2010 Beaver State Fling NT May 28, 29, 30/Super tour June 5, 6 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this where I sign up for the BSF?

Just an observation, (from a casual observer, not a disgruntled #103 on the waiting list) but the decision to go with a 2 day Am event in order to cater to the "ams in the area" seems to contradict the philosophy of making the tourney more "National" friendly... not to mention the effort to get more players in(split).

Splitting the weekends to accomodate more players (or pros?)... +144 pros... +16 ams...
    Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; March 16th, 2010, 01:00 AM.
    Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

I second the motion that the 2010 BSF should be a 3 day event with 300 players.

But, if you don't want to change the dates again. Just sort the first round cards by player rating and set the field of players at 200. Sure, some players will play better than their rating and some worse, but it should allow the cards to be shuffled before the needed second round tee times for each player. The odds of higher rated player having a really bad round and needing an early tee time in the second round should be really low, since there is no intermediate division.

Comment

if there is not 80 signed up who play other than MA1 are you going to allow more than 80 MA1 to sign up?
        www.soulpancake.com
        www.bahai.org
        http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Does anyone know if they are going to have the pro clinics again this year, and if so I assume they would be on the pro weekend right?

Cindy
          Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
          2013 Chick Flick co-TD
          Stumptown #176
          PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
            The problem has been that Am's in the area have traditionally balked at the idea of a three day event and so we did not go that route this year when we requested a split weekend with the PDGA. If we have enough support to allow for it then we can surely do that next year.

4 days = 4 rounds, 400 players and awards by 7 pm
            3 days = 4 rounds, 300 players and awards by 4 pm
            2 days = 3 rounds, 160 players and awards by 4 pm

I have been trying to figure out how to make 200 work, it would make for a tough day on Saturday to turn the cards and get the next tee times up for the second round. 200 people 100 per course, with 10 minute tee times with only two starting holes at 1 East and 1 West would take 4 hours to start. That means with a 3.5 hour round that last person at the 11:am start time would have to tee off by 4:00 pm which would be impossible to do if we sorted the cards. If we just issued same group tee times for the second round then we could do it but that would suck for the people who are playing at the top of the field not having each other to push on. I am not sure it is a good idea to change the format of the event and not allow sorting of cards between rounds. They did it one year at Worlds and it was not well received. I know I would not like it as a player. So as much as I would like to get more players though the courses in two days it is not feasible without sacrificing the quality of the event.
            For 2011, start saying it's going to be 99 percent a 3 day event, got a year to get everyone to be ready for a 3 day event.. Tell them if the memorial and masters cup does it and is successful, why not BSF, but only with a 3 day event, there are 4 rounds instead of 3 so still one up on the other 2 tournaments heh.
            and for tee time starts, how about shotgun start at 8am? 5 players on each card at tee times at 1 and 10 at 12 minute intervals? These are all ideas for 2011.
            Some tournaments use both tee times and shotgun on different days etc.

As for changing things in 2010; 160 does seem like the ideal number, unless you do 5 per card at 12 minute intervals or shotgun start, then could probably take on 20-30 more people but prob a bad idea just to increase it so little...

Every year is a building block to success...

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
              Does anyone know if they are going to have the pro clinics again this year, and if so I assume they would be on the pro weekend right?

Cindy
              As of now we have no knowledge of a clinic this year.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Yardbird View Post
                I second the motion that the 2010 BSF should be a 3 day event with 300 players.

But, if you don't want to change the dates again. Just sort the first round cards by player rating and set the field of players at 200. Sure, some players will play better than their rating and some worse, but it should allow the cards to be shuffled before the needed second round tee times for each player. The odds of higher rated player having a really bad round and needing an early tee time in the second round should be really low, since there is no intermediate division.
                Even if we took 40 more players there would still be more than a hundred disgruntled players who did not get into the event. So not allowing a player or players to play on the lead card or second card for shooting a hot round above their rating does not seem like a good trade off.
                PDGA #25296
                Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                  As of now we have no knowledge of a clinic this year.

Bob
                  But it does not mean we can not do something with the Awesome Pro's who are volunteering to help that weekend, we could do something on Saturday during lunch while we handle the scorecards or on Sunday after the rounds but before the awards.

How many people would be interested in doing some Professional tutored clinics at Milo McIver?
                  PDGA #25296
                  Stumptown #34

Comment

How many people would be interested in doing some Professional tutored clinics at Milo McIver?
                    What do you mean by "doing"? If you mean "attending", I am all over that. If you mean "teaching", I am afraid I do not qualify. I suspect you mean "teaching". Awesome pros, sound off!
                    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

But it does not mean we can not do something with the Awesome Pro's who are volunteering to help that weekend, we could do something on Saturday during lunch while we handle the scorecards or on Sunday after the rounds but before the awards.

i just came from a clinic put on by avery nate and val... awesome stuff for those who are trying to improve... and i won sac king tickets whooooaa ayeah, honey, lets drop the baby at the babysitters and root on the kings yeahh...
                      a nice raffle prize is all good... and we had to pay $10 for the clinic to help the pros ofc...

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
                        Is this where I sign up for the BSF?

Just an observation, (from a casual observer, not a disgruntled #103 on the waiting list) but the decision to go with a 2 day Am event in order to cater to the "ams in the area" seems to contradict the philosophy of making the tourney more "National" friendly... not to mention the effort to get more players in(split).

Splitting the weekends to accomodate more players (or pros?)... +144 pros... +16 ams...
                        Waitlist? Don't know where to find this mythical waitlist. I personaly don't have time to sit here and look thru all the these pages and find out where this list is or send P.M. s and not get a response on what number I may be. I would like to see a waitlist up so i can see if I can bother holding my breath or just plan something with the family for the weekend.
                        It seems to me that the crew did create more work for themselves to allow for more pros.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          Waitlist? Don't know where to find this mythical waitlist. I personaly don't have time to sit here and look thru all the these pages and find out where this list is or send P.M. s and not get a response on what number I may be. I would like to see a waitlist up so i can see if I can bother holding my breath or just plan something with the family for the weekend.
                          It seems to me that the crew did create more work for themselves to allow for more pros.
                          As someone that is playing along at home, I will try to help you out. As far as sending a PM and not get a response, it appears that every single person that has sent Flash a PM has received a response in a more than reasonable fashion. Here is a link so you don't have to waste your time looking for one. http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...do=newpm&u=219
                          Seriously. You expect them to type out the entire list for all to see, most of whom probably don't even look at this site, just so you don't have to waste 10 seconds of your evening sending a PM? And on top of that, you call it a "mythical waitlist" and then point out that you never bothered to go through the thread to attempt to look for it?

And yes, they did create more work by allowing for more pros. Lets do the math here. They added an extra weekend to allow for what? Almost twice the pro field and even adding a few more AM's. To me that seems like quite a large accommodation for everybody. Maybe next year a third day will be added to the AM weekend so there will be less complaining on here. Until then, lets stop all the complaining because you didn't happen to get in. Or you can wait to complain that it is a three day event and you can't get the time off work...

*This is not an official announcement of the BSF staff. Just a disgruntled reader.*

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
                            As someone that is playing along at home, I will try to help you out. As far as sending a PM and not get a response, it appears that every single person that has sent Flash a PM has received a response in a more than reasonable fashion. Here is a link so you don't have to waste your time looking for one. http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...do=newpm&u=219
                            Seriously. You expect them to type out the entire list for all to see, most of whom probably don't even look at this site, just so you don't have to waste 10 seconds of your evening sending a PM? And on top of that, you call it a "mythical waitlist" and then point out that you never bothered to go through the thread to attempt to look for it?

And yes, they did create more work by allowing for more pros. Lets do the math here. They added an extra weekend to allow for what? Almost twice the pro field and even adding a few more AM's. To me that seems like quite a large accommodation for everybody. Maybe next year a third day will be added to the AM weekend so there will be less complaining on here. Until then, lets stop all the complaining because you didn't happen to get in. Or you can wait to complain that it is a three day event and you can't get the time off work...

*This is not an official announcement of the BSF staff. Just a disgruntled reader.*

I enjoyed reading that...
                            www.soulpancake.com
                            www.bahai.org
                            http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post

Not mad I didn't get in just want to know where I may stand on the waitlist. Copy and pasting isn't that hard. Put it up on the beaver site it doesn't matter. Go pros!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                                Just wanted to clarify that I did not attempt to sign up for the BSF(because of family plans) and am not #103 on the waitlist, or disgruntled/disappointed in any way. I was just making the observation that the split in weekends would take away a bit of the mystique for me, as an AM1... this actually makes my inability to make it this year sting less, knowing the pro players won't be there on that same weekend...

Opinions are like putters, most of us have a bunch... so I will save the rest of mine until one of the BSF staff start a thread asking for suggestions.
                                Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; March 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM.
                                Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X