Comment

still seems a bit out of whack to me
      why not just get points for what your average rating was
      seems a lot easier and more understanding to all
      even though you don't compete against everybody
      every body's round is rated the same way
      that's not the case this way
      to me 9th place is 9th place regardless of my score
      so theoretically you could win 3 events by 1 stoke, then place 2nd by 20 strokes, the other guy places 2nd all four times losing by 1 stroke
      so the guy with 4 second place finishes beats out the guy with 3 wins and a 3rd,
      doesn't seem right to me
      a victory is a victory, you can't control how many people show up or how well they play,
      points should be based on you not other people
      I personally like nascars point system, 1st is so much and as you go down the line points between positions gets closer
      don't matter if you lap the field or win by a nose
      and in reviewing the system, Tom got 94.79 for 3rd in the RCO 9 strokes back yet got 95.34 for the same third 12 strokes back, that doesn't make since, got more points for further behind, that's where the rest of the group comes in, must not have done as well
      seems a bit messed up,
      shouldn't where you place be more important than how you placed
      I feel Tom's pain

Comment

It makes "since" that you like Nascar's system.
        Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
          a victory is a victory, you can't control how many people show up or how well they play,
          points should be based on you not other people
          But you can control how badly you beat them. That's what this system rewards; how badly you dominated your field.

Comment

series points

sorry if I seem more upset than I should be...I understand you wanting a system that awards consistent play and while my placings have been by less strokes than ricks ,1st 2nd & 2 3rds sounds more consistent than 1st the same 2nd 5th & 8th....even more so when I add up our total strokes for our 4 finishes and find I am still 4 strokes better...also if our 1sts and 2nds are a wash and his 5th is better than my 3rd by 3 points then that makes his 8th as good as my other 3rd I know your system comes out that way and would have to say no I do not like itI have cashed in every event in the series and have the 4 highest finishes and while I know its the sum of your best 4...it just seems wrong....I am bummed but it is what it is... you know what this means whistling rick...that sandybagger man will be trying to take us both down with a well timed 3rd place...IT IS ON!...see ya this weekend

Comment

so winning means nothing, why do we make trophies to third place then'
              sounds like Tom should give his third place trophy to Rick for his fine fifth place effort, he got more points than Tom,
              and it ain't how you dominate your field,
              it's how the field played,
              that's why you get more points being 12 strokes back than you did 9 strokes back for the same place
              so your points are decided by how the back markers play
              are you not already being judged in your own group
              if you dominate your field and your not a pro than you probably shouldn't be in the field anyway, move up
              so basicly the tougher the course , the better you do, is what is judged
              so how is your round rating any different, actually better, it's a better average of the field than the points are now

Comment

and in reviewing the system, Tom got 94.79 for 3rd in the RCO 9 strokes back yet got 95.34 for the same third 12 strokes back, that doesn't make since, got more points for further behind, that's where the rest of the group comes in, must not have done as well
                seems a bit messed up,
                shouldn't where you place be more important than how you placed
                I feel Tom's pain
                Terry what are you trying to say? Have you ever heard of complete sentences? You have more run on thoughts then people want to weed through. Please focus your thoughts better when you type and slow down it seems like you have some good things to add to the discussion but I am having trouble picking them out. Sam help me out here!

The 95.34 was awarded to Jeff Elliot at the Calapooia and yes he finished in second place and he was 11 strokes back from first. The value of one stroke will depend on the courses obviously due to the players just like with the round ratings of players. On certain courses 1 stroke might be worth 10 ratings points but another course 1 stroke may be 7 rating points. The current point system does reward closer to ratings without having to award points across the whole event. It only looks at your play(sort of round ratings if you want to look at it that way) against your division and awards points based on the winner achieving 100 points.

The problem I have with a top down awarding of points is based on field size. If at one event you are in a division of three people you will always get 98 points even if you finish 100 strokes back. Then in another week at a larger event a player shoots 2 strokes back from first place and also gets 98 points but who played a better tournament in their field.

To me people should not be rewarded based on theyfinish but on how they play in the event against the field at the event. Since there is no awards this year for the Oregon Series it does not matter other than bragging rights. Perhaps I can start a poll and see what method should prevail for next year.
                PDGA #25296
                Stumptown #34

Comment

so winning means nothing, why do we make trophies to third place then'
                  sounds like Tom should give his third place trophy to Rick for his fine fifth place effort, he got more points than Tom,
                  and it ain't how you dominate your field,
                  it's how the field played
                  Trophies for Place in the event have nothing to do with trophies in the series. I hope you can see that the events are a single entity that is finalized at the event awards ceremony, while the series is a culmination of the entire series of events. Trophies in events are awarded based on place as well as play(how many strokes you throw) because it does not matter how you finished in third place the guy behind you still did not shoot better then you did. Is this making sense to anyone else on this forum?
                  PDGA #25296
                  Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                    Trophies for Place in the event have nothing to do with trophies in the series. I hope you can see that the events are a single entity that is finalized at the event awards ceremony, while the series is a culmination of the entire series of events. Trophies in events are awarded based on place as well as play(how many strokes you throw) because it does not matter how you finished in third place the guy behind you still did not shoot better then you did. Is this making sense to anyone else on this forum?
                    It makes sense to me, thanks for VOLUNTARILY stepping up to OFFER SOMETHING TO THE COMMUNITY with no reward, Mike! It's pretty funny that panties are this bunched over your efforts as THERE ARE NO TROPHIES OR PAYOUT.

Perhaps the people with the problem should just calculate the series points in the method they prefer and show us their results. Then we can complain about the way that they did it. Since there IS NO SERIES this year, no trophies, and nothing to win, what does it matter how Flash decided to compile these standings? You don't like it? Do your own.

Comment

heh... yeah! What he said...

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                        yes....but in a series formula as yours[it is not how you finish,but how you play] maybe [how many strokes you throw] total should be a factor somehow...but I do agree that....[it does not matter HOW you finished in third place the guy behind you still did not shoot better than you did.]....I just wish that had a numerical value in your formula as well

Comment

go nascar
                          a 1,2,5,8 beats a 1,2,3,3
                          not in nascar

Comment

I THINK I see Mikes thought process here, let me see if I'm right.

My basketball team has five players and play another team with five players. We get X number of points.

My team plays a team with only 3 players and we whup the heck out of them. Worth less points.

My team plays a team with only 2 players and we REALLY whup um. Worth even less points.

My team plays a team with 8 players and we beat them but barely. Worth more points than a win playing a team with 5 players but it was much more difficult.

Am I on the right track here?

Bob

Comment

Oh yeah..............thanks Mike for your work here.

Bob

Comment

I know there are NO SERIES AWARDS...and I thanked mike for all this work when I first saw it on here...I also explained while I was bummed at no series I was playin them all anyway....I do not wear panties nor are my underwear in a bunch....but when you say WHO WILL BE THE NEXT SERIES CHAMPIONS...I guess it gets me going......I have been playing 3 years so pardon me for gettin a little fired up at the chance of takin down the big dogs in any tourney or series...they made taking an ass whipping as fun as could be....I never intended for this to be more than it is.....Flash thanks again and I do have an idea....1 point per player in your divison available per tourney....20 players...19 points (you do not count yourself)...4 players 3 points etc. awarded in order......no problem with size of field issues....ties could be decided by total strokes....just a thought for next year....

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X