Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that anyone could get hot on a given weekend and be crowned a state champion, even though they may not be thought of as the best player in the state. A state champion should demonstrate sustained excellence. What about somehow tying the state championships with the Oregon series? In my mind, the O.S. points leader at the end of the season is the real champion. At least under our current system.

Comment

big picture

Originally posted by Scott
      It seems that anyone could get hot on a given weekend and be crowned a state champion, even though they may not be thought of as the best player in the state. A state champion should demonstrate sustained excellence. What about somehow tying the state championships with the Oregon series? In my mind, the O.S. points leader at the end of the season is the real champion. At least under our current system.
      Scott, this is nothing personal against you or the ORS.
      I don't think it would be fair to the golfers in K-Falls, Coos Bay, or even the remote town of Remote if this were to happen.
      It seems with the "qualifiers" getting first crack at ORS events, the field would only consist of the "elite" group that is starting to form.
      Stand away from the "tee box " for a bit and imagine how many potential state champ golfers are out there that either don't know or care about the ORS. (again nothing personal).
      I think it should be wide open to ANY DISC GOLFER in the state.
      IMO it would get boring to compete against the same ol same ol's again and again and again.
      One idea might be to have it a one day event (ams one day, pros the next).
      This way you could get more golfers to attend.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      - Anonymous

Comment

I agree with FlatRoc about this, actually. I think we need an event separate from all series and open to all vendors. Of course, I think it should be sanctioned...
        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc
          Scott, this is nothing personal against you or the ORS.
          I don't think it would be fair to the golfers in K-Falls, Coos Bay, or even the remote town of Remote if this were to happen.
          It seems with the "qualifiers" getting first crack at ORS events, the field would only consist of the "elite" group that is starting to form.
          Stand away from the "tee box " for a bit and imagine how many potential state champ golfers are out there that either don't know or care about the ORS. (again nothing personal).
          I think it should be wide open to ANY DISC GOLFER in the state.
          IMO it would get boring to compete against the same ol same ol's again and again and again.
          One idea might be to have it a one day event (ams one day, pros the next).
          This way you could get more golfers to attend.

Whatever the "NAME" is...............the "State Championships" will be seperate from the Oregon Series. WHY should Series play be mandatory to win a State Championship, that would NOT be fair to those in the far regions that are not able to travel as much.

I have NO DESIRE to "steal" Jerry's event, as he has been running his version of the State Championships for a while now. (Even though in past yrs it was scheduled when the TOP players were out of state )
          It would be NICE, if he were to agree to allow it to happen as the "Oregon State Disc Golf Championships".
          He could STILL do the Merch. for the AMS.....That would not be an issue...

I would prefer it to be PDGA Sanctioned, but then again, thats what I do.....

Comment

Why don't you give him a call, Mike? He might be reasonable with you. Don't mention me.

Personally, if he is not willing to give up the name, I think we should simply take it. That might not be the nicest way of going about this but I think the event has been underdone for far too long now.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam
              Why don't you give him a call, Mike? He might be reasonable with you. Don't mention me.

Personally, if he is not willing to give up the name, I think we should simply take it. That might not be the nicest way of going about this but I think the event has been underdone for far too long now.

Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!

That's a prime opportunity to lose the moral high ground, right there. Even though I agree with your assessment of the problem that forces some solution, I don't think I agree with your solution.

I am hopeful that there could be some solution short of taking the name without blessings from those that have used the name in the past. Hopeful. If not, I think the players would see what was missing (in the underdone event) and begin the clamoring for a new, better version. Hopefully.
              Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by proto something or other
                Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!

That's a prime opportunity to lose the moral high ground, right there. Even though I agree with your assessment of the problem that forces some solution, I don't think I agree with your solution.

I am hopeful that there could be some solution short of taking the name without blessings from those that have used the name in the past. Hopeful. If not, I think the players would see what was missing (in the underdone event) and begin the clamoring for a new, better version. Hopefully.
                I think it has been a few years since Jerry has run this event AND the last time I attended one of his events he told everyone there that he was done TDing events. With that said, I still think anyone attempting to resurrect the OR State Championships should probably talk to him out of respect.
                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye
                  I think it has been a few years since Jerry has run this event..............
                  With that said, I still think anyone attempting to resurrect the OR State Championships should probably talk to him out of respect.
                  Exactly..........

Comment

Originally posted by Sam

WHEN I decide to pursue this I will call Jerry myself......

WE will NOT just take it.......WE may have to "creatively" name it, but lets hope not.

.....discuss.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye
                      I think it has been a few years since Jerry has run this event AND the last time I attended one of his events he told everyone there that he was done TDing events. With that said, I still think anyone attempting to resurrect the OR State Championships should probably talk to him out of respect.
                      Jerry has ran it for the last 3 years in a row. I don't think he has plans for this year yet. He has an ongoing pro division trophy that had the winner engraved into it, the first person to have the name engraved into the trophy X amount of times gets to keep the trophy. It was a pretty bad ass trophy.

Comment

Oh yeah... was that the event that was all screwed up because of the CB radio people or was that the other "state championship"?
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

That was Jabber's tournament that got all screwed up...
                          Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Sorry... all of these "state championships" seem to blend together...
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam
                              Oh yeah... was that the event that was all screwed up because of the CB radio people or was that the other "state championship"?

OK...Hows this...

I will talk to Jerry within the next few days and THEN we will be able to move forward...one way or the other.

PLEASE refrain from ALL Jerry/Disc Golf Depot bashing on this subject. It does not help at all

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla
                                WHEN I decide to pursue this I will call Jerry myself......

WE will NOT just take it.......WE may have to "creatively" name it, but lets hope not.

.....discuss.....
                                When YOU decide? Hmmmm...
                                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X