X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eugene, OR - Hazardiscs Westy Shootout - 7/25/09

ONLINE REGISTRATION is now open. Secure your spot today by registering online... Click on the following: http://www.Hazardiscs.com/westyshootout.html

Hazardiscs is hosting another tournament. This time we will be at the Westmoreland Disc Golf Course on Saturday July 25th, tee off will be at 10:15AM with registration happening between 9:00AM and 10:00AM.

This tournament is going to be a points based challenge. Everyone will get one drive and, if needed, one putt for each of the 18 holes on the course. Every hole is going to be under 250ft, with the majority of them being close to, or under, 200ft.

================================================== =====

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

On your drive (choose only one):

If you land in the designated area around the basket you receive 1 point.

If you hit metal you receive 3 points.

If you ACE the hole you receive 6 points.

- and -

If your putt goes in the basket you receive 1 point.

================================================== =====

2 rounds will be played, with a lunch time break right in the middle.

CASH PAYOUTS will be SCALE BASED. The more people that show up, the bigger the payouts.

The Top 10 finishers on the Gold Side will receive a cash payout, and the Top 5 finishers on the Silver Side will receive Hazard Bucks, which can be used to purchase merchandise from our store.

The prizes awarded to the top 5 Silver Finishers are not scale-based, they are a fixed value and are as follows:

1st - $100HBucks
    2nd - $70HBucks
    3rd - $40HBucks
    4th - $20HBucks
    5th - $10HBucks

*Some of the merchandise in our store includes discs, DVD's, bags, and shoes.

Entry costs:
    $20 Gold
    $15 Silver

Here's a couple examples of the SCALE BASED PAYOUT:

90 spots will be open (50 Silver, 40 Gold) If the tournament sells out the cash payout will be as follows:

GOLD:
    1st - $150
    2nd - $135
    3rd - $120
    4th - $105
    5th - $90
    6th - $75
    7th - $60
    8th - $45
    9th - $30
    10th- $15

* if the tournament only fills up halfway, the payout will be as follows:

GOLD:
    1st - $70
    2nd - $63
    3rd - $56
    4th - $49
    5th - $42
    6th - $35
    7th - $28
    8th - $21
    9th - $14
    10th- $ 7

MORE DETAILS coming soon....
    Last edited by Hazardiscs; July 11th, 2009, 10:36 PM. Reason: revising text

Here's the layout for all 18 positions.

Comment

For more info click the above link.

Comment

i just moved into the 'Polk Plaza" appartments. I can literally look out my window and see the disc golf course. im living the dream!

i cant wait for the shootout, sounds like a "ton of fun"

Comment

sounds like a fun time... i'll do my best to make it.
          May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

Just as a note: Online registration is NOT REQUIRED. You can show up the morning of and register there too (on-site registration is from 9AM to 10AM). The good thing about registering online is that you're assured of a spot even if the tournament sells out.

Comment

My question would be...

WHY are you running this on the same day as 2 other regional events?

Comment

Hey Magilla,

We did try to find a tournament-free day, and we thought we had succeeded. We checked the PDGA website and discgolfersR.us to see if there was going to be any conflicting events and July 25th was open on both of those websites. So we set that as our day.

Later on we became aware of other events as they became more publicized.

This tournament was originally going to happen in August, but talk of the Discraft ACE RACE at the same course pushed us to move it up a bit.

Are the regional events you're referring to the event at Adair and the 2 day event at Sisters?

Some people can't make 2 day events so this might be a good 1 day event for them. I've also heard that sanctioned event fees are out of the range for some, so this tournament might be good for them too, entry fees start at only $15. I guess my point is that perhaps this event will appeal to a different crowd of disc golfers, ones that wouldn't be going to those other events even if the Westy Shootout wasn't being held that day.

Ryan
                ==========

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                My question would be...

WHY are you running this on the same day as 2 other regional events?

Last edited by Hazardiscs; July 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM. Reason: revising text

Comment

Originally posted by Hazardiscs View Post
                  Hey Magilla,

We did try to find a tournament-free day, and we thought we had succeeded. We checked the PDGA website and discgolfersR.us to see if there was going to be any conflicting events and July 25th was open on both of those websites. So we set that as our day.

Later on we became aware of other events as they became more publicized.

This tournament was originally going to happen in August, but talk of the Discraft ACE RACE at the same course pushed us to move it up a bit.

Are the regional events you're referring to the event at Adair and the 2 day event at Sisters?

Some people can't make 2 day events so this might be a good 1 day event for them. I've also heard that sanctioned event fees are out of the range for some, so this tournament might be good for them too, entry fees start at only $15. I guess my point is that perhaps this event will appeal to a different crowd of disc golfers, ones that wouldn't be going to those other events even if the Westy Shootout wasn't being held that day.

Ryan
                  ==========
                  Yes, I would be talking about those 2 events...

MOST people in the Northwest use Treelove's calendar seeing how it covers ALL types of events NOT just PDGA sanctioned..
                  http://freecal.brownbearsw.com/TreeLove

Note: The event in Sisters is a One Day event AND is non-sanctioned as well AND a fundraiser for course improvements. Its mostly "Public Awareness" with Booths, Demo's, side events, etc. WITH a killer cut throat Match Play event thrown in for the more serious Disc Golfers.
                  It wouldnt really conflict with us too much...BUT with a long time running event 1/2hr away from your own event .......THATS the conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                    BUT with a long time running event 1/2hr away from your own event .......THATS the conflict.
                    My guess is that 80% of those playing at the Westy event wouldn't have considered playing at Adair that day. Different type of golfer entirely.

And even if there's some conflict it's great to see people step up and run events. More choices = more fun.

Speaking of fun, now it's time to pack for the mountain!

Comment

It's all good.

I would echo what Magilla said about the Treelove calender. It is the most complete and up to date for the region.

I think I feel more for Magilla. It can't be easy to get people from this side of the mountain for anything less than a 2 day PDGA extravaganza. It's even harder to get people to come to course fund raising tournaments. Hopefully not being sanctioned and public awareness based you will get a lot of general public and first timers.

The Wash is a fund raiser for the Linn Benton Food Share. I get a lot of people who support that cause or enjoy supporting food banks in general. Although I get golfers from the Eugene and Portland areas most of the participants are from the Corvallis, Albany, Philomath area. My best advertising comes from people who have attended The Wash before. I have prizes from over 60 (haven't done an official count yet) local businesses and it doesn't hurt having Calapooia as a major contributor. I think the Susy Sticks tournament has become the major draw.

Crap! Did I just high jack this thread to promote my event?

I don't know who Hazardiscs is but I applaud you for running a tournament, it looks like an interesting format. Hopefully with just over 2 weeks notice you still get a great turn out.

Other than Worlds, there aren't any major tournaments really conficting with these events so hopefully we all do well.

There are a lot of golfers looking for something to do on the 25th. We have given them 3 choices.

Peace

Eric

Comment

I agree with both of you about the calendar. I asked John Stone what we could do to further spread the word about the tournament and he's the one that told us about nwdiscgolfnews.com and about checking out the Treeloves Calendar.

The calendar is great, we will definitely be consulting it before planning our next tournament.

Comment

Just saw the forecast for Saturday, it's going to be hot. The first round will start at 10:30 so the tournament will likely start off well, but that second round is going to be a hot one.

So in response to the heat we'll have a water cooler filled with ice water at the tournament director's tent for everyone that needs some refreshing.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X