X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dion,

That was enlightening. Thanks. And I mean that.

I have not questioned his ability, only his attitude. Which I think sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by the flogging putter View Post
      On another note Sam are you really a DUKE fan?
      Absolutely. How could you ever not root for Coach K?
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
        Mag-
        Why do you continue to make backhanded jabs at the old ORS staff at every opportunity...?
        I have to agree here. I'm tired of it as well.

The ORS series did more for NW Disc Golf over the past few years than any other organization. Why don't we let them retire with the honor and respect they rightly deserve. Nothing is to be gained from trashing people, regardless of how subtly the trashing is done.

With that said, Oregon Disc Golf is going to thrive... with or without the ORS Series or a State coordinator. Why? Because Oregon golfers rule. Period.
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
          He wants to know what people are willing and capable of doing, instead of hearing what people want to have happen.
          I was just trying to wrap my head around what has been done and what needs to be done before taking the next step. I have some very real ideas about how I could help, but I wasn't sure if anyone had stepped up in these particular areas.

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
            As with Stumptown!

A meeting of TD's is fine, but what we REALLY need is a meeting of Clubs. My suggestion would be for each club involved to have a representative available at GNO for a meeting. I wll be there and will represent Stumptown.

Bob
            Agreed. At our next EDGC meeting I'll make a motion to appoint (annoint) a similar rep. Could very well be Rebecca for simplicity's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              I was just trying to wrap my head around what has been done and what needs to be done before taking the next step. I have some very real ideas about how I could help, but I wasn't sure if anyone had stepped up in these particular areas.
              Sometimes I hate internet forums! I just had to say that!

Scott's intent was good and he is right from a DG'ers persepective that wants to keep things moving in the right direction. Any offer by Scott for help cannot be overlooked. I've know and worked with him for many years and I can tell you some of the projects that we were tasked with at Nike were monumental and Scott being on the Team made the job A LOT better.

There's a lot of issues already being talked about but it does seem to be a group here and a group there and everyone has an idea of what does or doesn't need to be done. We do need to have a group or individual to oversee the "Series". My suggestion of course is for a 'group' to oversee versus an individual. I think Mike is a very capable leader but as a representative of Stumptown, I feel decisions being made need to involve the club as well.

Everyone can be assured that things are indeed well under control for the Beaver State Fling. Jeff and Mike are doing a remarkable job on this event. If you don't get signed up for this one, you will want to come out and visit anyway. It will be an incredible event. We are now also working on the Rose City Open and hope to make it even bigger and better than years past.

I've never been involved at this level of planning and running disc golf events, other ventures, but not disc golf and can tell you that what you see when you arrive at a tournament wasn't just set up prior to you arriving. Work has been done for months by a lot of hard working people. We are a disc golf 'community', and as with any community, we have and need a variety of people with different and differing ideas. The goal hopefully is the same for all of us, to evolve and grow disc golf and make the sport better in every way. A group to over see the ORS can work but doesn't need to be a "our way or the hyway" way of doing business. Hearing positive ideas from our community is a good thing. Lets keep this a positive thread about improving and growing the ORS not a bash fest.

Guess thats it for now!

Bob

Comment

http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...read.php?t=817

I thought this entire conversation sounded familiar.

maybe this is why Magilla is trying to step up and organize the effort...

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                  As with Stumptown!

A meeting of TD's is fine, but what we REALLY need is a meeting of Clubs. My suggestion would be for each club involved to have a representative available at GNO for a meeting. I wll be there and will represent Stumptown.

Bob
                  The reason I say "TD's" is that THEY are the one's that run the events.

Yes the clubs are "involved" but in MOST cases its the TD who does 90% of the work.

THEY go to the clubs with the info....WHY would "Roller Bob" be the contact for Stumptown? Would that be better suited for Mittl or Flash? Being that they are the Co-Td's for your largest event?

Im not seeing WHAT it is that each club needs to ratify?? At this point we are continuing on under the same rules that have been established.
                  Until we meet and "decide" to change things, there is no reason for "clubs" to ratify anything.

We are trying to move on and deal with what we have been dealt...not FOLD

Comment

Mag-
                    Why do you continue to make backhanded jabs at the old ORS staff at every opportunity and also try to make yourself sound like the king of all things DG at the same time?

I did this?? Where??

Its unfortunate that you see it that way.
                    I suppose that WE have had VERY different paths to where we are in the Disc Golf World.
                    I have dedicated nearly 17 yrs of my life to the Promotion and running of events AND Series. In that time, I have "aquired" a vast knowledge in what works and what doesnt in the Disc Golf scene.
                    Sure no one wants to hear about how the NorCal Series did it or does it.
                    But in reality, it did work AND can work for the Oregon Series.
                    I have been put in this position (Coordinator) by the players and EVERYTHING I am doing is for the players benefit. Some may not see it that way, others do and understand the "Big Picture"
                    I can surely step back and do nothing, coordinate the schedule and play on.
                    But that is not the way I am, I WILL "share" my thoughts on what I feel should happen. And those thoughts are based on my years of experience.
                    NO WHERE have I "dictated" anything, beyond my "power". If that was the case there would be NO MEETINGS and I WOULD be telling you exactly how it will be done. But instead, I am attempting to "coordinate" between the TD's to DEAL with the situation at hand.

As with any person in a "leadership" position could tell you, NOT everyone is going to be happy with their actions...thats life.

Would you like me to resign...That would make my wife happy.
                    I DID STATE when I was running "Make my wife happy, DONT vote for me"

Now that I think about it, according to the PDGA, IF I did resign then the PDGA Vice-Pres would have to take over for me until the next vote in 2010. That would be Cris B., I wonder how he would like the job.

Comment

God Wes You need help. You/ We / Them /whoever should think of the Oregon series as a Phoenix. A rebirth from the ashes left after the resignations at so late a date for 2009.

That being said
                      Take the good forward, work on the weak and dump the bad these three ideas will make DG stronger in the long Run.

Jeff If you mean The Ore staff did more for DG than anyone else lately. Like promoting the NW I agree but to leave the way they did does more good than most realize. It forces us off our asses and actually be responsible for our own fun not someone else do it for us. i believe that's why Mags chooses the words phrases and sentences he does.
                      rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        The changes that are occuring with the Oregon Series have been well discussed and bitched about. Now, lets talk about how to use this opportunity to improve the series as we acutally go forward.

There have already been some complaints about how registrations were handled at the GNO. Specifically, that qualifiers were not given the opporunity to pre-reg. That seems to be one of the features past series that has fallen through the cracks. So what cracks are left? What functions of the Oregon Series have been picked up and what is left to do? The BSF appears to be in good hands, but that was only a fraction of what Cris and Teresa did.

Here's a list - completely off the top of my bald head - of some things that need to be addressed. Please speak up if they already are. Also, please feel free to add to the list.
                        • Maintain the ORS website (side thought - who has the "keys" to this site, and will it stay that way?
                        • Maintain a list of qualifiers for pre-reg purposes
                        • Track points for end of series awards
                        • Purchase a ScorePoint scoreboard
                        • Scrip Vendor - is there one?
                        • Tee signs?
                        • Tents, tables, sound system, and other tourney central stuff?
                        • Water jugs
                        • Some way to haul all of the stuff above from tourney to tourney

What else can be added here? Is there anything on the list that somebody has already stepped up to take care of?

Lets get a positive discussion going, and see what we can accomplish.
                        I have offered SEVERAL times to help with the ORS website. I personally talked to Todd Andrews, and left dozens of emails and phone messages for the bellingers to no avail. I have plenty of time available to make the necessary updates. Otherwise i can showcase the Oregon series on DGO, but not sure how receptive people are going to be to that.

As always DGO is here to help with whatever Oregon Golf projects we can.
                        http://www.discgolforegon.com

Comment

Typically a "club" is an organized group of people who decide to do things based on a consensus within that group. While a few members of that group may take on a majority of the tasks, it is the group that decides to provide their resources as a club to support a particular effort.

I understand Stumptown is throwing the BSF this year, with the dedicated support of several members. Same with the Eugene Celebration if I'm not mistaken.

So, Mag, I believe what those couple members of those clubs have attempted to have you understand is that it would take the club's themselves to "ratify" or "OK" your PROPOSALS in regard to an Oregon Series. At least if a "club" is going to use their resources

Of course, you might be able to find a few people to do everything your way with no other input. That really sounds like what you want, so why not start from scratch and you can put together a whole series yourself.

Or you can step off your little mountain and start listening to what others have to say. No one said you have to use the ideas of those folks you obviously feel so superior to, just treat them with respect.

You sound well qualified and fairly well recommended. I'm sure if you approach this a little more tactfully you'll receive the support you need.

Personally- from someone who from time to time suffers from a holier than thou attitude- yours seems to be a particularly bad case. Running a DG event or series is by no means rocket science. Your expertise could be replaced by a 14 year old. Really.

Comment

Running a DG event or series is by no means rocket science. Your expertise could be replaced by a 14 year old. Really.
                            Effective NOW...
                            Some 14 yr old named WES is going to run the Oregon Series.
                            His "past" record proves he is worthy of the job....

USDGC...here I come!

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                              Effective NOW...
                              Some 14 yr old named WES is going to run the Oregon Series.
                              His "past" record proves he is worthy of the job....

USDGC...here I come!

Well said...I do not think Wes has much to talk about regarding how easy/hard it is to run an event let alone a series.
                              Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Never mind Mag. You appear to suffer from narcissism.
                                I'm sure you'll do well and make things happen.
                                I'll just try not to let your Big Man on Campus attitude bother me.
                                And you probably don't realize you put down the Bellingers at every opportunity. That's a sign of narcissism.
                                Threatening to quit because a couple people disagree with you or call you on your attitude. Another telltale sign.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X