2009 Oregon Series Points Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Flash View Post
    Payout from What?

    Actually I have been in contact with the clubs to see if any of them are interested in supporting end of year awards and such. If you are interested and belong to a club in Oregon let them know how you feel. I don't think I could afford it out of my pocket.
    I didn't expect there to be one, just thought I'd ask :]
    Team DISCRAFT
    NW Sign Up
    Gorilla Boy
    Paragon Disc Golf
    Odwalla

    Comment


    • #17
      Series Payout RAFFLE....?

      Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
      I didn't expect there to be one, just thought I'd ask :]
      I was just thinking that if everyone chipped in a bit maybe we could make an Oregon Series Payout this year.

      What if we started to gather items from donors at the Eugene Celebration to be raffled off at the Willamette Open. We would have a month to accumulate enough discs and gear to make a pretty nice raffle. I will donate my time to produce a Series Champion Trophy for each major division (Pro, Masters, ADV, INT, Pro Women, AM Women).

      It's just an idea. I know between all the local collectors and discaholics we could get everyone to kick down at least one disc and get a nice raffle together.

      Cash raised from the raffle could be used as a Payout for the Pro field and utilized for planning the Oregon Series 2010.

      What are your thoughts.....?
      Disc Golf Accessories

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by purediscgolf View Post
        I was just thinking that if everyone chipped in a bit maybe we could make an Oregon Series Payout this year.

        What if we started to gather items from donors at the Eugene Celebration to be raffled off at the Willamette Open. We would have a month to accumulate enough discs and gear to make a pretty nice raffle. I will donate my time to produce a Series Champion Trophy for each major division (Pro, Masters, ADV, INT, Pro Women, AM Women).

        It's just an idea. I know between all the local collectors and discaholics we could get everyone to kick down at least one disc and get a nice raffle together.

        Cash raised from the raffle could be used as a Payout for the Pro field and utilized for planning the Oregon Series 2010.

        What are your thoughts.....?
        Andrew, I am open to any and all ideas, I personally would like to see the series awards continue and the champions be crowned. I have no vested interest in the Oregon Series other than keeping the series points this year. It has been and will continue to be my goal of promoting the series winners and looking to the clubs that run the events in the series to take part ownership of the series going forward.

        I am not so sure any money raised from the raffle should be used for payout this year, perhaps we just focus on either trophies or qualifier prizes and really aim for next year to re-institute the idea of a series final payout when the clubs can set appropriate fees to fund the series awards.
        PDGA #25296
        Stumptown #34

        Comment


        • #19
          Mike, how exactly are you totaling the points? Is it .5 points per stroke or something similar to value in stroke count? Also, do you have time to roll out an update before the Willy O?
          Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by all2common View Post
            Mike, how exactly are you totaling the points? Is it .5 points per stroke or something similar to value in stroke count? Also, do you have time to roll out an update before the Willy O?
            The values of the strokes are calculated based on the max score and min score in each division and where your score falls within that range. The points are not the same at each event for each stroke because it varies greatly on the play of the division. However it is normalized such that the winner will always acheive 100 points and each person below them will be less than 100.

            So this is the calculation: remember this is per division......[(max score)-(min score)]/your score = score factor
            (your score factor)*100/(max Score Factor)= points

            Thats why if you look at certain divisions in certain tournaments the scoring is very tight so the overall change between Max and Min score is a small value and therefore everyone has a point total of 90 or better, however other instances show a large range in the Max to Min score and the points total is spread out more down to a value in the seventies. I know it is not very easy to figure out what you need to score or place to finish in to win or get a certain overall placement but it does encourage you to fight for every stroke because it will effect your overall point total.

            For instance if in a tournament you are in second place by 3 strokes and have 3 strokes on third place with two holes to go. It would be very easy to assume that you will not catch first place and you could just cruise into second place, but second place does not guarantee 99 points it depends on how well you shoot in comparison to the leader so instead of just playing real conservative the player may try to reel in some throws and it benefits them to do so, in the points assigned by placement there is no incentive to push any harder you can only get 99 points.

            I am working on the update this week but work is getting in the way!
            Last edited by Flash; September 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM.
            PDGA #25296
            Stumptown #34

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Flash View Post
              The values of the strokes are calculated based on the max score and min score in each division and where your score falls within that range. The points are not the same at each event for each stroke because it varies greatly on the play of the division. However it is normalized such that the winner will always acheive 100 points and each person below them will be less than 100.

              I am working on the update this week but work is getting in the way!
              Thanks, Mike. Boo work.
              Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

              Comment


              • #22
                Here are the points updates after the 2009 Eugene Celebration:

                2009 Oregon Series Pro Divisions

                2009 Oregon Series Adv Divisions

                2009 Oregon Series Am Divisions

                Time to battle for the finish line, who is going to be the new Oregon Series Champions
                Last edited by Flash; September 27th, 2009, 08:42 PM.
                PDGA #25296
                Stumptown #34

                Comment


                • #23
                  series points

                  flash...could you double check your stats on adv. master...I got first in the fling but you gave rick more points...my 4 best are a 1st a 2ndand 2 3rds.....and thanks for your work on this...ya rock

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    series points

                    I guess I read that wrong....but I do not understand if Rick and I tied for 2nd at Hoodoo...we both have a first ,Rick the Calapooia and I the BFS,Rick has a5th at Eugene and an 8th at the BFS,I have 3rd at RCO and Calapooia yet he is ahead of me in points????...I am new to most of this but I thought a 1st,2nd and 2 3rds would score better than a 1st, 2nd,5th and 8th

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Rick's 5th place at Eugene was worth 3 points more than Dooley's 3rd at RCO, that is the biggest impact on the outcome there..

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                        Rick's 5th place at Eugene was worth 3 points more than Dooley's 3rd at RCO, that is the biggest impact on the outcome there..
                        Ya but why don't I have enough points to be in first place, I've played the best I could at all times and I think it's a plot against me, now if I took first at will. open could I make 1'st in the series pt's, oh please mr. webmaster could u let me know.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Come on guys its based on how you play not on how you finish! Go back and look at the scores in those tournaments and you will have your answers. Place means nothing if you are 10 strokes back from the guy in front of you. The points are based more on consistent play within your division and that is why Rick is leading this thing. Look at his scores vs yours and in events where you did not play against each other look at where you finished by number of strokes not the place of finish.
                          PDGA #25296
                          Stumptown #34

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            series points

                            Originally posted by Flash View Post
                            Come on guys its based on how you play not on how you finish! Go back and look at the scores in those tournaments and you will have your answers. Place means nothing if you are 10 strokes back from the guy in front of you. The points are based more on consistent play within your division and that is why Rick is leading this thing. Look at his scores vs yours and in events where you did not play against each other look at where you finished by number of strokes not the place of finish.
                            if you did not play well....you would not finish well....I am sure this is some of that new math I have run into as of lateAs far as scores vs scores and in events where we did not play against each other and finishing by number of strokes etc.that totally explains 1ST 2ND 5th and 8TH beating 1ST 2ND 3RD and 3RD...I guess what your saying is the players in the tourneys I finished 3rd in were not as good in general as the players in the tourneys rick finished 5TH and 8TH in.....sorry...I will abide by your numbers as you are the one keepin track....but I guess I am to old and stupid to wrap what is left of my brain cells around the fact I can win the BFS (A tier) (rick 8th) tie for 2nd with rick at Hoodoo,take 3rd at RCO..no rick..take 3RD at Calapooia (rick 1ST) take 7TH to ricks 5TH at Eugene and he is ahead of me because margin of victory

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by dooley View Post
                              if you did not play well....you would not finish well....I am sure this is some of that new math I have run into as of lateAs far as scores vs scores and in events where we did not play against each other and finishing by number of strokes etc.that totally explains 1ST 2ND 5th and 8TH beating 1ST 2ND 3RD and 3RD...I guess what your saying is the players in the tourneys I finished 3rd in were not as good in general as the players in the tourneys rick finished 5TH and 8TH in.....sorry...I will abide by your numbers as you are the one keepin track....but I guess I am to old and stupid to wrap what is left of my brain cells around the fact I can win the BFS (A tier) (rick 8th) tie for 2nd with rick at Hoodoo,take 3rd at RCO..no rick..take 3RD at Calapooia (rick 1ST) take 7TH to ricks 5TH at Eugene and he is ahead of me because margin of victory
                              Tom why are you getting upset about this. Look no one is saying that you did not play good golf this year, heck you won the BSF but you are not listening to what I am trying to explain to you. I am not trying to demonstrate some level of mathematical skills or anything like that. All I am saying is the points are based on how you played against your division. Yes you won the BSF but only by 1 stroke right so second place got 99.48 points behind your 100 points and look at third they finished 3 strokes back and received 98.46 points, so although you won, your competition kept it really close. Now look at the RCO, you finished in 3rd place 9 strokes behind first and that is why you only received 94.79 points but second place finished 2 strokes back and received 98.78 and that is because first and second place played significantly better than the rest of the field. Now at the Calapooia Rick finished in 1st and received 100 points and distanced himself from second place by 11 strokes and so second place only got 95.34 and you finished in third 12 strokes back and therefore only got 94.94 points. At the Eugene Celebration you finished 11 strokes back from the leader and Rick finished 5 strokes back from the leader and the overall finish for the top 5 was pretty tight score wise so therefore Rick's fifth place finish was better than your third place finish at the RCO or Calapooia.

                              Now do you see how your finish in overall strokes against your division at an event effects your points for that event.

                              Tom if you want to talk about this sometime I would be happy to go over it with you and listen to why you hate the new points system. But I used the new system to reward consistent play across 4 best events and that is what it is this year. I am open to what people think about the system and if they want to go back to the old system next year!
                              PDGA #25296
                              Stumptown #34

                              Comment


                              • #30

                                Tom if you want to talk about this sometime I would be happy to go over it with you and listen to why you hate the new points system. But I used the new system to reward consistent play across 4 best events and that is what it is this year. I am open to what people think about the system and if they want to go back to the old system next year!
                                I love it Mike! Can't wait to see how it shakes out after the WO!

                                Thanks for all you do

                                Dion
                                Team DISCRAFT
                                NW Sign Up
                                Gorilla Boy
                                Paragon Disc Golf
                                Odwalla

                                Comment

                                Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X