X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    A lot of 888s. None of those people had the courtesy to tell the TD they were done early? Or that many people manipulating their rating?

Comment

Just because someone DNF'd doesn't mean they didn't inform the TD.

Comment

Scott,

If that were the case... those would (should) be 999s, and not 888s.

Jeff
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

That's right. I forgot there was a difference. I humbly admit my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by frasnow View Post
            A lot of 888s. None of those people had the courtesy to tell the TD they were done early? Or that many people manipulating their rating?
            It doesn't bother me that much but a curtious call would have been nice. I recieved no phone calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
              It doesn't bother me that much but a curtious call would have been nice. I recieved no phone calls.
              I think the new rule is basically - if you walk off or don't show up and make no effort to inform the TD it's an 888. Pretty sure that almost anyone's legit situation could be explained to the TD afterwards and the 888 changed to 999. There will probably be some kinks to work out with the new designation but I think it's a great idea. Once people start to see a negative effect on their rating maybe they will think twice about quitting or not being courteous enough to give the TD a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                Once people start to see a negative effect on their rating maybe they will think twice about quitting or not being courteous enough to give the TD a heads up.
                Do tell more. What is the rating consequence of quitting vs. withdrawing?

Comment

I had a great time at another fun, well run Calapooia Classic. If I could erase my last three holes and resulting poor attitude it would have been a perfect weekend.

Bryant Park is an excellent disc golf course that just needs some improved infrastructure and a few last small trees removed to make it one of the BEST in the PNW. That's my opinion, and opinions obviously vary greatly on Bryant Park. This course has come a long, long way through the work of just a few people over the last several years and it has gotten better every single year. It needs good teepads on all the holes, although the carpet has never bothered me functionally. And there are a few skinny trees that make a few fairways too lucky for good design, but those are slowly being removed.

I love Bryant because it has multiple Par 4s, it has open, moderate, and densely wooded holes. It has some elevation, and it is VERY challenging. Bryant can get in your head and some people will never enjoy it. To say that it "sucks", which I hear all the time, including from people who willingly signed up to play this weekends tournament is, from my perspective, really off base.

Thanks Disc Golf Club of Albany for another great tournament and for all the hard work to build this course!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
                    Do tell more. What is the rating consequence of quitting vs. withdrawing?
                    http://www.pdga.com/ratings-manipulation-addressed

"Beginning in the 2013 competitive season there will be a new result code, "888", that TDs will enter on the tournament report for the round score when players or the TD wish to report their consensus that a player clearly attempted to have their round dropped to protect their rating by either not completing a round or by padding their score with extra throws.

We realize that this in some cases may be a judgement call, but we also ask the TD and the group to make other important judgment calls in our rules. We also feel that the players on the card and the TD are in the best position of anyone to provide vigilance on these practices.

Pros who receive an 888 will get a 5 point rating deduction in the first ratings update after that event gets officially reported and that deduction will continue until the ratings update at least 6 months later. Ams will receive a rating deduction up to 5 points or to the extent it does not drop them into a lower division. This deduction will also continue for at least 6 months.

Although not directly related to ratings manipulation, the 888 code can also be applied to players who DNF without giving the TD sufficient notice they would not be showing up for the next round. "Sufficient notice" is defined as at least 15 minutes prior to tee off assignment time. Players who DNF without such notice will be reported as an 888 code by the TD.

The Statistics Committee will also be tracking DNFs, Tanking and 888 codes this coming season to determine if any further actions are necessary. The intention, of course, is not simply to punish such unsportsmanlike and unprofessional behavior, but rather to draw attention to it and eliminate it from our play. We believe that this goal can be achieved with cooperation of players and event staff. We also trust that this policy will remove the perceived rating benefit of not finishing a round or taking excessive throws. The penalty, while not a very serious or long lasting one, is intended to achieve that purpose.

Additionally, we expect these procedures to improve player behavior in regards to informing staff when they intend to not participate in a round of play. This behavior is unprofessional and organizationally disruptive, but is not currently addressed in the rules."

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                      http://www.pdga.com/ratings-manipulation-addressed

"Beginning in the 2013 competitive season there will be a new result code, "888", that TDs will enter on the tournament report for the round score when players or the TD wish to report their consensus that a player clearly attempted to have their round dropped to protect their rating by either not completing a round or by padding their score with extra throws.

Thanks Matt! I was unaware of this new PDGA policy.

Coincidentally, the only event I've ever DNF'ed was the Calapooia two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
                        Thanks Matt! I was unaware of this new PDGA policy.

Coincidentally, the only event I've ever DNF'ed was the Calapooia two years ago.

Funny, a few years ago it was the only tournament I almost DNS (did not start)....I slept in on Sunday and drove like hell but didn't get there until my group was playing their eighth hole. i ended up shooting well (I love that course) and actually managed not to finish last which was a feat in and of itself as I had that 28 shot handicap. Also a year before that I had my best ever tournament Sunday score(49).......ahhh, fond memories!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X