X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ODDGA tournament 2/20

Maybe this is a stupid question, but can the hearing play in the upcoming ODDGA tournament?

Originally posted by Jester View Post
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but can the hearing play in the upcoming ODDGA tournament?
    Irrelevant because you'll be at the Inversion!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
      Irrelevant because you'll be at the Inversion!
      Very true! But I was still curious.....

Comment

I'll give a vague answer... We encourage family members of Deaf disc golfers to play, or someone related that knows how to communicate with them at least? It's up to the TD, but generally that's the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
          I'll give a vague answer... We encourage family members of Deaf disc golfers to play, or someone related that knows how to communicate with them at least? It's up to the TD, but generally that's the answer.
          That is what I thought. It may not be clear though to the public out there. I was talking to a group of golfers at the Grove yesterday and when I asked them if they were playing in the final Ninkasi series their response was that there was a tournament at Willamette and Adair the same day and they may play that one instead. I wasn't sure what they were talking about so I came home and reviewed Treelove's awesome calendar. That is why I asked my original question..........

Comment

i planned on playing in the ODDGA tourney, i never thought that they would have it only open to deaf disc golfers because i do not think it would fill.

are there a lot more deaf disc golfers in the area that i know about?

Comment

The united states is one big state in the "Deaf World" because Deaf "hub cities" are spread out just like normal cities are in one state. So they come and go, Oregon a few years ago had 4-6 "Deaf Open" players, now there is only 1, but is strong in Masters division numbers... ODDGA had 2 tournaments last year that had 32 and 36 players which were both records. Local-Regional tournaments across America get anywhere from 10-35 players with Nationals ranging anywhere from 30-100 players. Travel is a big factor, but the NW region is the strongest in numbers compared to the rest of the Nation because of ODDGA and WDDGA.
              If strangers showed up not having any affiliation to the "Deaf world" or "Deaf culture", most TD's would be put in a strange place to turn them away unless they are rookies then probably be ok. The main issue that comes up is if a pro like Nate Sexton or Dion Arlyn showed up, and took all the cash prize, how would that look for both the winners and the Deaf players? Our highest ranked Deaf player right now is two time National Champ from Texas who only has a rating of 965 *he's been hurt for a few years on this throwing arm* but won a B tier Open in Austin Texas before he got hurt with an average of 1010ish... Dale Dunavin from Portland plays almost all the Deaf tournaments, but he has a Deaf son who plays and is the current Vice President for ODDGA and we have no problem with him winning Open or Masters because he has affilations and understands how to communicate and puts in the effort to have fun with everyone involved. However, the annual championship has stricter guidelines for participants.
              This is a sensitve issue brought up every year and we have become more welcoming but with certain common sense involved...
              Robin and I were probably the most active in the Oregon Disc golf scene in 2007-2009, but Robin moved back home to Minn, I moved to NorCal. One of my goals as being DDGA *national organization* president is to encourage more Deaf participants in PDGA tournaments for interaction and visibility and have more hearing players with affiliation with Deaf play in Deaf tournaments... Right now most of the better male players reside in Washington - Vancouver and Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                The united states is one big state in the "Deaf World" because Deaf "hub cities" are spread out just like normal cities are in one state. So they come and go, Oregon a few years ago had 4-6 "Deaf Open" players, now there is only 1, but is strong in Masters division numbers... ODDGA had 2 tournaments last year that had 32 and 36 players which were both records. Local-Regional tournaments across America get anywhere from 10-35 players with Nationals ranging anywhere from 30-100 players. Travel is a big factor, but the NW region is the strongest in numbers compared to the rest of the Nation because of ODDGA and WDDGA.
                If strangers showed up not having any affiliation to the "Deaf world" or "Deaf culture", most TD's would be put in a strange place to turn them away unless they are rookies then probably be ok. The main issue that comes up is if a pro like Nate Sexton or Dion Arlyn showed up, and took all the cash prize, how would that look for both the winners and the Deaf players? Our highest ranked Deaf player right now is two time National Champ from Texas who only has a rating of 965 *he's been hurt for a few years on this throwing arm* but won a B tier Open in Austin Texas before he got hurt with an average of 1010ish... Dale Dunavin from Portland plays almost all the Deaf tournaments, but he has a Deaf son who plays and is the current Vice President for ODDGA and we have no problem with him winning Open or Masters because he has affilations and understands how to communicate and puts in the effort to have fun with everyone involved. However, the annual championship has stricter guidelines for participants.
                This is a sensitve issue brought up every year and we have become more welcoming but with certain common sense involved...
                Robin and I were probably the most active in the Oregon Disc golf scene in 2007-2009, but Robin moved back home to Minn, I moved to NorCal. One of my goals as being DDGA *national organization* president is to encourage more Deaf participants in PDGA tournaments for interaction and visibility and have more hearing players with affiliation with Deaf play in Deaf tournaments... Right now most of the better male players reside in Washington - Vancouver and Seattle.
                Great points Nate and I fully support the decisions of the ODDGA. Hopefully those that are hearing impaired can become more comfortable, and the hearing as well so that we can all have the great experience of playing tournaments together.

Bob

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X