X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Who Gets In?

Let's start with the fact that at the OLEs and now the GNO the registration window is getting very, very small. The old adage about 'just sign up early' doesn't hold up because now 'early' means 'yesterday'. Last year Qualifiers got a special chance to register but that system seems to have broken down.

So with a huge demand and limited supply, who should get in?
    1. Is it only those people who stalk the various bulletin boards and can jump when the alarm goes off? (Given this audience, I'm guessing that this will OK to everyone).
    2. Should members of the hosting clubs get an early entry into their own tournament?
    3. Should the spots be up for bid on eBay? (This could raise some serious cash).
    I guess my question is, does this market need some of regulation or do we like the wild west? I guess we've got all season to find out.

I would like to see some form of regulation. Last year's qualifiers first worked, I thought. That's only because I was a qualifier, so it definitely worked for me. I like the idea of club members getting early entry to their own tournament - might provoke people to join more clubs. Also, in some cases it might provoke a locals only type feel, which I'm saying is a bad thing...I like the tournaments where the geographical mix is at its greatest.

Maybe work party attendance can buy you some sort of early entry...
    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

I think we need to split up the AM and PRO divisions. All the big tourneys of the year will have two weekends. An AM weekend and a PRO weekend.

I do like the work party attendance priority deal.

Comment

This year will be easy:

I think that next year this issue will need to be revisited.
        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Make each tournament hugeeee... Either 27 holes or 2 courses... Adding 9 to Whistler's would be super badazzz *can think of 4 holes, 5 could be added to my imagination.*

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            This year will be easy:

I think that next year this issue will need to be revisited.
            The "Qualifier" reg'ing early was a nice thought, BUT people reg'd any way AND nothing was done to correct it.

I "visited" the Pro/Am option ALL last year............

The MAIN issue with splitting weekends, from my "research" with the players, is the LOSS of the "Family" gathering. ALOT of PRO players travel with the AM players and like being able to do so.

IF the Series wants to GROW, it will need to happen. NOT all the events NEED to do this. BUT when there is only 1 course it sure would help.

AM sides would easily fill, Pro events would be "less stressed" and would most likely pull the top AMs as well. ONLY GNW & the Celebration are the events that COULD really benefit from this, being they are both played at 1 venue
            The cost increase would be minimal (Seperate Sanctioning & Insurance)
            AND Park fees where applicable (which could be significant in certain cases)

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
              Make each tournament hugeeee... Either 27 holes or 2 courses... Adding 9 to Whistler's would be super badazzz *can think of 4 holes, 5 could be added to my imagination.*
              Would YOU want to only play 2 rd's of 27 for an event?

There is NO WAY that 3 rd's of 27 per day could be played........

The 2 course option would be to play Riverfront, BUT when in , MOST want to play

Comment

Standardized registration times would be a form of regulation that would help. For example, if it was well advertised that signups for each tournamnent in a series would start exactly 3 months prior to the date.

I know a lot of players don't like to check the online forums (and some TDs, too), and that's really a shame. As things get tight, communication is key. The web is an awesome tool for this.

Early sign-ups for club members is a great idea.

Early sign-ups for qualifiers is a great idea, and could easlly be enforced. Might take a while for the Oregon Series infrastructure to get back up to full strength.

IMO - seperate weekends are not a good idea and should only be considered as a last resort. I love tournaments that have that big "Festival" or "Family Reunion" feel. Even tournies that have multiple flights on multiple courses lose this feel a little bit because you will likely go the entire weekend without seeing anyone except those that are in your flight.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                  I've played tourneys at Whistler's with as many as 30 holes, all good!
                  Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                  Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                  Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                  Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                  Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Didn't the GNO in 2004 have two 18's for 36 separate holes? I know we played through the day use area and along the river, both upstream and downstream, and all over the top of the world.

I also remember the 2 rounds of 27 holes in the 100 degree heat in August years ago. I think it was one of the Lighting Open's. Yose? That Saturday nearly dropped me dead on the final tee. After dinner I heard the call for doubles and could barely muster a laugh.

Comment

I was wondering if there were 2 18s, I think there were, it burned me out so much I can't remember, except all the fun!
                      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Well here is your warning for the Beaver State Fling.

We will announce the date that registration will open at least 4 days ahead of time via every forum that we know, through phone calls and emails and casual rounds of golf. Because we will be opening registration for both events on the same day we don't expect to be able to deal with series qualifiers from last year. We will be holding a certain number of entries for snail mail entrants but majority of sign ups will be taken through the PDGA online sign up. I am guessing the majority of mailed in forms will be actually handed in to either Jeff or I without the aid of the Post Office.
                        PDGA #25296
                        Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Roller Bob View Post
                          Didn't the GNO in 2004 have two 18's for 36 separate holes? I know we played through the day use area and along the river, both upstream and downstream, and all over the top of the world.
                          As I recall when Tom and the EDGC brought the GNO back to in 07they tried to get permission to set up a second 18 similar to the one that was used by Dave for the GNO in 04. However Douglas County Parks denied their request for using the temporary 18.

Comment

well now that riverfront has a full set of baskets you could run the gno at 2 courses... and unfortunetly that would mean ams 2 rounds of riverfront 1 round of whistlers, and pros vice versa.

This would really kind of mirror what we played at the Memorial. ams played fountain hills twice and shelly sharpe once.

I myself have recently played a 24 hole layout at Whistlers and it was awesome, but some of the holes used the lower campgrounds, which cannot happen if there are a ton of campers. Imagine this using the lower #14 teepad to shoot back up the hill, then the pro tee to shoot down... good stuff.

either way i agree that disc golf is exploding in this area, and there always seems to be someone that cannot get in to a tourney.
                            http://www.discgolforegon.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Pittman View Post
                              As I recall when Tom and the EDGC brought the GNO back to in 07they tried to get permission to set up a second 18 similar to the one that was used by Dave for the GNO in 04. However Douglas County Parks denied their request for using the temporary 18.
                              Question who was the TD for the 04 GNO( or was it the whistling disc open). I do not remember it was my 1st tournament and it was all one big kick ass blur. Nothing like a whistlers tournament in late summer. Was this the summer that you could see Saturn like it was a big ass star, anybody remember fair way of #18 and about 500 glow sticks what a trip!!!
                              Last edited by the flogging putter; March 17th, 2009, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X