X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNO 2009 Quick Takes

While the other GNO thread is mired stewing over how long it takes to get scores posted, I wanted to start another focused on some of the good memories we'll all take away.

For me, I enjoyed playing with three rounds with one of the main reasons why Whistler's even exists (Steve Wright).

And then there was Andrew Rich's performance on holes 12 and 13 during the final round.

On hole twelve he uncorks a 360 hyzer that soars over the oaks and crashes about 30 feet short of the basket. He cans the putt.

On hole thirteen (up the hill) he tosses something (might have been a roller)that trickles back down the hill and settles behind a fir tree to the left and maybe fifty feet in front of the tee. Devastating lie. I'm thinking maybe a gentle toss back into the fairway and play for a five, but that why I was watching him and not vice versa.

He chooses instead to uncork an epic throw RH backhand roller over all the trees lining the left side of the fairway. (You know the ones I'm talkiing about, these are not saplings.)

With a perfect left to right breeze his throw soars up and crashes back onto the fairway maybe forty feet short of the basket. He didn't make the putt but it didn't matter. He chose a route and delivered. On both holes. The essence of golf.

Lots of other great images too. But those stick out.

Anyone else remember something?

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
    While the other GNO thread is mired stewing over how long it takes to get scores posted, I wanted to start another focused on some of the good memories we'll all take away.

For me, I enjoyed playing with three rounds with one of the main reasons why Whistler's even exists (Steve Wright).

And then there was Andrew Rich's performance on holes 12 and 13 during the final round.

On hole twelve he uncorks a 360 hyzer that soars over the oaks and crashes about 30 feet short of the basket. He cans the putt.

On hole thirteen (up the hill) he tosses something (might have been a roller)that trickles back down the hill and settles behind a fir tree to the left and maybe fifty feet in front of the tee. Devastating lie. I'm thinking maybe a gentle toss back into the fairway and play for a five, but that why I was watching him and not vice versa.

He chooses instead to uncork an epic throw RH backhand roller over all the trees lining the left side of the fairway. (You know the ones I'm talkiing about, these are not saplings.)

With a perfect left to right breeze his throw soars up and crashes back onto the fairway maybe forty feet short of the basket. He didn't make the putt but it didn't matter. He chose a route and delivered. On both holes. The essence of golf.

Lots of other great images too. But those stick out.

Anyone else remember something?

Andrews "upshot" on 12 is by far the sickest throw I have ever seen. He was dead behind that pine tree and there was no line for mortals. When he uncorked that shot everybody standing near me freaked out! How did he even dream it up? The route he took was unthinkable. Good on ya Andrew! I just wish I had seen Sean's ace on 9 too. it must have been insane. Every time I watch these guys I learn how to think outside the box. wish I could actually execute what they come up with.
    Training to be a bagger

Comment

Two quick ones come to mind for me.

Dave Heider's birdie on 17 long Saturday and James Moore driving it deeper than the pin on 18 Sunday. I have never witnessed someone crush it like that......Wow!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
        Two quick ones come to mind for me.

Dave Heider's birdie on 17 long Saturday and James Moore driving it deeper than the pin on 18 Sunday. I have never witnessed someone crush it like that......Wow!!!
        Almost to the bathroom Big D on that Vapor Trailer
        I was packing up my gear while he was unloading his bag and I was surprised how much faster his discs were going compared to everyone else. I think the gallery was too.
        No 360 either...
        I finally broke 60 (58) which was awesome, and earned me a Darr Pro from my man Bob. Thanks Bob!
        But not as Awesome as Ms. Haley Konrad shooting a 57
        and bringing the FPO trophy back to Portland. Great job girl!!

Another highlight for me was camping last night. We had shrimp and chicken kabobs, TONS of grilled veggies, good ,
        good times, AND one more beatiful day at 's
        Already looking forward to next year.....
        Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
        Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

2nd round, 2nd to bottom card in pro, jeremy francher had a solid round going, hole 8 shanks a roller left. upshot roller shanks way right of the pin, into nowhere'sville shrubery. before kevin maloney and i even have a chance to stop our pre-shot chatter, jeremey unleashes a 100 ft upshot through the shule and crashes chains to save par. fast and lucky. we loved it.
          May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

James "the kid" Moore birdied both 13 (uphill) and 14 (top of the world) back to back in his final round... that doesn't happen very often.

Whistlers is a shot making course and it was fun to watch to top cards attacking the holes... but I think if you asked most of us we would probably tell you that Whistlers won this year... It played pretty tough

Comment

Great thread, keep 'em coming...

Comment

Here are a couple of shots of our awesome camping spot, which is one of the best things I will take away from this years GNWO.

Cindy

Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                Stumptown #176
                PDGA #37716

Comment

Let's see... All of mine are about me, I think...

First round, I got to play with Ray McKillop (mine all mine) and found out that he is actually a really nice guy. I wonder if he came away thinking the same of me. We both played some CRAPPY golf that round.
                  70 foot putt to save par on 6 in the first round. Not Fancher-esque but it felt good.
                  12 foot putt for birdie on 14 in the first round that I actually made. First time in tournament deucing this hole.
                  Second round's turkey on 3, 4 and 5 was fun. Too bad that was needed to make up for the natural 6 I took on 17... The rest on 6 that was nearly 30 minutes killed that momentum quick.
                  Third round drive on 6 which skipped off of the top of the basket into the shule was exhilarating. Hitting the comeback for the deuce putting me two down after nine holes was shocking after my play on Saturday.

Oh... and for non-tournament stuff...
                  Breakfast with Bob and friends Friday morning was awesome. It was then that I knew I was at Whistler's for a tournament.
                  The casual round with Jamie on Friday was one of the most fun rounds of golf I have shot in a while and the doubles' round with Gawain, Jordan, Lonelle, Saulter, Darr, George and Jamie that afternoon was almost equally fun.

And of course there was the countless hours of just hanging out with good friends that I don't see nearly often enough that makes these tournaments special for me. I am already jonesing for BSF!
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Here's my story on why I will now be carrying two putters. Before the second round on Sunday I was putting around at the Eugene camp when someone mentioned that I was putting with a Rhyno. I said I practice putt with the Rhyno and my normal putter because I only carry one putter in my bag. "I mean, the only way I might lose a putter out here is if I throw it off the cliff on Hole 9."

My round started on Hole 9. I think you can see where this story is going.

My drive was almost pin high but about 35 feet to the right of the pin. As I sized up the putt I really tried not to think about my one putter going over the cliff. I did want to go for the birdie, because I was out of contention in the tournament, and because I wanted to get off to a good start for a change. I decided to go for it, but with a nice flat putt. The putt went over the top of the basket and landed flat. Whew! And then it bounced up on edge and time sloooooowed down as it started rolling, rolling, rolling right over the edge and out of sight. I did think it was funny, so that helped. It also helped that Bruce Murphy who I hadn't even met before, immediately offered me a replacement JK Aviar. Thank you Bruce, that was truly in the spirit of the game and I appreciate it!

Luckily my putter was out of bounds but had stopped short of going off the cliff and I was able to retrieve it safely, miss the putt for 4p, and move on at two over par after one hole. I had an okay round after that but ended up at 57. Next time, I'm laying up and carrying another putter!

Great weekend, great tournament, great people!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                      Here's my story on why I will now be carrying two putters. Before the second round on Sunday I was putting around at the Eugene camp when someone mentioned that I was putting with a Rhyno. I said I practice putt with the Rhyno and my normal putter because I only carry one putter in my bag. "I mean, the only way I might lose a putter out here is if I throw it off the cliff on Hole 9."

My round started on Hole 9. I think you can see where this story is going.

My drive was almost pin high but about 35 feet to the right of the pin. As I sized up the putt I really tried not to think about my one putter going over the cliff. I did want to go for the birdie, because I was out of contention in the tournament, and because I wanted to get off to a good start for a change. I decided to go for it, but with a nice flat putt. The putt went over the top of the basket and landed flat. Whew! And then it bounced up on edge and time sloooooowed down as it started rolling, rolling, rolling right over the edge and out of sight. I did think it was funny, so that helped. It also helped that Bruce Murphy who I hadn't even met before, immediately offered me a replacement JK Aviar. Thank you Bruce, that was truly in the spirit of the game and I appreciate it!

Luckily my putter was out of bounds but had stopped short of going off the cliff and I was able to retrieve it safely, miss the putt for 4p, and move on at two over par after one hole. I had an okay round after that but ended up at 57. Next time, I'm laying up and carrying another putter!

Great weekend, great tournament, great people!

Ok hopefully Ebee does not mind me recanting this from our last round. We were all safe on hole 9 although I did come really close to loosing my Cro. We all putted out safely with Ebee being the last to Putt. Amber and I were walking towards the next hole when were heard some commotion behind us. We turned around just in time to see Ebee frantically running after her putter that was rolling towards the drop-off. She did not make it the putter did go over the crest, but not all the way off. Ebee was able to scamper down the side to get it, which was a bit scary because from where Amber and I were it looked like she was just going to fall right off the side. She had dropped it retrieving it from the basket it did make for a good laugh.

Cindy
                      Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                      2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                      Stumptown #176
                      PDGA #37716

Comment

Gnwo rocks!!

I'm pretty stoked with my disc golf performance over the weekend. To start this is the first time being in the top 10 let alone 3rd at a PDGA sanctioned event. I've done well at little non-sanctioned tournaments but 27th was my best before this weekend.

I had such a great time playing disc with everyone that was on my card each round. Nice work Stew on coming back after a crappy first round (+10). I cannot complain about my scores considering I was doing my best on Sunday to throw my disc in the water on 7 and 9. The disc golf gods were on my side for sure. Respectively I shot a 58, 59, & 57 to finish a +12 total. Talk about a confidence builder to shoot consistently even with developing a nasty blood blister on my fore finger that popped half way through the Sunday morning round. Kept it together to finish strong. Made a key put to birdie 9 on the last round that tied me with Stew. Wish I could have hit my 40' birdie putt on 14 to finish the round though but at least I parred 14 all 3 rounds.

I made my longest tourney birdie putt on Saturday with an 80' shot on 2. Gotta love the blunt gum putt. Sure would have liked to had the ace on 10 though. Apparently I was just low of the basket but hit the pin. Nice birdie never less.

All in all that course is one of my favorites. Talk about a beautiful weekend of disc golf with good friends. See you all at Beaver State!!

Comment

I'll make mine quick because class is about to start.

Hole 13. Nate circles the basket with a sweet roller. Dion steps up to the teepad next and crushes a anhyzer airshot over the trees to land on top of Nate's disc. Both in arms reach of the bucket. I've heard of people duecing 13 but I hadn't seen it before so back to back shots was sick.

Comment

amazing stuff

So many great memories to store up from this year...

* Throwing glowy discs under a crystal clear star-filled night's sky with some of my favorite disc golf friends.
                            * Finally shooting a par round with the longer positions (only one bird and one boggy with plenty of crazy par saves).
                            * Parring holes 11 and 13 every round (last year they killed me).
                            * Caddying for some of my team from team disc golf--just for the added comradery, exercise and scenery.....
                            * Witnessing the single sickest ace ever from Sean Phillips on hole 9 after completely calling it
                            * Watching Gilmo get his putt back on by canning two or three 45'+ers.
                            * Oh and hearing my name during Dar's bagger song from inside my tent/car

Thank you for everyone who helped make the Great Northwest Open so awesome a time for me in so many ways.

Comment

Of course watching the pregnant disc golfer (Suzie Jones?) Ace hole 17 was incredible. (Already mentioned it on another thread, but it deserves mentioning again). Nate might of wished it had happened a second or two later. So let's hope next year it will be him getting the ace.

Sitting eating lunch at our camp down by the river, when all of a sudden a disc comes rolling through from a shot off the top of the world. Followed a few minutes later by a very frustrated golfer.

Getting to see Yose again. Been a couple of years. Then getting to watch him, Bruce, JJ, and Dan play in front of us our final two rounds. Which wound up taking a couple of years. Ha!

Watching these kids throw across fields I've never come close to crossing. Drew, Nate, Colin, and Mike were fun to watch in the final 18. We have to come up with a new term...big arm just isn't accurate...it's more like whip arm or quick arm....or natural born mystic arm. I don't know what exactly, but something new to describe these new young great players.

Eagles, Hawks, Vultures, and Owls....circling the course and flying through the trees. And one of the best shooting stars I've ever seen while shivering at 3:30 in the morning.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X