2014 KING of the AMS - Saturday, May. 31, 2014 - McCormick DGC Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 KING of the AMS - Saturday, May. 31, 2014 - McCormick DGC

Amateur Only One Day/Two Round PDGA Sanctioned C-Tier Disc Golf Tournament. Added payout by flydiscs.net. There will also be CTP's and an Ace Pot. KING of the AMS will be presented with a Gateway Ozark Backpack!

Players Pack:
    - UB Disc Golf 50/50 Blend T-Shirt
    - Gateway Hot Stamped Custom Disc
    - Gateway Hot Stamped Custom Mini
    - Pint Glass with Satin Etched Logo

Payouts:
    60% of payouts will be Normal to the top 1/3 of the field.

The remaining 40% of payouts are handicapped to players that play their highest average round rating above current PDGA rating. Not PDGA, not current, not eligible for the handicap portion of payouts. This structure will give a low rated player that plays well a chance to cash. If you are a current PDGA member and do not yet have a rating established, you can play in two PDGA sanctioned Lazy McSunday leagues on May 11th and May 25th (No League on 18th due to RCO). The average of those two ratings will set a rating used for handicaps in this tournament.

Players are eligible to cash in BOTH normal and handicap.

Ametuer Division Requirements:
    Men or Women of any rating that have never accepted cash before in a pro division.
    Men or Women rated 969 or lower if you have accepted cash before in a pro division.

Event Schedule:
    7:45am: Registration / Check-in
    8:30am: AM Players Meeting
    9:15am: Round 1 Tee Off
    2:00pm: PM Players Meeting
    2:30pm: Round 2 Tee Off
    6:45pm: Trophies, Payouts, CTPs, and Ace Pot

Links:
    http://dgscene.com/14KOTA
    http://www.4discgolf.com/14KOTA
    http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/17551/7517
    https://www.facebook.com/events/737856859568626/
    Last edited by jarednfischer; May 7th, 2014, 01:22 PM.

I'm really excited to participate in this event and test out a new format for competition where players are rewarded for playing better than everyone else AND players are rewarded for shooting above their rating. Division based competition is really kind of silly when you step back and look at it. As an amateur, if you win a division other than advanced you can't really say you are the best. Instead you have to say I was the best of all the players playing in my division who were rated low enough to play in intermediate, or old enough to play in advanced masters, or were the right gender to play in my division. I was the best of the rest, best of the older or best of the young players really isn't a best. We often see handicapped events, tournaments, leagues that try to reward those that play well. Unfortunately, what often happens in these events is people end up playing at a level lower than their best in order to keep their rating down so that future events don't penalize them for being a good player. The great thing about the King of the AMs event is that both the best and those that play well will be rewarded. EVERYONE has a chance to win prizes (scrip) at this event, not just the top half of the field.

I would like to personally thank Jared for trying out this format and standing up to the confused and neophobic. I'm sure we will all learn from this event. Those that don't like the concept can express your opinion by not signing up and saving your money for traditional events. Those willing to try something new can join us at the KOTA tournament. It should be fun, Jared did a great job with the Slosh, and I hope everyone will join me in helping Jared blaze the trail to a new (alternate) format in disc golf tournaments.

Comment

See revised listing above. Clarified payouts. Added pint glass!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
      Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X