Pine Jam - June 1 & 2, 2013 - Sisters, OR Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by discVENTures View Post
    Yup, see ya at the crack of dawn
    http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/102027/95628053

    8AM Tee OFF tmrw

    Comment


    • #47
      Once again another awesome event! Love the basket changes, the lunches, and everything else. Can't wait until next year!

      Comment


      • #48
        I had a STUPID fun time meeting all of the "Middle Oregon" folks this weekend.


        THANKS for supporting www.DiscAddiction.com even if was just coming over to say HI and ask what in the world I was doing to discs

        I hope the winners of the long drive contest enjoyed their "prizes"!




        www.DiscAddiction.com - custom dyed discs

        www.WhidbeyIslandDiscGolf.com - club info

        Comment


        • #49
          Hey guys, met a lot of you either on the course or in the DiscAddiction tent, I've been writing a tournament blog as I go around the country this summer, making observations and working towards the end goal of making the sport better, FASTER. Take a peek if you'd like, I'd love some feedback from people that were there, both positive and negative. Keep in mind, not trying to start controversy, just trying to grow the game

          http://www.tumblr.com/blog/yammits
          www.DiscAddiction.com - Apparel, Custom Discs, and more
          www.WhidbeyIslandDiscGolf.com - club details

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Yammits View Post
            Hey guys, met a lot of you either on the course or in the DiscAddiction tent, I've been writing a tournament blog as I go around the country this summer, making observations and working towards the end goal of making the sport better, FASTER. Take a peek if you'd like, I'd love some feedback from people that were there, both positive and negative.

            http://www.tumblr.com/blog/yammits
            So you've got to be a tumblr member to view? I hope not...

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
              So you've got to be a tumblr member to view? I hope not...
              Nope not at all
              www.DiscAddiction.com - Apparel, Custom Discs, and more
              www.WhidbeyIslandDiscGolf.com - club details

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Yammits View Post
                Nope not at all
                Your link is asking for you too sign in to Tumblr.
                I can't see it.

                Comment


                • #53
                  same here
                  Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                  Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                  Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                  Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                  Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    http://yammits.tumblr.com/ sorry guys thats a better link my bad
                    www.DiscAddiction.com - Apparel, Custom Discs, and more
                    www.WhidbeyIslandDiscGolf.com - club details

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Yammits View Post
                      http://yammits.tumblr.com/ sorry guys thats a better link my bad
                      Good read. Like I said always enjoy reading others thoughts and opinions.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Yammits View Post
                        http://yammits.tumblr.com/ sorry guys thats a better link my bad
                        Thanks for sharing Yammits. A bit of a buzz kill.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Firstly, SCRIP, SCRIP, SCRIP, SCRIP, SCRIP. A script is a written version of a play or movie, etc. Scrip is a substitute for cash, a chit, a piece of paper with an assigned monetary value. Common misuse, nothing personal it just bugs me when I see it.

                          Secondly, did you ask Ryan where the added cash to the Pro divisions came from? I have no idea myself where it came from.

                          Thirdly, sounds like you should move up to Advanced, congrats on your win.

                          Finally, I love Ryan's tournaments and appreciate the work and thought he puts into them. It's a different model from the "big AM payouts" model as far as I can tell from the outside. We all get lunch, snacks, coffee both days. AMs get a standard players pack. Results were up within an hour or two after each round which is superlative.

                          I appreciate your willingness to offer criticism and stand behind it. There are many different models that TDs follow, and some players will always have problems with different models. As you pointed out, this tournament was within all PDGA guidelines, ran like a well oiled machine, and offered a great experience.

                          Personally, I'd like to see long time TDs get compensated and compensated well for their work on these events, and I'm not just saying that because I will be co-TD for a PDGA event this year (nor will I be taking any compensation). I think it's time for players, especially AM players to stop expecting more than a great experience and a disc for their entry fee.

                          That's just my opinion, thanks for sharing yours.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                            Firstly, SCRIP, SCRIP, SCRIP, SCRIP, SCRIP. A script is a written version of a play or movie, etc. Scrip is a substitute for cash, a chit, a piece of paper with an assigned monetary value. Common misuse, nothing personal it just bugs me when I see it.

                            Secondly, did you ask Ryan where the added cash to the Pro divisions came from? I have no idea myself where it came from.

                            Thirdly, sounds like you should move up to Advanced, congrats on your win.

                            Finally, I love Ryan's tournaments and appreciate the work and thought he puts into them. It's a different model from the "big AM payouts" model as far as I can tell from the outside. We all get lunch, snacks, coffee both days. AMs get a standard players pack. Results were up within an hour or two after each round which is superlative.

                            I appreciate your willingness to offer criticism and stand behind it. There are many different models that TDs follow, and some players will always have problems with different models. As you pointed out, this tournament was within all PDGA guidelines, ran like a well oiled machine, and offered a great experience.

                            Personally, I'd like to see long time TDs get compensated and compensated well for their work on these events, and I'm not just saying that because I will be co-TD for a PDGA event this year (nor will I be taking any compensation). I think it's time for players, especially AM players to stop expecting more than a great experience and a disc for their entry fee.

                            That's just my opinion, thanks for sharing yours.
                            Well said. I knew there would be differing opinions as always and I enjoy hearing rebuttals. I'm not knocking Ryan. On the whole he was an extraordinary TD, and the point about quick ratings accessible on the PDGA website is another fine example of that. Gretchen did a fine job helping things run smoothly as well. AM players dont expect anything except whats fair. In the case of the Pine Jam the payout structure seemed the converse of that. Good points though, I like it.
                            www.DiscAddiction.com - Apparel, Custom Discs, and more
                            www.WhidbeyIslandDiscGolf.com - club details

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Yammits View Post
                              http://yammits.tumblr.com/ sorry guys thats a better link my bad
                              Yammits, your blog is erroneous and disdainful. Your payout calculations are wrong. Perhaps you failed to consider course and venue rental fees, insurance, trophy cost, printing, supplies, trash, etc.? You also failed to mention that scrip was redeemed through a partnership with Huklab which reduced the value paid, but helped to increase the variety and quality of products offered for the players or that we were redeeming $10 scrip vouchers for $20 discs. You didn't notice that we sponsored less fortunate player's entry fees, awarded non-cashing ams with additional schwag, or that we allocated one dollar from each entry to a course improvement fund. We even priced our fundraiser discs (GLO ROC3's) far below retail value as a benefit to the players in attendance.

                              We never claimed that the event offered an exorbitant payout. It was sanctioned as a C-Tier. The real factor that limited payout was a lack of sponsorship in the form of added cash. The community of Sisters has already contributed heavily to the initial course installation and the community center, so instead of begging them for contributions, we partner with them in order to encourage our players to give back. We had plenty of prizes to award for side games and other feats that merited recognition.

                              Thanks discaddiction for donating two discs to the event in exchange for advertising and the benefit of selling 43 discs to the tournament players. I'm sure the next generation of disc golfers will appreciate your thoughtful comments and the dregs from the load of toxic rit dye and acetone that your wife dumped all over our course. Next time, take your concerns to the TD in private or keep your slanderous thoughts to yourself...
                              Last edited by discVENTures; June 6th, 2013, 12:26 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by discVENTures View Post

                                Thanks discaddiction for donating two discs to the event in exchange for advertising and the benefit of selling 43 discs to the tournament players. I'm sure the next generation of disc golfers will appreciate your thoughtful comments and the dregs from the load of toxic rit dye and acetone that your wife dumped all over our course. Next time, take your concerns to the TD in private or keep your slanderous thoughts to yourself...
                                I won't speak to the rest of the comments, because The Blog is Tim's project, but I will address the above issues since they were in my direction.

                                First, I'm not upset, I understand not everyone has dyed discs and I know Ryan is one of those people. I just don't want anyone to misunderstand how the process is done.

                                1) ZERO acetone is or was spilled, a small about of acetone is placed on a paper towel to "remove the factory stamp" and then that paper towel was placed in a trash bag.

                                2) I recycle all of my rit dye (it's too difficult to find the type that actually dyes plastic now to be wasteful)

                                3) the only thing that was "dumped" was the bucket of water I used to wash the disc off. Yes, there is a small about of residue from the disc dye that is in the water, but it's heavily diluted with water obviously- this is just done to end the dyeing process. This bucket was "dumped" in a bush and like I said it's mostly water.

                                4) I'd love to have done 43 discs for people, but that's actually physically impossible for me (just time wise) but I was thrilled to have done 21 designs for the players at the tourney.

                                I'll leave the rest for others to debate.
                                www.DiscAddiction.com - custom dyed discs

                                www.WhidbeyIslandDiscGolf.com - club info

                                Comment

                                Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X