Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is a State "Points" Series really wanted?

The Title says it all.....

How much is a State "Points" Series really wanted?

discuss...............

Originally posted by Magilla View Post

discuss...............

I like the idea. Granted I have limited experience in the Oregon series so far, but I was looking forward to playing them all. If it was not a series I for sure would not play them all. I think the series aspect is a bigger draw than just random Oregon events.

Cindy
    Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
    2013 Chick Flick co-TD
    Stumptown #176
    PDGA #37716

Comment

discuss...............

Where are you going with this? Is this a byproduct of a meeting that took place at Whistler's over the weekend?

I agree with Cindy - it's very nice to have a group of tournaments tied together in a tangible way.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Where are you going with this? Is this a byproduct of a meeting that took place at Whistler's over the weekend?
        Maybe the lack of a meeting....

I think having series points is great. You get to see how you compare to those same people you play with at the tournaments in a variety of places in Oregon. Having tournaments a part of the Oregon Series as it is now seems to usually guarantee a good turn out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shavonne View Post
          Maybe the lack of a meeting....

Ding, Ding, Ding...We have a winner...

I had a total of 2 reps show up at the meeting.....

Apparently...our Td's & rep's pay attention/attend players meetings about as often as they check this forum.

For the number of people who declared the "Right" to attend...I was suprised to see NONE of them.

Comment

Keeping track of the points is a few hours of work after each tournament (not a huge job for 1 volunteer, I could do this). However, what is the reward for competition? Trophies? A pat on the back? The feeling of accomplishment? Cash / script? No money is being taken from events this year to go toward a year-end payout so any prizes would have to be a result of series fund raising.

I'd like to hear from the players - are series points and winners worth following without any material reward (trophies, cash, etc.)? If not, is there anyone who would take over the enormous overhead of obtaining sponsorship or collecting additional cash from each Series event and then turning that into end-of-year awards?

Comment

Considering the amount of time we've had to pick up where the Bellinger's have left off, perhaps we should focus all of our energy this year on putting on the best individual tourneys we possibly can and set a long term goal of putting on a rocking Oregon Series next year. This will give us a little extra time work out the kinks and details associated with such a task.

Another idea I was pondering was using the individual events as qualifiers for a final Oregon State Championship. We could give away invites to the top 3 previously unqualified players in each division; similar to the way the USDGC handles it. This would be a motivator to play the events AND it would give us a State Championship event.

Just a thought...
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

i think the whole thing for me is the series aspect,declaring a champion over a seriers of events on the premier courses in our state,
                that's why i'm sticking all my disc money into the worlds this year and next year all see what series is offering the overall series championship and join that series
                as for this year this should have been decided before w.b. not during or after
                and with the lack of response at the meeting i wouldn't bother this year
                as for next year i would be more than willing to be involved with doing the overall totals and collecting and making trophies i like making trophies

Comment

Maybe it doesn't have to be about materialistic gain. what if a the highest ranking oregon player from this series was allowed to register first for the next years events?

i just scrolled up and realize this was kinda what Bullesye said....consider this reinforcing.
                  Ya i'm one of those guys!!!!!!:chug::rockon:
                  Live it. Love it. Rip it.
                  Stumptown # 190

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_R View Post
                    No money is being taken from events this year to go toward a year-end payout so any prizes would have to be a result of series fund raising.
                    Is this for sure? Mike Phillips said that there was series money built into the entry fee for the BSF. I thought that the same happened with the GNO. Was this not the case?

I'd like to hear from the players - are series points and winners worth following without any material reward (trophies, cash, etc.)? If not, is there anyone who would take over the enormous overhead of obtaining sponsorship or collecting additional cash from each Series event and then turning that into end-of-year awards?
                    Sounds like a job for... SuperStateCoordinator!
                    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      Is this for sure? Mike Phillips said that there was series money built into the entry fee for the BSF. I thought that the same happened with the GNO. Was this not the case?

Sounds like a job for... SuperStateCoordinator!
                      Here is what the flyer says for the Midsummer Glide.

The following will be subtracted from entry fee:

Hoodoo lift $20
                      PDGA B-Teir $3
                      KOM Tour $3
                      ORS Series $3
                      Ace Pot $1

Looks thier is money built into this event as well?

Cindy
                      Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                      2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                      Stumptown #176
                      PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
                        Here is what the flyer says for the Midsummer Glide.

The following will be subtracted from entry fee:

Hoodoo lift $20
                        PDGA B-Teir $3
                        KOM Tour $3
                        ORS Series $3
                        Ace Pot $1

Looks thier is money built into this event as well?

Cindy

You are correct....

Im am NOT sure IF GNWO collected Series fees....a "Representitive" was not sure and I didnt bother Tom about it.

Mike Phillips DID say that BSF had accounted for a $3 fee.....

Ryan Lane did the same for Mid Summers Glide.....

I was "hoping" that some sort of structure could be decided upon at GNW so that we could still continue a "points" series with awards WHILE re-building our infrastructure for next year.

IF something else is decided upon for this year then I would suggest that the TD's absorb those funds into the payout/purse of each event.

I CAN be the person who handles the "Fees"/awards for finals,etc. if need be....with full disclosure, of course.

Comment

You are correct....

Im am NOT sure IF GNWO collected Series fees....
                          Once the dust settles from the tournament, I'll find out. My sense is that they didn't because if they did it will end up in the EDGC treasury and then I'll know (since I'm the treasurer). Also, I'm not sure that Tom would have wanted to pull almost $500 out of the tournament payout.

As far as a "points series" goes, it doesn't matter to me since I play in a little division (PGM) that won't be offered at a number of tournaments, so I can't qualify anyway. And I'm not sure why we'd want to give a $$$ award to people who have been cashing all year.

A much bigger issue is coordinating the scheduling for 2010.

I know that the southern Oregon folks want (and deserve) an ORS event.

The old ORS crew understandably resisted because of the incredible travel requirements. But that was then.

Comment

Well... that's not why the southern Oregon folks didn't run ORS events for a while but that is all water under the bridge since the old ORS is done.

As for giving $$$ to people who have been cashing all year, this is fairly traditional in most series that I am aware of. There are all kinds of things that can be done with the money other than awards, though. Shirts for people who have played 4 events has been done. Could be done again.

Mostly, I would just like to see as much continuity as possible. What has been has worked and worked well. We would be wise to try and do many of the same things they did.
                            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Regardless of whether or not the series will continue I will be keeping the points and I will let you know who wins the overall!!!!
                              PDGA #25296
                              Stumptown #34

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X