Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help planning a tournament (Dabney or McIver)

hey guys this is my absolute first post so apologies up front.

i want to have a tournament at either Dabney or McIver park this summer.

i have never even played in a tournament so i could really use some help.

please send helpfull comments to frisbeegolf2009@gmail.com

i would realy appreciate any and all help to make this happen.

-Jordan

You should first check the calendar and avoid scheduling over other tournaments. That would ensure the highest possible turnout for your event.
    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

First thing to do, take it from me...check the calendar... and realize that most of the summer events already scheduled were conceived and planned some months before they were to happen, wink, wink, think fall
      educate your thinking

Comment

I neither participate in nor run tournaments, but everything I've read on this forum leads me to believe that it would be an incredible amount of work for a very low potential personal payoff (monetary or otherwise). Even if you can pull it off, think very hard about whether you should.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

What's the rush to have a tournament right now?

Play in a few yourself first. You'll get a better idea of what makes a good tournament experience.

Comment

I agree with Scott. Go to some tournaments - even if you do not play in them - and volunteer to help out. At the least, you will come away with more knowledge and experience than you have now which will only guarantee you more success for when you do run one.

Good on you for wanting to step up, though.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Good on you for wanting to step up, though.
              And I agree with Sam on this one.

Comment

In fact I know that Stumptown could use some volunteers this weekend, you should at least attend.
                educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                  I neither participate in nor run tournaments, but everything I've read on this forum leads me to believe that it would be an incredible amount of work for a very low potential personal payoff (monetary or otherwise). Even if you can pull it off, think very hard about whether you should.
                  Huh? Thanks for that Adam. If everyone thought that way, we would not have any tournaments at all
                  Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                  Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                  Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                  Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                  Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I don't think there is anything wrong with what Adam is saying. He is saying it will take a lot of self-sacrifice without much personal gain other than the gratification one receives in doing for others. He is right about that. That said, there will be many who will step up to run tournaments because they like doing for others - regardless of the reward they get out of it.
                    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I wanna score some bank if I run a tournament!

1's, 5's, 10's and 20's, 100 g's and I'm pullin' honeys
                      left and right, day and night
                      you gotta see it to believe it, it's quite a sight

-Everlast "I got the knack" circa 1990

Comment

Come out to Pier Park this weekend and see me at the Rose City Open. If you want to help out that is always appreciated but if you just want to talk for awhile about putting on a tournament that is fine too. I'll be glad to sit down with you for a bit and talk.

Bob

Comment

Don't pass up this ^^^^ opportunity
                          educate your thinking

Comment

Lots of dates open in the rainy season (Jan.1 - Dec.31).
                            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                              Huh? Thanks for that Adam. If everyone thought that way, we would not have any tournaments at all
                              It's what Sam said. I was worried that someone who comes out of nowhere, with no experience, and wants to put on a tournament on short notice, might be looking for a quick buck or something. Or at the very least is vastly underestimating the amount of work it'll take.

I've seen the anger and pissiness that tournaments can arouse in people when things don't go exactly according to someone's expectations (see Flipping Ze Disc, Oregon Series, et al.), and don't think someone should step into that unawares.
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X