• Show
Clear All

Kelly Point
    educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by KenGilmore View Post

I love playing at Hornings! Having said that, I won't play a PDGA tourney on the homemade baskets.

Hornings was one option but what if REAL baskets were put in? Viable option? What other course to make a third?

Bob
      I resent the term REAL baskets as much as I resent the term "REAL golf". Horning's baskets are every bit as REAL as any old wire basket. Let's see you make one. They just don't catch REAL well. However, they are equally finicky at all times, and I would gladly play a PDGA event on them. I guess I am just not as serious as Ken.
      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedisc View Post

I like the idea of a temporary course--do you have any ideas where that would be set up? That would definitely increase the field size...and it could be seriously badass. How much does it cost to "reserve" a large scale park like Gabriel Park?

Mt.Tabor..........

"In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
          I resent the term REAL baskets as much as I resent the term "REAL golf". Horning's baskets are every bit as REAL as any old wire basket. Let's see you make one. They just don't catch REAL well. However, they are equally finicky at all times, and I would gladly play a PDGA event on them. I guess I am just not as serious as Ken.
          First, when I made the original post, I knew I would get a reaction about the baskets from somebody. However, let it be shown that I never once said the baskets at Horning's aren't real:
          Originally posted by KenGilmore View Post
          I love playing at Hornings! Having said that, I won't play a PDGA tourney on the homemade baskets.
          Someone else made the distinction with "real" baskets. Not I. Regardless, it seems someone has touched a nerve!

But while we are on the subject, let me just state that I am a huge fan of homemade baskets (I have on many occasions stated that the Lunchtime course would lose much of its charm if the baskets were replaced with "real" baskets!). However, not all homemade baskets are created equal. I am a fan of (almost) any baskets as long as they are consistent. IMHO, the baskets at hornings are anything but consistent.

Comment

It was Bob who used the term "REAL baskets", not Ken, sorry if I quoted the posts wrong, the stupid "no nested quotes" thing screwed me up. Also, I agree that the baskets catch inconsistently at Horning's, especially on course 1, but I think they do so with consistent inconsistency.

Comment

It was Bob who used the term "REAL baskets", not Ken, sorry if I quoted the posts wrong, the stupid "no nested quotes" thing screwed me up. Also, I agree that the baskets catch inconsistently at Horning's, especially on course 1, but I think they do so with consistent inconsistency.
              My sincere apologies for offending your more sensitive side Gawain. As someone who is not a "real" disc golfer (I only pretend to be one on the internet) I chose my words inappropriately. Of course the baskets at Hornings are "real" and I myself LOVE them. As with the ones at Tom Pierce in Grants Pass and the ones at the Mud. I SHOULD have said "homemade". What IF the baskets at Hornings were "factory" made? Would that be a viable third course?

Bob

Comment

Hmmm, what are the opinions on playing a PDGA tournament at Lake Stevens, where the baskets actually are PDGA approved?
                Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Hmmm, what are the opinions on playing a PDGA tournament at Lake Stevens, where the baskets actually are PDGA approved?
                  1. I've never played at Lake Stevens
                  2. I do know about the baskets at Lake Stevens
                  3. I will never play a PDGA event at Lake Stevens
                  4. I will likely never play a non-PDGA event at Lake Stevens

Comment

Here's one of the culprits:

For the record, I wouldn't play a PDGA event there either--no way I'd want to gamble my rating (stellar as it is) with those. I'd play an inexpensive casual tourney there though.
                    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Remember, lack of smileys in my posts does not indicate lack of love. It's all good. Actually, smileys are a good indicator of my BAC.

I would play a PDGA at Lake Stevens or Hornings. A common misconception: "playing a course with wacky baskets would reduce my rating". Everyone would have to play the same course, same baskets, so your rating would only go down if you played poorly relative to the field, and relative to how you normally play.

Comment

Remember, lack of smileys in my posts does not indicate lack of love. It's all good. Actually, smileys are a good indicator of my BAC.

I would play a PDGA at Lake Stevens or Hornings. A common misconception: "playing a course with wacky baskets would reduce my rating". Everyone would have to play the same course, same baskets, so your rating would only go down if you played poorly relative to the field, and relative to how you normally play.
                        Well, not entirely true.

People that have learned the magic technique for putting at Lake Stevens have a HUGE advantage over others who are otherwise good putters but haven't played there (or played there enough to figure the baskets out).

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          Now don't you start talkin' smack about Lake Disc Rejector! I own me a piece of that dubs record. Good thing we were playin' for dollas that time!

Almost as fun as Rochambeau with Session caps!
                          Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                          Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                          Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                          Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                          Or does here stand the last remaining man
                          To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                          No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                          Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                          Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                            Kelly Point
                            What he said.

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                              Kelly Point
                              Has anyone looked into whether or not this is viable? I've only been there once or twice, but it seems like a great piece of land. Is there enough usable space that doesn't interfere with the other park uses and natural areas?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                                Has anyone looked into whether or not this is viable? I've only been there once or twice, but it seems like a great piece of land. Is there enough usable space that doesn't interfere with the other park uses and natural areas?
                                We are not looking at putting in a permanent course (yet) so a reserved park use for the tourney could get away with more than a shared use permanent course could.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X