X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right, Mike. My apologies.

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye
      When YOU decide? Hmmmm...
      Well....someone requested that I look into it.
      Someone else suggested that maybe the "State Coordinator" could also deal with this issue.

AND unless my memory fails me.............Some people would like it to be PDGA Sanctioned.

But then you would know SOME of these things had you attended my "Discussion" session at Dexter prior to Awards

Now if you would prefer a PDGA representation more in line of what you had the past 4 yrs, just let me know......

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc
        Scott, this is nothing personal against you or the ORS.
        I don't think it would be fair to the golfers in K-Falls, Coos Bay, or even the remote town of Remote if this were to happen.
        It seems with the "qualifiers" getting first crack at ORS events, the field would only consist of the "elite" group that is starting to form.
        Stand away from the "tee box " for a bit and imagine how many potential state champ golfers are out there that either don't know or care about the ORS. (again nothing personal).
        I think it should be wide open to ANY DISC GOLFER in the state.
        IMO it would get boring to compete against the same ol same ol's again and again and again.
        One idea might be to have it a one day event (ams one day, pros the next).
        This way you could get more golfers to attend.
        I see your point. Allow me to state mine.

To me, the title "State Champion" sounds like a pretty big deal. At least it should be. When you take the title away, you're talking about a just another tournament. Is the winner of a one day tourney at Timber or Milo a better golfer than the winner of the BSF? Not necessaryily. In most cases, probably not.

Sam mentions elsewhere in this thread that everyone else crowns their champions this way. So? We always talk about ways to push Oregon to the forefront of the national DG scene - here's a chance to be different and exciting in a meaningful way.

What about a smaller series....Three tournaments; one north, one central, one south. The winner of the series is a state champion that had to show sustained excellence on a variety of courses. I'm thinking Whistler's in August, Adair in September (Hyzer Pines , or Dexter would work nicely here, too) and Milo in October (or Dabney).

I'm just tossing stuff around.. There are tons of great possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
          I see your point. Allow me to state mine.

To me, the title "State Champion" sounds like a pretty big deal. At least it should be. When you take the title away, you're talking about a just another tournament. Is the winner of a one day tourney at Timber or Milo a better golfer than the winner of the BSF? Not necessaryily. In most cases, probably not.

Sam mentions elsewhere in this thread that everyone else crowns their champions this way. So? We always talk about ways to push Oregon to the forefront of the national DG scene - here's a chance to be different and exciting in a meaningful way.

What about a smaller series....Three tournaments; one north, one central, one south. The winner of the series is a state champion that had to show sustained excellence on a variety of courses. I'm thinking Whistler's in August, Adair in September (Hyzer Pines , or Dexter would work nicely here, too) and Milo in October (or Dabney).

I'm just tossing stuff around.. There are tons of great possibilities.
          I do like that idea, but how about this spin on it.

What if you took the top five finishers from each division at each Oregon Series event and gave them an invitation to the Oregon State Championships at the end of the season. If someone in the top 5 already has an invitation then the invite would trickle down... USDGC style.

This way you would get the top tournament players for each division playing in the big show at the end of the year.

Just food for thought...
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
            What if you took the top five finishers from each division at each Oregon Series event and gave them an invitation to the Oregon State Championships at the end of the season. If someone in the top 5 already has an invitation then the invite would trickle down... USDGC style.
            I could get behind that. This style would allow the people from all parts of the state to qualify.
            Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

so we talking 144 player field or 288? If there were 2 courses, 72 at each. Tee off early in the morning, get 4 rounds in, 2 each pool, 2 days straight. That be 288 players playing 4 rounds in 2 days on 2 courses. Could invite top 5 winners from all Tier B and up tourneys and top 3 from C tier tourneys until quota is met for each division etc. Just brain storming.
              Like say
              Master Open 16
              ADV master 16
              Grand master 8
              ADV grandmaster 8
              Men open 36
              women open 12
              MA1 24
              MA2 24
              MA3 16
              FW1 12
              FW2 8
              FW3 8
              =188, leaving 100 extra special invites etc... Just brainstorming... throwing Hurricane Juanita in here...

Comment

Just browsing through this, good ideas here. However, I think this idea of the top 5 finisher, invitational thing would be better suited as a different entity than a state championship. More like the Player's Cup at the end of the season on the national scene. Also, I think it would have more rapport with the players if it were a smaller, more exclusive event, i.e a privilege that only the best get to play in.
                Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Just browsing through this, good ideas here. However, I think this idea of the top 5 finisher, invitational thing would be better suited as a different entity than a state championship. More like the Player's Cup at the end of the season on the national scene. Also, I think it would have more rapport with the players if it were a smaller, more exclusive event, i.e a privilege that only the best get to play in.
                  The PDGA Match Play Championships will go this direction.
                  The intent is that the Top 64 players will be in the field, eventually.
                  With qualifiers, etc. + Wildcard Spots..........etc....

What I do like is the possibility of a "Roaming" Championship, where a different Club hosts it each yr. Late Fall would be the best time frame, since the Series is over and the schedule has slowed down abit by then.

Comment

Do you have to live in the State of Oregon to compete?
                    World Tomahawk Champion
                    2006 Orchard One Disc Champion

Comment

I don't think you should have to live in Oregon to compete, no.
                      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

A win is a win when you win!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                        Well, to be honest I did win my division (Intermediate) in a non-sanctioned Oregon State Championship. I'm not in ANY way criticizing Jerry Miller at Disc Golf Depot because, as always, he ran a great tournament, but it always bothered me that his tourneys were not sanctioned.

I realize it is a personal preference, but I really just prefer playing sanctioned events. I like the fact that my rounds are rated and I can refer back to them at a later date and see how my game has (or has not) progressed.
                        So how did it feel when you won?

Did you feel like an Oregon state champ?

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                        - Anonymous

Comment

more overalls info

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                          I would be VERY interested in getting info/speaking to individuals involved in previous Overall event in Oregon.
                          This is from the "Valley Golfer" newsletter 1991 fall issue
                          Results (UDA members only)
                          Oregon Overalls 8/31/91 field = 31
                          Estacada, Or. light drizzle
                          7th Bruce Sisson - 66.5 pts, 2nd place distance w/ a 319'
                          8th Zane Hoffman - 59 pts, 2nd place MTA w/ 8 min. 53 seconds
                          10th Brian Riley - 50.5 pts
                          14th Ernie Szeremi - 46.5 pts
                          19th Michael O'con - 36.5 pts
                          22nd Steve Wright - 29 pts 2nd place adv. golf

I have some newsletters that Bart used to send out with more stats but they're hiding at the moment.
                          I hope this helps somehow.
                          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                          - Anonymous

Comment