X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSF 2009 Wrap Up

I just wanted to mention this one last time. Mike Phillips and Jeff Mittl did an amazing job this year. Everyone knew the Oregon Series staff had set the bar extremely high and that even reaching that level was going to be a monumental task. These two not only reached the bar, but they cleared it with room to spare. The course looked incredible. The event was awesome. The payouts were record breaking. Every single person I talked to was in awe at the quality of this event.

Thank you for all your hard work guys.

Jeff
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
    I just wanted to mention this one last time. Mike Phillips and Jeff Mittl did an amazing job this year. Everyone knew the Oregon Series staff had set the bar extremely high and that even reaching that level was going to be a monumental task. These two not only reached the bar, but they cleared it with room to spare. The course looked incredible. The event was awesome. The payouts were record breaking. Every single person I talked to was in awe at the quality of this event.

Jeff
    Ditto on all of the above This was my first Fling and I had an awesome time. I had a blast playing with the women's advanced masters women we all had a kick ass time Thanks to everyone who helped make this amazing event happen, and I can't wait for next year already.

Cindy
    Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
    2013 Chick Flick co-TD
    Stumptown #176
    PDGA #37716

Comment

Really, really, really wish I could have been there to see it!!!! I've heard it was a huge, great event! Hope there are lots of photos being posted soon! Heard the crowds were huge too, any guess on the number of folks who showed up? A huge congrats to Mike Phillips and Jeff Mittl!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post

Jeff
        I've never bees to, or been a part of a National Tour Event but when the best players in the world and officials from the PDGA tell you that this is the standard by which ALL NT events should be measured you HAVE to believe them. Jeff and Mike did an amazing job. "Chains" the movie crew had not planned to come to the Fling but being in Eugene and close by at the last minute decided on Thursday to come up and at least get a bit of footage from the Clinic. They came, they saw, and they stayed over for some action on Friday.

I could write a book on my experiences at the Fling but will just say that from start to finish this has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. And that's a lot of life!

To all of the people that signed on as volunteers for me:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

My volunteer staff was just plain more than you can ask for. Did anyone notice how clean the course was each day? Steve McMahon, Christian Graham, and Chris Graham were out there every morning between 5:30 and 6:30 walking the course and picking up trash. With Tee Times, starting on time is soooo important. Having no experience with this kind of format I was a bit nervous. I asked Chris Graham to help me out and oversee the starters. I asked the starters to please be early and to be there Saturday, at Tournament Central at 6:30 a.m. I rolled into TC about 6:35 Saturday morning and Chris had already prepped the starters and they were heading to their respective starting stations. All players went out on time and the flow of the first round was off the hook. THANK YOU to ALL, and escpecially Chris Graham for being my lead on this. All of people that came out to help spot were incredible. Some of these people sat all day at various locations with not much of a break and came back the next day to do it all over again. You all ROCK. Thank you ALL so much! I do want to call out Jevon however. Anytime you need something brother just ask, I owe you. THANK YOU!

The person I MOST want to thank is my wife. I love you and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have been gone a lot for the past several months with the planning of the event. She took a day off work on Friday and was out there with me at 6:30 every morning and worked all day. She did it all! Manned TC, ran erronds, helped with scoring, manned the Stumptown booth, watch both at the same time, checked in players, packed boxes, ect, ect,. She caddied on Sunday morning for a friend of disc golf that needed some help. My wife is my HERO.

Ok, enough of the book! Thank you to all that planeed, set up, and implemented this incredible event. As we were taking down TC last night we were talking about next year. Yep, the planning has begun.

Bob

Comment

Yesterday at the Fling was probably the best time I ever had playing this game, and I wasnt even playing. Caddying for Valerie Jenkins (planned for a few months) for the final round, and being on the card with Des Reading, Carrie Burlogar, and Liz Lopez is something I will never forget. How many times in your life do you get the chance to do that. Also J Man coming with us doing the live scoring was cool too. Having a good friend along for the round was nice. The only bad thing these ladies had to say about the event was the late posting of Rd 1 tee times. Other than that they were saying how smoothly things were running and how beautiful the course looked.
          All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Ditto to what everyone posted above, and I couldn't agree no more!! Big KUDOS to BSF staff for their hard work to step in few months, and made it happen!! It was my first experience playing at BSF, and I really enjoyed playing with those awesome ladies in FM1.
            PDGA 38506
            ODDGA 27
            DDGA 176
            2012 Beaver State Fling Women ADV Master

Comment

before i go get my arse handed to me at work i would also like to mention that as my first BSF and NT event, this was nothing short of the best tourney i've ever been to.

to everyone that did all the hard work that was needed to run this thing, THANK YOU!.

it was epic.
              May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

I have never seen Milo looks so nice. My hat is off to everyone involved especially the crew that groomed this course to perfection. When I was walking it each morning I couldn’t believe I was at Milo. GREAT JOB!!!! I hope we can keep it as clean as it has been. I had a fantastic time.
                Just shut up and throw!

Comment

I would like to thank all those involved in this event ,from the awesome volunteers to the people behind the curtain,and would like point out many of these people would have loved to play but for a myriad of reasons could not....they set aside their disappointment and spare time to make this event one that we as local golfers can be extremely proud of...I would also like to say that the last three years playing disc golf in Oregon has actually been the most fun I have had with a group of people in my life.What an awesome place we live in!I did win my division and got that Zoo Glass trophy I have dreamed of...I am stoked...but as I looked around I realized my true prize has been the journey to get here...you people rock!!...not sure I could have got that all out at the awards ceremony...thank you and I will see you on the course.....Tom Dooley ADV. Masters CHAMPION 2009 BEAVER STATE FLING

Comment

Originally posted by dooley View Post
                    I would like to thank all those involved in this event ,from the awesome volunteers to the people behind the curtain,and would like point out many of these people would have loved to play but for a myriad of reasons could not....they set aside their disappointment and spare time to make this event one that we as local golfers can be extremely proud of...I would also like to say that the last three years playing disc golf in Oregon has actually been the most fun I have had with a group of people in my life.What an awesome place we live in!I did win my division and got that Zoo Glass trophy I have dreamed of...I am stoked...but as I looked around I realized my true prize has been the journey to get here...you people rock!!...not sure I could have got that all out at the awards ceremony...thank you and I will see you on the course.....Tom Dooley ADV. Masters CHAMPION 2009 BEAVER STATE FLING
                    Tom, congratulations! I'm in awe of what you have accomplished in the past year. You earned that trophy and I couldn't agree more with you that it's the people in this sport that makes it so special.

Bob

Comment

Thanks

First off want to thank jeff and mike for the epic job they did with the tournement and next bob for all the hard work gettting all the volunteers together it was the best time in disc golf ive had I worked my ass off but all the input from all the players made it so worth it and to be a part of this EPIC tournement was priceless. Looking forward to next year thanks to all the players for coming out to the tournement because with out you our work would be pointless
                      PDGA # 31451
                      2 Mini Aces
                      74 Aces
                      PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                      DISC GOLF OR DIE
                      BOB CABAL
                      DISCVANGO
                      JEFF ELLIOT
                      G-MAN
                      JORDAN LEWIS
                      JEFF HAGERTY
                      JAMES GARCELON
                      SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

Great job to Mike, Jeff, and all the volunteers who busted their ass throughout the weekend. Great work by the core team who stepped up months ago to organize and run this huge event... I'm not sure many people realize how many hours are spent to get that last 10% of perfection added to an event. I had a great time playing (finally!)... thanks to everyone who was on my cards for maintaining a fun, relaxed attitude.

Comment

along with the best part of the event was my funniest part of the weekend. Once the open men finished, the Open women had 2 holes to finish up. The mens gallery soon became the womens gallery. As they were finishing up on 18E I did notice a lot of faces I knew lookng at me as if saying "WTF is Trozzle doing caddying for Val". many of you may have not known the looks you were giving, but the looks I saw were epic.!!!!!
                          All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

There's a lot I could say about this event, but I'll try to keep it short. All in all, absolutely stellar job by all involved. Mike and Jeff, you guys did great, everything was well organized and smooth flowing. People I'd talked to before that had played BSF's talked about backups along the way, but I don't recall any significant waiting at all throughout the weekend. Great job by the volunteers too. I know how tiring it can be to sit around and hang out for hours in the hot sun spotting the same hole (especially when the chunder rolls through), but there were always spotters on potentially troublesome holes. And definitely props to all the behind the scenes people that did stuff like mowing the fairways, painting 10m circles, marking OB, etc. Awesome, awesome player packs--the shirts were incredibly cool, and the caddy books were friggin' sweet! Big thanks to the sponsors too, seeing all those big Keen flags waving as I drove in, I knew I was headed to something special. And aside from all the tournament specific stuff, I want to thank all the Portland locals for giving an out of towner true hospitality (well, all except for that one Will guy). Thanks to EVERYONE involved in some way or another for this event, it was by far the most professional and well done tourney I've ever been to.
                            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I want to thank Jeff, Mike and the rest of the BSF gang. I've only played one other tournament so I have no point of reference when it comes to how good a tournament is when compared to anther, but BSF ran smoothly and I had a great time playing these amazing courses.

Some highlights for me were (in no particular order):
                              -Lundy winning the MA1. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Congrats! And that roar from the crowd at the awards ceremony that surpassed Climo's applause was memorable.
                              -Meeting Sam from this board in my 2nd round, and asking him, "Are you the Sam..." Sam interrupts, "...who has a big mouth on the internet? Yeah, that's me." Ha!
                              -Seeing the StumpTown hole from the fairway for the first time while the little white floaties gently moved through the air. Beautiful. I just stood there and soaked it in. Then I shanked my approach into the mess in the hillside on the left.
                              -Meeting some of the Pro's for the first time. Jeez, Avery is ginormous, right? And I'm not afraid to say it: Ken's ears are larger in person.
                              -Watching the "Champ" be the "Champ". Tournament record, right? That final round was awesome. I need to learn how to throw a roller.
                              -Watching Gabe, from my first round, throw accurate 400 ft thumber after thumber. He shot a 61 that round. Awesome, best AM round I witnessed all Tourney.
                              -Having one of my best drives of the tourney be right in front Matt Crider, who was lounging at the tee for 8W- it left my hand perfectly and split the 2 trees at the end of the fairway before the island. Matt says, "Whoa! He did that with a 2 finger grip?!?"
                              -My 4 birdies of the tournament- Holes 4W, 4E, 5E and 9E. The Genius hole was the best Birdie of the tourney for me.
                              -Meeting Gwillim and letting him know that his statement about Klimo not breaking top 5 comment probably kept a lot of people from making the Champ their fantasy pick.
                              -The player packs. WOW!
                              -Hanging out with Paul Wright. It was good to see him have to work for this win. Trailing by 1 stroke going into the final round is something he is not used to. Kudos Paul.
                              -Breaking the Top 15 in MA1. I went into this weekend thinking I would really like to get in the top half.

Thanks again to all involved, and thanks for having this forum for me to gush about my BSF experience. I hope to do it again next year.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X