X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flatroc
    If you won your division at a non PDGA sanctioned event called the OREGON STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS would you not feel like you were the best in your field within the whole state?
    People already win their division in a non-PDGA sanctioned event called the OREGON STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS and are largely not regarded as the best in their field in the whole state nor as the state champions.

I don't think it is solely based on whether the event is PDGA sanctioned or not, but I do think it is largely based on the overall perception of the "legitimacy" of the tournament itself. In this case, a one day tournament at Timber park doesn't feel like the legitimate way to crown the state champion.

What do I think a legitimate state championship tourney looks like?
    - 2 days
    - played on 1 or more of the state's premier courses (could rotate every year)
    - PDGA sanctioned, since that is the sport's governing body

Comment

Originally posted by KenGilmore
      People already win their division in a non-PDGA sanctioned event called the OREGON STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS and are largely not regarded as the best in their field in the whole state nor as the state champions.

I don't think it is solely based on whether the event is PDGA sanctioned or not, but I do think it is largely based on the overall perception of the "legitimacy" of the tournament itself. In this case, a one day tournament at Timber park doesn't feel like the legitimate way to crown the state champion.

What do I think a legitimate state championship tourney looks like?
      - 2 days
      - played on 1 or more of the state's premier courses (could rotate every year)
      - PDGA sanctioned, since that is the sport's governing body

Ken is right on with this. I agree with all of the above.
      Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

As do I.

I definitely think that the courses should rotate on a yearly basis. I think Adair/Willamette would be an excellent venue for this. Sisters/Bend. Eugene/Albany. The possibilities are endless.

That we are even having this conversation is a step in the right direction, in my opinion.
        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

neutral course

I think it should be at a course that offers little to no "home chain" advantage.
          Centrally located would be nice too.
          All personal and biased opinions put aside, perhaps the new Jerry Miller course. It is sort of in the middle of the state and probably won't get played by a majority of golfers.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          - Anonymous

Comment

Would you please care to elaborate on your definition of legitimacy?
            If you won your division at a non PDGA sanctioned event called the OREGON STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS would you not feel like you were the best in your field within the whole state?
            What would it take away from playing your best and winning if it wasn't a PDGA sanctioned event?
            I've seen you throw bro and feel you could be the one to beat.
            Well, maybe one of those pesky G'man fans could whoop ya.
            Well, to be honest I did win my division (Intermediate) in a non-sanctioned Oregon State Championship. I'm not in ANY way criticizing Jerry Miller at Disc Golf Depot because, as always, he ran a great tournament, but it always bothered me that his tourneys were not sanctioned.

I realize it is a personal preference, but I really just prefer playing sanctioned events. I like the fact that my rounds are rated and I can refer back to them at a later date and see how my game has (or has not) progressed.
            "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I think it should be at a course that offers little to no "home chain" advantage.
              Centrally located would be nice too.
              All personal and biased opinions put aside, perhaps the new Jerry Miller course. It is sort of in the middle of the state and probably won't get played by a majority of golfers.
              Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a course with no "home chain" advantage except for temporary courses that exist solely for a given tournament.

Also, having the tournament in the middle of the state favors the middle of the state. That is why the most fair approach is to distribute the unfairness out as evenly as possible... by using different courses in different locations every year. This allows us to have different clubs/regions host the state championships every year (kinda like a mini worlds).

This also solves another unfairness problem... even courses as AWESOME as Milo East and West provide a very specific type of challenge that favors certain types of players over others. By moving around to different courses, you distribute the type of player/challenge that is favored.

I personally favor the notion of using at least two courses, each maybe providing a different type of challenge (e.g. short and technical versus long and open).

I would suggest that clubs/regions/etc put out bids for hosting the state championships every year and that a selection process is used to determine where the state championships are held in a given year. I also feel that this is an area where the state coordinator should be involved and could add a lot of value to Oregon disc golf.

Comment

I like Ken. He's smart.

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

The Jerry Miller DG course @ Camp Taloali should have the 18 permenant holes ready for public use next spring, however it would probably be better for tournament play by late sept, early october of 2009. Plus a temporary 18 can be put up on the other part of the camp to have 2 full 18's, completely the opposite of eachother as for style etc. That is already our plan for special tournaments and this could be one of them. I'm not nominating the course, just speaking what we have planned. Plans are meant to be changed.... However, anyone can look at the course(s) this october at our work party.... i will post most of the details of that on odsa...

Comment

Originally posted by proto something or other
                    I think this used to be called the "Oregon Overalls" or something similar. I have a t-shirt lying around here somewhere...

I believe the last incarnation of this event was in 2000 or 1999.
                    I would be VERY interested in getting info/speaking to individuals involved in previous Overall event in Oregon.
                    I'll check with WFDF and see if there is any sanctioning history...

Comment

Originally posted by KenGilmore
                      by using different courses in different locations every year. This allows us to have different clubs/regions host the state championships every year (kinda like a mini worlds).

I would suggest that clubs/regions/etc put out bids for hosting the state championships every year and that a selection process is used to determine where the state championships are held in a given year. I also feel that this is an area where the state coordinator should be involved and could add a lot of value to Oregon disc golf.
                      A Topic to be continued at my NEXT "Discussion" sessions at the WOX.

IF anyone feels like showing up....

Comment

Originally posted by all2common
                        Now that sounds awesome! Although I must admit my ignorance and say that I'm not real clear on how match play works or how it's different than how tournaments are play now.
                        Match Play is played similar to skins BUT there are NO "carry overs".
                        You either win a point or not.
                        VERY competitive......

Comment

I nominate timber linn tourney addition as the best spot to name the OSDGC. No home field advantage, evenly distributed forehand, backhand, right handed, left handed. Semi centrally located (population wise). Wistler's would be my second choice. Sanctioning to me adds great value, I would love to see the Oregon state championships sanctioned but I am also happy letting Jerry keep the name and keep putting on tournaments at Timber he has a great following in Portland, just not most of the competitive pro golfers, or golfers in the rest of the state. We could just use a different name, maybe the State Championships.

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla
                            I would be VERY interested in getting info/speaking to individuals involved in previous Overall event in Oregon.

Mike:

I am pretty sure (85% or so) that Bruce Sisson was involved. I think Embree may have had a hand in it as well. I think Bruce would be the best place to start.
                            Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla
                              Mike,
                              I know there was one in 1992 that Miller, Van Bibber and the old PDX crew hosted. It was held mostly at Timber and distance was at some school in the area.
                              I know Bruce was there because I remember watching him saving his butt on an MTA catch.
                              Call Jerry and pick his brain.
                              Heck maybe even open up some doors.
                              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                              - Anonymous

Comment

Old Frisbee Fellers

I have a frisbee that says 1992 State Flying Disc Championships with the words Sanctioned By U.S. Disc Sports underneath.
                                There is also a plate which says 1992 "Oregon State Championships" Accuracy Pro Division 2nd Place. (Clubby showed his wiley vet status and whooped me in a playoff for 1st )
                                - Anonymous

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X