Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam
    started a topic Oregon State Championships

Oregon State Championships

It is time to take this event to the next level. In my opinion, this would include (but not be limited to):

* PDGA sanctioning
    * multi-day event
    * multi-course event

It might be too late to do much this year but it would be in our best interest to start moving this event in this direction. We will, of course, need a TD willing to direct this initiative and make this happen. I nominiate Magilla.

OK, seriously, though... the time is well-past that we make this happen. Who's interested in helping out with this?

• Flatroc
    replied
    fun stuff

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    MTA is where you throw it to yourself and catch it?.
    MTA = Maximum time aloft, where you throw it and go for hangtime and catch it cleanly with one hand.
    TRC = throw run and catch, where you go for D which means distance.

Leave a comment:

• Flatroc
    replied
    you had to be there

Originally posted by Nate Sexton View Post
    Also, that 8min 53 second MTA by Zane must have been something to see, sickening that it only got him 2nd place, as that breaks the world record by about 8min 36 seconds. Now had that event been sanctioned he would have a place in the record books, or at least whoever beat him would have. Imagine that, throw the fastback up there, go to the car, drive out of the park and grab a coffee, all the while it is just hovering up there, then speed back in and catch it one handed...pretty cool.
    You really had to be there to appreciate it.
    I think Roland Van Bibber won first place throwing a poly roc.
    Roland, if I remember right, threw his plastic, drove to a tavern and came back and caught it with a beer in the other hand.
    Without spilling any nonetheles.

Wait....... who was editing the ol Valley Golfer back then?
    TYPO ALERT
    Zane's toss was 8.53 seconds.
    Also, I think it WAS sanctioned.
    Maybe by Wiff Diff, U. S. Disc Sports and/or the PDGA, or all of them.
    Mike said he was going to check on this.
    PS Nice comprehension there Nate.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    MTA is where you throw it to yourself and catch it?

Have I mentioned that I am glad that we do not have so many abbreviations in DG? Seriously... I would totally deliver a RHBH to anyone who suggests that we need more.

Leave a comment:

• Magilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Nate Sexton View Post
    Also, that 8min 53 second MTA by Zane must have been something to see, sickening that it only got him 2nd place, as that breaks the world record by about 8min 36 seconds. Now had that event been sanctioned he would have a place in the record books, or at least whoever beat him would have. Imagine that, throw the fastback up there, go to the car, drive out of the park and grab a coffee, all the while it is just hovering up there, then speed back in and catch it one handed...pretty cool.

Yea, I like that one as well.......

My best is just over 11 seconds.....

Id venture to say that the 8 mins 53 seconds was for "Disc-a-thon" which MOST overalls did back in the day....

Leave a comment:

• Nate Sexton
    replied
    State Championships

I think a state championship event would be really cool to have, but just like the World Championships, it should not include an intermediate division. You should be able to be the Am champion or the Pro champion in a couple of different age and gender protected variations of course. I think there was once an INT world champion, but it doesn't make much sense so they removed it, it encourages playing down a little too much with an important title on the line.

Leave a comment:

• Flatroc
    replied
    BIG "little circle"

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Just to close a little circle for you, Yose... Brian Riley is the brother of one of our members here, Cherokee.
    Right on.
    I don't remember if I've met him or not.
    It's been many putts since I've seen "Big Briley".
    Greetings to Cherokee Riley.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
    10th Brian Riley - 50.5 pts
    Just to close a little circle for you, Yose... Brian Riley is the brother of one of our members here, Cherokee.

Leave a comment:

• DexterHawk
    replied
    I think the qualifying thing would be rad... Just like at the USDGC you could have qualifying tournaments... ORS yes, but also a couple in Southern Oregon and around to met the needs of all the clans... I also really like the idea of a travailing tournament...

On a completely different but also Oregon State Championship mode... we need to have a team based competition for city bragging rights... I'm thinking 18 person teams... match play, doubles, stroke play format... There can be as many teams as people can orginize... i.e. 3 from portland 1 from Albany... and you could make requirements like teams must have 3 women, one player older than 50, one player with no rating, two players below a 900 rating and so forth to encourage teams to bring new and different players into competitive play.

Leave a comment:

• Flatroc
    replied
    more overalls info

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
    I would be VERY interested in getting info/speaking to individuals involved in previous Overall event in Oregon.
    This is from the "Valley Golfer" newsletter 1991 fall issue
    Results (UDA members only)
    Oregon Overalls 8/31/91 field = 31
    Estacada, Or. light drizzle
    7th Bruce Sisson - 66.5 pts, 2nd place distance w/ a 319'
    8th Zane Hoffman - 59 pts, 2nd place MTA w/ 8 min. 53 seconds
    10th Brian Riley - 50.5 pts
    14th Ernie Szeremi - 46.5 pts
    19th Michael O'con - 36.5 pts
    22nd Steve Wright - 29 pts 2nd place adv. golf

I have some newsletters that Bart used to send out with more stats but they're hiding at the moment.
    I hope this helps somehow.

Leave a comment:

• Flatroc
    replied
    A win is a win when you win!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
    Well, to be honest I did win my division (Intermediate) in a non-sanctioned Oregon State Championship. I'm not in ANY way criticizing Jerry Miller at Disc Golf Depot because, as always, he ran a great tournament, but it always bothered me that his tourneys were not sanctioned.

I realize it is a personal preference, but I really just prefer playing sanctioned events. I like the fact that my rounds are rated and I can refer back to them at a later date and see how my game has (or has not) progressed.
    So how did it feel when you won?

Did you feel like an Oregon state champ?

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    I don't think you should have to live in Oregon to compete, no.

Leave a comment:

• Cherokee
    replied
    Do you have to live in the State of Oregon to compete?

Leave a comment:

• Magilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim View Post
    Just browsing through this, good ideas here. However, I think this idea of the top 5 finisher, invitational thing would be better suited as a different entity than a state championship. More like the Player's Cup at the end of the season on the national scene. Also, I think it would have more rapport with the players if it were a smaller, more exclusive event, i.e a privilege that only the best get to play in.
    The PDGA Match Play Championships will go this direction.
    The intent is that the Top 64 players will be in the field, eventually.
    With qualifiers, etc. + Wildcard Spots..........etc....

What I do like is the possibility of a "Roaming" Championship, where a different Club hosts it each yr. Late Fall would be the best time frame, since the Series is over and the schedule has slowed down abit by then.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Just browsing through this, good ideas here. However, I think this idea of the top 5 finisher, invitational thing would be better suited as a different entity than a state championship. More like the Player's Cup at the end of the season on the national scene. Also, I think it would have more rapport with the players if it were a smaller, more exclusive event, i.e a privilege that only the best get to play in.

Leave a comment:

Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X