Go BIG or go Home Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Go BIG or go Home

    So with the state of Disc Golf in the NW this season it appears it might be time to make a leap. GNO fills under 36 hours! BSF setting a remarkable record! I would expect the same for the RCO. If things keep up this way for all events this season I'm inclined to believe that some major changes are in order for next year.

    This is just hypothetical thinking on my part so don't hold me to it. Just testing the waters here on the forum.

    What if:

    Rose City Open 2010
    3 days
    3 courses
    A tier

    Pier
    Trojan
    Dabney/Hornings (new course)/Milo?

    Offer me some feedback, what do you think? Can it work? How CAN we make it work? How do we offer more players the opportunity?

    Bob

  • #2
    Wow, that is a lot of driving between the 3 courses.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think Hornings is capable of hosting an A-Tier by itself in 2010 with 3 courses. The short one might get some controversy but 3 rounds and a final 9 would be a super family weekend at Hornings...
      When having 2 courses, I usually hope they are less than 10-15 miles apart. I am also hoping that the Jerry Miller DGC @ Camp Taloali gets some good reviews in the fall after some adjustments and it easily can hold a temp 18 to make 36 holes. The lodging and amenties there are awesome compared to the other host sites in the ORS... I don't mind helping TD a B Tier at Camp Taloali next Aprilish, if there were an interest in it...

      Comment


      • #4
        No need to drive between courses on the same day.... just play 2 rounds per course per day.

        or

        At every Worlds I have been to, there have been drives of up to an hour between courses. You get a 2-hour break, it works out fine.
        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
          No need to drive between courses on the same day.... just play 2 rounds per course per day.

          or

          At every Worlds I have been to, there have been drives of up to an hour between courses. You get a 2-hour break, it works out fine.

          Bingo! AND would'nt it be a hoot to have a pro final 18 on the Hornings Short Course? I believe that with 3 days, 3 courses there are a lot of options that are yet to be explored. Lets think outside the box here and see where it goes.

          Bob

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Over the Hill" Bob;13157][SIZE=" View Post
            Bingo[/SIZE]! AND would'nt it be a hoot to have a pro final 18 on the Hornings Short Course? I believe that with 3 days, 3 courses there are a lot of options that are yet to be explored. Lets think outside the box here and see where it goes.

            Bob
            Can you have an A-tier on homemade baskets?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Over the Hill" Bob;13157][SIZE=" View Post
              Bingo[/SIZE]! AND would'nt it be a hoot to have a pro final 18 on the Hornings Short Course? I believe that with 3 days, 3 courses there are a lot of options that are yet to be explored. Lets think outside the box here and see where it goes.

              Bob
              Pro finals? On the short course? Nothing personal here, but no thanks.

              I truly appreciate everything being done out at Horning's, but birdie or die courses hold zero interest to me. The original course at Horning's is about as short of a tourney course as I would like to be playing.
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                Can you have an A-tier on homemade baskets?
                Not unless one is sent into PDGA Headquarters and is technically approved.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think Dabney would be a HUGE mistake. It's not a good tournament course, especially with a large field. Add to that the fact that Dabney is pretty gnarly in July, and I think you'd have a disaster on your hands.

                  Pier and Trojan, and then maybe look into a place to setup a temporary course would be best, in my opinion.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                    Pro finals? On the short course? Nothing personal here, but no thanks.

                    I truly appreciate everything being done out at Horning's, but birdie or die courses hold zero interest to me. The original course at Horning's is about as short of a tourney course as I would like to be playing.
                    Sorry Jeff, maybe you missed the smiley? If used as a third option for the RCO it would only be the third big course and only if baskets approved and cement tees.

                    Keep the comments coming!

                    Bob

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I love playing at Hornings! Having said that, I won't play a PDGA tourney on the homemade baskets.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KenGilmore View Post
                        I love playing at Hornings! Having said that, I won't play a PDGA tourney on the homemade baskets.
                        Hornings was one option but what if REAL baskets were put in? Viable option? What other course to make a third?

                        Bob

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          One of the reasons the Willamette Open isn't an A tier is the fact many of our local club members would not be able to play an A tier since they are not PDGA members. I don't know why they don't just join, but I could foresee a problem along those same lines in other areas. Also, it takes a big chunk of change to do an A tier, but I think it would have a huge draw in Oregon.


                          I'd play Trojan / Pier for an A tier. I'd play Timber / Adair for an A tier. I'd play Whistler's for an A tier. Not much else though...besides Milo which already has a NT.
                          Team DISCRAFT
                          NW Sign Up
                          Gorilla Boy
                          Paragon Disc Golf
                          Odwalla

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                            I'd play Trojan / Pier for an A tier. I'd play Timber / Adair for an A tier. I'd play Whistler's for an A tier. Not much else though...besides Milo which already has a NT.


                            What HE said..................

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              hmmm.....

                              Originally posted by gwillim View Post
                              Pier and Trojan, and then maybe look into a place to setup a temporary course would be best, in my opinion.


                              I like the idea of a temporary course--do you have any ideas where that would be set up? That would definitely increase the field size...and it could be seriously badass. How much does it cost to "reserve" a large scale park like Gabriel Park?

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X