X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon Series 2010 > too soon?

Greetings to you peeps who don't mind donating a ton of time to help promote disc golf by planning and running disc golf events.
    Is it too early to talk about next years series?
    I was specifically inquiring about the GNO at Whistlers Bend.
    I had several discussions with some of the EDGC gang about this event being hosted by the UDA who said they would.
    Any input would be great because as all you gig go getters know time doesn't take it's time and April (if the date stays the same) is right around the corner.
    Thanks,
    da yoseman
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    - Anonymous

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
    Greetings to you peeps who don't mind donating a ton of time to help promote disc golf by planning and running disc golf events.
    I had several discussions with some of the EDGC gang about this event being hosted by the UDA who said they would.
    Any input would be great because as all you gig go getters know time doesn't take it's time and April (if the date stays the same) is right around the corner.
    Thanks,
    da yoseman

Been waiting to hear from you......

Comment

So I know that I won't be there but I think that the Oregon series should try something different with GNO. GNO is a hugely popular event that sells out far to quickly and can't accommodate a large enough field to meet the demand. So the solution I propose is running it as a two weekend event. The first weekend is an AM only weekend and the second weekend is a pro only weekend. For those who can and are interested they can double dip.

I know that this is a bit of a hot button issue with many people but we haven't tried it and I think that this is the perfect event to test the waters. Yes there are many pros and cons but no matter where you come down on the issue it seems like we'll never really know until we try it. If it's awesome then we do it more often. If it sucks then we don't do it anymore. Just my 2 cents. Sad that I won't be there to play it...

Oh and to tie it to the previous conversation, two separate clubs could run the two separate weekends if desired.

Comment

why wont you play it? and regardless of what happens, it gotta happen...
        May 7-10 is on at camp taloali, gonna be tier B but charity so quite a chunk goes to the camp, but if y'all want that to be part of Oregon series, cool w me... *yeah i know i over stepping my bounds*

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
          why wont you play it? and regardless of what happens, it gotta happen...
          May 7-10 is on at camp taloali, gonna be tier B but charity so quite a chunk goes to the camp, but if y'all want that to be part of Oregon series, cool w me... *yeah i know i over stepping my bounds*
          Ben lives in DC now, so he can't play it due to that...

Great point about introducing a new tourney into the ORS. I feel at some point each club should put in a bid to host an ORS event, and the best seven (or eight) events are chosen. For example:

Roseburg club bid: GNO
          WDGC: Willamette Open
          EDGC: Eugene Celebration
          Stumptown: BSF and Rose City Open
          Albany Club: Calapooia Classic
          Rebels: Sisters Shootout, Lava Launch, etc...

This is somewhat consistent with what we have seen in the last few years (I know the GNO has been hosted by the EDGC for the last two years)

It would be great to see potentially new events be included in the ORS! Almost like how events are chosen to be NTs by the PDGA...

Just some ideas
          Team DISCRAFT
          NW Sign Up
          Gorilla Boy
          Paragon Disc Golf
          Odwalla

Comment

ahh ben lives in dc, go visit gallaudet university, snap's home for 4 years, the neighborhood is a bit creepy so if you strap a weapon you should be fine... anyways maybe we should see what tournaments are guaranteed and "there is a staff" to do the tournament from that list?. Is every tournament listed above going to happen for sure?
            Off the point, the memorial registration begins on sunday!!!! I predict crash in 40 minutes and full in 16 days!

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
              Is every tournament listed above going to happen for sure?
              Unfortunately...At this point Lava Launch will not happen next year...thanks to the actions of a few careless/clueless individuals on the deck at the players party.

AND also there is NO official "Oregon Series" anymore.....not until someone steps up to organize the TD's. I do not forsee ANYTHING like what it was before. The clubs that did their own Merch'ing this past year have realized what they were losing in the "old" format.

Question..... Does it really matter IF we have a "State Series"?
              I am NOT against it, just asking the question.

Comment

see y'all may 7-10 regardless

Comment

Hello Eugene Gig Peeps

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post

Thanks,
                  da yoseman
                  EDGC members,
                  Do you folks have any plans for running the GNO?
                  Please call me at (541) 733-9117.
                  thanks
                  yose
                  Last edited by Flatroc; October 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM. Reason: too stupid to post :)
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                    Unfortunately...At this point Lava Launch will not happen next year...thanks to the actions of a few careless/clueless individuals on the deck at the players party.

AND also there is NO official "Oregon Series" anymore.....not until someone steps up to organize the TD's. I do not forsee ANYTHING like what it was before. The clubs that did their own Merch'ing this past year have realized what they were losing in the "old" format.

Question..... Does it really matter IF we have a "State Series"?
                    I am NOT against it, just asking the question.

Mike I don't think it was ever about the clubs not realizing their gains or losses, I feel it was about having a consistent and fair payout, quality of event, amenities at the event and a knowledgeable staff to help iron out the local clubs inefficiencies. Sure the clubs are more developed now and have the background to hold events that are at the caliber that the Oregon Series Promoted but they were not when the Oregon Series hit the road.

There is no reason why there can not still be a series within the state as a coordination of the clubs. We all just need to agree to some basic ideas and methods and then just do it. Sure there will need to be money removed from each entry fee for end of year awards but that can all be discussed and agreed upon by the Clubs or TD's.

The series was a great way to get people to travel to regions outside of their home course areas due to the series overall and the quality of events they were exposed to. Asking if the series is needed anymore is saying that you have no problem filling your events without the draw of the series aspect. If you are in an area that does not have a demographic yet that can sell out your events and have trouble pulling people in from other areas then the series still can support your efforts.

My vision for Oregon is similar to the NT and USDGC for the country. Each Oregon Tour event or participating PDGA event within Oregon earns someone a ticket to a State Championship birth! The Points from the Oregon Tour Events along with the Oregon State Disc Golf Championship (OSDGC) determine our Oregon Tour winner. The winners would receive prizes or cash depending on the division, and dependent on the support from each TD and fund-raising!

Sure I have a vision but no I do not have the time to implement it. I feel that this may not be a PDGA state coordinator responsibility but perhaps it should be! It promotes the PDGA in Oregon and increases the local pride in disc golf by allowing the crowning of a Tour winner of Oregon. It would also require the support of the clubs, TD's and the players. This would include open communication and cooperation in a common goal.
                    Last edited by Flash; November 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM.
                    PDGA #25296
                    Stumptown #34

Comment

cool idea

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                      My vision for Oregon is similar to the NT and USDGC for the country. Each Oregon Tour event or participating PDGA event within Oregon earns someone a ticket to a State Championship birth! The Points from the Oregon Tour Events along with the Oregon State Disc Golf Championship (OSDGC) determine our Oregon Tour winner. The winners would receive prizes or cash depending on the division, and dependent on the support from each TD and fund-raising!

Comment

Tom, Cris, Todd and I are planning to run the GNWO. The club was not interested in helping out again this year (EDGC) so we are planning on running it without their specific help. The EDGC has only played a support roll in this event for the past couple of years with the core TD/team being Tom and the Oregon Series Staff.

Again, this event will be run it as it has been for the last few years by the old core Oregon Series staff.

Comment

I think that it's time to pass the torch to the local club.
                          Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
                            I think that it's time to pass the torch to the local club.
                            i'm going to have to agree with this one. you guys might at the very least want to consider getting in touch with either yose or the disc golf oregon crew. no offense yose, but nate and co. are doing a fantastic job at running sanctioned tourneys WITH local sponsors and plenty of overhead. i spoke with nate about this recently and he had some great ideas about local sponsorship, better camping, an extended course, and the possibility of including another course.

why not at least collaborate with the local club to make this good tourney better? i honestly feel that last years GNO had some holes and could have been run much better.
                            May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

all2common... see what sassy said, EDGC showed no interest in receiving the torch, so they taking on the responsibility, i think that is great. No point in giving responsbilitiy to someone who dosen't want it...
                              There is an excellent thread on pdga right now about this guy cryinngggg about no NT's near Texas and blaming PDGA for not taking on responsilbility to run a tournament in Texas blah blah and everyone trying to tell this guy, it is not up to the PDGA, it is up to anyyyyone to take on the responsibility and it's theirs for th taking, but this guy says nooooo... go read it, quite entertaining...
                              anyways... i'm all for whoever wants to run the tournament the most and just do it...

Just read Zaius reply... well in that case, Sassy and DGO need to talk outside this forum... More heads is always better

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X