X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon State Championships

It is time to take this event to the next level. In my opinion, this would include (but not be limited to):

* PDGA sanctioning
    * multi-day event
    * multi-course event

It might be too late to do much this year but it would be in our best interest to start moving this event in this direction. We will, of course, need a TD willing to direct this initiative and make this happen. I nominiate Magilla.

OK, seriously, though... the time is well-past that we make this happen. Who's interested in helping out with this?
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

I am interested in helping out, however I think that it would be a good tournament for Stumptown Disc Golf to take on as directing...nothing against you Magilla.
    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

I think that that would be a great idea but I don't think that they will do it. There are those in the upper echelons of SDG who believe that this tournament belongs to Jerry Miller and they don't want to step on his toes.

That said, I will suggest it at the next meeting - tomorrow night at Lunchtime.
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by all2common
        I am interested in helping out, however I think that it would be a good tournament for Stumptown Disc Golf to take on as directing...nothing against you Magilla.
        Not that I am against ANYONE running events.....properly...
        How is "Stumptown" anymore qualified than any other region of the state??

There are a "few" events that are on my mind that could "suppliment" our current PDGA lineup......

Oregon Open :
        This will be a PDGA event to decide our State Rep to USDGC.
        Details & Venue to be determined

Oregon State Flying Disc Championships :
        This will be an OVERALL event with multiple events...
        DiscGolf, Distance, Accuracy, Self-Caught Flight, DDC, Freestyle
        The DiscGolf portion of this WILL be PDGA Sanctioned and COULD be used as the "State Championships"

Venue to be determined BUT U of O, O St or simialr venue is needed due to the size of Grass fields required.

PDGA Match Play Championships :
        I ran this event in NorCal prior to moving here.
        It is time to bring it back for good..........
        This event has the potential of being our "USDGC" well into the future.
        It was origianlly designed for a Pro Only weekend BUT I would be willing to run an AM event as well...

Venue to be Determined - ANYONE with "Ideas" or suggestions should contact me NOW!!

Comment

segregation sucks

Originally posted by Sam
          It is time to take this event to the next level. In my opinion, this would include (but not be limited to):* PDGA sanctioning
          I call horseshit and bullshit on this mainly because I think it would segregate some of the talented players this state has.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          - Anonymous

Comment

OK... what about for this year? We could run a two-day event at Trojan/Dabney or Timber/Milo or... ?
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc
              I call horseshit and bullshit on this mainly because I think it would segregate some of the talented players this state has.
              Why? If they would like a chance at the State Championship, they would have to suck it up and pay their $10 fine for not being a PDGA member and compete.

I don't know that there is another state in the US that has a state championship that is not sanctioned...
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

hehe, check out the grumbling on the WA state championships thread on ODSA. It's not sanctioned either, but with that lack of sanctioning, it puts more money in the players' pockets. $700 payout to 1st place for a tourney that had less than 40 players isn't too shabby. That being said, there are lots of things that I think could be done to make the tournament better, but I don't know if sanctioning is the key to it.
                Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam
                  I don't know that there is another state in the US that has a state championship that is not sanctioned...
                  Washington just held theirs. I think that it was not sanctioned.

Originally posted by Magilla
                  I just think that it would be a great warm-up for the RCO that they will or should put on next year.

PDGA Match Play Championships :
                  I ran this event in NorCal prior to moving here.
                  It is time to bring it back for good..........
                  This event has the potential of being our "USDGC" well into the future.
                  It was origianlly designed for a Pro Only weekend BUT I would be willing to run an AM event as well...

Venue to be Determined - ANYONE with "Ideas" or suggestions should contact me NOW!
                  Now that sounds awesome! Although I must admit my ignorance and say that I'm not real clear on how match play works or how it's different than how tournaments are play now.
                  Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Justin, we play stroke play in tournaments. Match play is where you are matched against another golfer and only need to beat him/her in that round in order to advance.

I realized after I posted that Washington just had theirs and that it was non-sanctioned. As sanctioning for a B-tier is just $125, I think we could get that covered through sponsorships easily enough (or fundraiser discs or events...) and keep the payouts high.
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Oregon State Flying Disc Championships :
                      This will be an OVERALL event with multiple events...
                      DiscGolf, Distance, Accuracy, Self-Caught Flight, DDC, Freestyle
                      The DiscGolf portion of this WILL be PDGA Sanctioned and COULD be used as the "State Championships"
                      I think this used to be called the "Oregon Overalls" or something similar. I have a t-shirt lying around here somewhere...

I believe the last incarnation of this event was in 2000 or 1999.
                      Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc
                        Having an event sanctioned by the ONLY official sanctioning body this sport has gives the event a level of legitimacy it would not otherwise have.

Plus, having something sanctioned does not FORCE anyone to join the PDGA if they don't want to. They can always simply pay the one-day fee and play just like everyone else.

Jeff
                        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by all2common
                          I don't see all2common's comment inferring that anyone is any more or less qualified than anyone else.

I would love to see Stumptown Disc Golf take this on and I'd love to help out in some manner... provided I can still play.
                          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

gonna get sticky

Originally posted by Bullseye
                            Having an event sanctioned by the ONLY official sanctioning body this sport has gives the event a level of legitimacy it would not otherwise have.
                            Would you please care to elaborate on your definition of legitimacy?
                            If you won your division at a non PDGA sanctioned event called the OREGON STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS would you not feel like you were the best in your field within the whole state?
                            What would it take away from playing your best and winning if it wasn't a PDGA sanctioned event?
                            I've seen you throw bro and feel you could be the one to beat.
                            Well, maybe one of those pesky G'man fans could whoop ya.
                            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                            - Anonymous

Comment

In all fairness to the "rest of the state" perhaps you could recruit prominent dg rep's from within the whole state and work out some plans.
                              Otherwise it seems you could just name it the Portland State Championships.
                              No offense to any PDXer's or their courses.
                              - Anonymous

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X