June 13th Pier Park: 7th Annual Greener Horizons Disc Golf Open benefitting the BTA Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • June 13th Pier Park: 7th Annual Greener Horizons Disc Golf Open benefitting the BTA

    So I was told by the tournament TD that I could post up the announcement of the upcoming BTA 7th Annual Greener Horizons Disc Golf Open.

    Event Information.
    The event will be a PDGA sanctioned C-tier event.

    Registration is currently open through PDGA online registration.
    http://snipurl.com/j68bz
    Registration is capped at 72 players, and sign-ups will be held day of if the event doesn't fill in advance.

    Divisions:
    *****EDIT******
    No Pro divisions
    *****EDIT******

    Advanced Men (MA1) -- $40
    Advanced Women (FW1) -- $30

    Intermediate Men (MA2) -- $25
    Recreational Men (MA3) -- $20
    Intermediate Women (FW2) -- $20
    Recreational Women (FW3) -- $15

    Ace pot is optional and is $2
    Hole sponsorship is $25 a hole.

    The tournament is being held at Pier Park on Saturday June 13th
    Check in is at 10AM, first round begins at 11AM

    There will be two rounds, shotgun start. There will be a party after the event, location is currently TBA, at 6PM.

    The majority of proceeds are going towards the Bicycle Transportation Alliance.

    I don't currently know specifics regarding prizes and payout according to the TD they're being worked out currently.

    Here is a link to the current flier for the event.
    http://snipurl.com/j697c

    Questions can be directed to the tournament director Phil Richman at (503) 522-8025 or at philrichman@coloradoalum.org.
    Last edited by Joshua Olmsted; June 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM. Reason: Changes to information
    PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
    dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

  • #2
    No MA1??

    Comment


    • #3
      Two rounds and the first round starts at 11. Then there will be a party at 6? Interesting...

      Will registration be allowed on the day of the event?
      Last edited by DanZ; May 31st, 2009, 08:10 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Any discs included in the fees?

        Comment


        • #5
          I played this tournament a couple of years ago and wasn't too impressed.

          There were three divisions - Novice, Intermediate, and "Ringer". The cost was $20.00 per person and there were no payouts. The first place finisher in each division got a disc - not a trophy disc, just a random disc. I think some of them were used. There was really no order - you just showed up, paid your money, and then went out to play. The park was not reserved for the day, which led to conflicts with the usual summer Saturday afternoon crowd at Pier. When we finished, there was nobody there to take our scorecard - we had to turn it in at the players party which was held in a bar several miles away. Since Matthew was with me, he had to wait outside. To summarize, the guys who ran this tournament were not avid golfers and did not seem to understand all of the little things to that go into a tournament to make it run smoothly.

          I'm really perplexed about why the tournament is PDGA sanctioned this year. When I played, 95% of the participants were bike enthusiasts supporting the cause. Very few had ever golfed more than a couple of times and would seemingly not care at all about the PDGA.

          I'm not trying to be negative and bash somebody's efforts, although it must sound that way. I would just like to recommend to anyone who is considering this tournament to call the TD and ask questions to make sure you get the tournament experience you are expecting.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Scott View Post
            I played this tournament a couple of years ago and wasn't too impressed.

            There were three divisions - Novice, Intermediate, and "Ringer". The cost was $20.00 per person and there were no payouts. The first place finisher in each division got a disc - not a trophy disc, just a random disc. I think some of them were used. There was really no order - you just showed up, paid your money, and then went out to play. The park was not reserved for the day, which led to conflicts with the usual summer Saturday afternoon crowd at Pier. When we finished, there was nobody there to take our scorecard - we had to turn it in at the players party which was held in a bar several miles away. Since Matthew was with me, he had to wait outside. To summarize, the guys who ran this tournament were not avid golfers and did not seem to understand all of the little things to that go into a tournament to make it run smoothly.

            I'm really perplexed about why the tournament is PDGA sanctioned this year. When I played, 95% of the participants were bike enthusiasts supporting the cause. Very few had ever golfed more than a couple of times and would seemingly not care at all about the PDGA.

            I'm not trying to be negative and bash somebody's efforts, although it must sound that way. I would just like to recommend to anyone who is considering this tournament to call the TD and ask questions to make sure you get the tournament experience you are expecting.
            Scott,

            This post seems a little harsh given you have not contacted the TD either. The event director came out to the last Stumptown meeting and presented all of this information at the meeting and it is in the meeting minutes.

            Also don't forget these guys are not die hard disc golfers, they are bike enthusiasts that are trying to support the BTA by running a fundraiser disc golf event. They have listened to disc golfers of past and have gone the route of making the event more official, sanctioned, insured and properly run. I think they realize that the other bike enthusiasts are not their target audience so they are going the way of the die hard golfers. The event is at Pier Park and would be a great primer for the Rose City Open. It is a one day event and two rounds for those who can not make a two day event.
            PDGA #25296
            Stumptown #34

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Flash View Post
              Scott,

              This post seems a little harsh given you have not contacted the TD either. The event director came out to the last Stumptown meeting and presented all of this information at the meeting and it is in the meeting minutes.

              Also don't forget these guys are not die hard disc golfers, they are bike enthusiasts that are trying to support the BTA by running a fundraiser disc golf event. They have listened to disc golfers of past and have gone the route of making the event more official, sanctioned, insured and properly run. I think they realize that the other bike enthusiasts are not their target audience so they are going the way of the die hard golfers. The event is at Pier Park and would be a great primer for the Rose City Open. It is a one day event and two rounds for those who can not make a two day event.
              As I mentioned, I wasn't trying to be negative but I understand that it reads that way. I tried very hard to remain objective - everything I stated was a simple factual statement about how the tournament was run.

              Actually, I just re-read my post and noticed there is one statement that is opinion based: "To summarize, the guys who ran this tournament were not avid golfers and did not seem to understand all of the little things to that go into a tournament to make it run smoothly."

              I did not slam the organizers, and I did not tell anyone that they should stay away. I stand by my recomendation that anyone considering this event should contact the TD to make sure they are getting the experience they are expecting. I did not contact the TD because I do not intend to play this event.

              Comment


              • #8
                i know its a benefit tourney, but what am i getting out of it if i pay 35$ for this?
                i.e. players packs or discs or anything?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by whslaxplayer11 View Post
                  i know its a benefit tourney, but what am i getting out of it if i pay 35$ for this?
                  i.e. players packs or discs or anything?
                  Perhaps you could contact the TD and then respond back here with the answers to the questions you have asked.
                  PDGA #25296
                  Stumptown #34

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i know its a benefit tourney, but what am i getting out of it if i pay 35$ for this?
                    i.e. players packs or discs or anything?
                    Why is it always about what folks get for their entry? What you get is the chance to compete and help out, I thought that's what you wanted, now you want more? discs, etc. If you want discs for your 35 bucks go to NA, DGD and get some, you want to compete, pay your entry, and compete; I swear, greedy bastards. Ask yourself, why do you play this game, if it's all about the trinkets and stuff you get for players pacs you may want to re-think what is most likely another in a long string of bad, uninformed decisions dating back to high school.

                    Educate your thinking
                    educate your thinking

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JMan View Post
                      Why is it always about what folks get for their entry? What you get is the chance to compete and help out, I thought that's what you wanted, now you want more? discs, etc. If you want discs for your 35 bucks go to NA, DGD and get some, you want to compete, pay your entry, and compete; I swear, greedy bastards. Ask yourself, why do you play this game, if it's all about the trinkets and stuff you get for players pacs you may want to re-think what is most likely another in a long string of bad, uninformed decisions dating back to high school.

                      Educate your thinking
                      What's wrong with asking what you get for your money? I call that being an informed consumer. Many folks enjoy getting something for their money other than competition - perhaps a series of top-notch tournaments in our area have spoiled us all - but that doesn't make them bad people. Don't they have a right to an opinion that is not the same as yours?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by whslaxplayer11 View Post
                        i know its a benefit tourney, but what am i getting out of it if i pay 35$ for this?
                        i.e. players packs or discs or anything?
                        Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        What's wrong with asking what you get for your money? I call that being an informed consumer. Many folks enjoy getting something for their money other than competition - perhaps a series of top-notch tournaments in our area have spoiled us all - but that doesn't make them bad people. Don't they have a right to an opinion that is not the same as yours?
                        This following quote would lead me to believe that the focus would be to minimize costs and transfer the majority of the money to the Bicycle Transportation Alliance. So you get to compete in a official one day PDGA sanctioned event at Pier Park and you get to help out a worthy cause. I think I also remember Rich mentioning at the Stumptown meeting that BTA was throwing in some prizes or something like that. I hope we hear more to clear up the issue.

                        Originally posted by Joshua Olmsted View Post
                        The majority of proceeds are going towards the Bicycle Transportation Alliance.
                        PDGA #25296
                        Stumptown #34

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          im a 19 year old college student, so paying 35$ to compete without getting any discs ect in return is kind of steep.
                          So of course i am going to ask what we get out of it because im not gonna blow $35 to compete and support the BTA or w/e it is when i could be working, or playing with friends for free or a million other things

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You just don't get it Scott, for 35 you get to compete, thats it, that should be enough. Now if they were informed consumers they sure as hell wouldn't shell out 2 cents, let alone 35 bucks, to play this game. And as for opinions other than mine, shit Scott I've been married to the same woman for 26 years, believe me I hear lots of opinons other than mine. Don't make me switch this conversation to fairway manners, cause then Scott you lose for sure, after all you were the one who trashed these guys. I'm standing up for thier effort, not you greedy whiners who just gotta get more than the opportunity to measure your wangers.
                            educate your thinking

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JMan View Post
                              You just don't get it Scott, for 35 you get to compete, thats it, that should be enough. Now if they were informed consumers they sure as hell wouldn't shell out 2 cents, let alone 35 bucks, to play this game. And as for opinions other than mine, shit Scott I've been married to the same woman for 26 years, believe me I hear lots of opinons other than mine. Don't make me switch this conversation to fairway manners, cause then Scott you lose for sure, after all you were the one who trashed these guys. I'm standing up for thier effort, not you greedy whiners who just gotta get more than the opportunity to measure your wangers.
                              You and I are not on the same page here. Hell, we're not even reading the same book. I don't understand what is wrong with wanting to know what you get for your money. Competition only? Fine. For some people, that works. Others may expect more. That doesn't make them greedy whiners.

                              I never trashed anyone. I stated facts relating to tournaments that were run in the past. I have nothing against the organizers, their cause, or their right to hold a tournament.

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X