directly translate into sales.

Of course any business would let you take a discount off anything in the store and then increased foot traffic by
                          1. giving the discount to clubbers (a captive audience)
                          2. taking club memberships reinforcing the above statement
                          3. and the euphonium of bumping up just reiterates the point
                          is also a no brain er

here is the disconnect

Used plastic has markings on them and it's pretty obvious that they are used.

New plastic implies that it's straight from the factory and that it was not previously picked or stacked as payout.

Side question

So bottom line is winners don't care if they are getting the shaft as long as it's the losers money.
                          rewindb.com

Comment

Dear Bryan and the NA crew:

Please disregard any and all comments now and in the future from Jub on this forum thread. His comments on this thread have no merit and are not in any way reflective of the opinion of the disc golf community that you support so heavily. He is not engaged in anything that you participate in or support. We are so thankful to have you involved in DG in Portland. I am thrilled if you profit financially by participating. After all, you don't have .org in your web address and shouldn't. Thanks for all you do. again, I hate to have to apologize for Jub, but he clearly needs someone to.

Thanks,

Smo
                            Training to be a bagger

Comment

Is there a player's list online somewhere? How many rounds will be played? I know I can find this information somewhere. Just trying to guide the conversation back towards the actual subject of the thread.
                              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Bagger.
                                Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                                Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                                Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                                Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                                Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X