2013 Rose City Open presented by Huk Lab - May 25th/26th - Pier Park! Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bruce View Post
    Going to show up bright and early and hope I get in! If not it's caddy duty for the day.
    Did you just volunteer to caddy for me? Lol
    Brody Cannon
    PDGA #34008

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCannon View Post
      Did you just volunteer to caddy for me? Lol
      Nope. He'd rather pull my cart around the course instead...

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
      Remain ye men of faculty complete,
      Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
      Attending to our noble bond and contract?
      Or does here stand the last remaining man
      To give a fig for rules and order yet,
      No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
      Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
      Ill not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce View Post
        Going to show up bright and early and hope I get in! If not it's caddy duty for the day.
        You and me both.
        "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

• Can I get a and a for Dan brown for all he's done

Ps 9 hours 35 min
          Last edited by NAVA50383; May 24th, 2013, 10:26 PM. Reason: Wrong word

Comment

• Big ups to Dan Brown! Got my sweet player pack yesterday, ready to crush today!
            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

• The only thing I did well today - the avatar...and I will do much better tomorrow...

Comment

• What happens if in a division there are 10 players tied for 7th place? How do you place them in order on the scoreboard? If you do it by last name alphabetical order then that means Dan Zents and David Zimmerman are always in last place amongst the players they are tied with. This means they are playing 3 cards below Denny Axmacher.

I asked Dave Feldberg about this to see what he would say and he said in that instance, the order of the players that are tied should always be a random shuffle of the players that are tied. If you do alphabetical order or pdga number then the same players get punished every event for having their last name begin with a Z.

Is there an official PDGA guideline for this? Anybody know?
                Steve
                http://www.BullseyeDiscGolf.com

Comment

• The rule is any consistently applied method. Completely up to the td, as long as they use that method throughout the whole field.
                  Team DISCRAFT
                  NW Sign Up
                  Gorilla Boy
                  Paragon Disc Golf
                  Odwalla

Comment

• Thanks for clarifying that Dion! I did not know TD's had so much freedom with the scoreboard!
                    Steve

Comment

• Why not use theirs scores from the previous round?
                      The hotter players gets rewarded somewhat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mcw5378 View Post
                        Why not use theirs scores from the previous round?
                        The hotter players gets rewarded somewhat.
                        Yes but that wouldn't work for round 1. I believe that's how they list the players for the final event totals. But if tied players receive the same cash then it's a mute point if you tied for 9th, it doesn't matter if your listed on the 3rd card or the 5th card on the scoreboard at that point.

The object of the game of golf is to move up the scoreboard not down. The flip side to this is that a player may prefer the 2nd card for round 2 because it could be more relaxed where the lead card may have a tense rivalry and more uptight players fighting for 1st place.

Nevertheless, in a big event like BSF with big divisions, there is likely to be up to 12 or more players tied on any given round. There is a widely held belief system that you play better golf while playing with better players. The better players are usually higher up the scoreboard after each consecutive round. So if you are playing at the bottom of a 12 or more player tie, because of your last name letter, then essentially you've been penalized for the starting letter of your last name and not your score.

The flip side of this is that golf is a mental game. Each players cup is either half full or half empty depending on how you look at it so for some players this may be a non issue but for many it could be a big deal. I think with the mental game of golf, when a player looks at the scoreboard and you're tied with 13 players and the player with letter A is on the 3rd card and your last name starts with Z and you're playing your next round on the 6th or 7th card, psychologically even though you're tied with the guy on the 3rd card, it looks as though you're not really doing so well.

At PDGA Worlds the divisions are so large they often divide them into pools. A pool and B pool. What if you were in the middle and you got cut into B pool because of the 1st letter of your last name and your pool had to play the toughest course in the rain while the A pool got to play it in the sun?
                        Last edited by Bullseye Disc Golf.com; May 25th, 2013, 09:40 PM.
                        Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Bullseye Disc Golf.com View Post
                          Yes but that wouldn't work for round 1.
                          True.
                          Was thinking more of for the final round.

Any chance scores from Sat are posted somewhere?
                          Hoping to make it up Sunday to watch the finals.

Comment

• I just ran this tied scoring thing by my friend Jeff Browning who is not playing RCO this year. He brought up an interesting point. He said ranking players on a scoreboard by alphabet is totally unrelated to the play and the score of the player. That is what is essentially wrong with the alphabet system. It defeats the purpose of having a scoreboard in the first place and ranking players in order of their performance.

His idea was that if ranking players on a scoreboard is supposed to reflect a players play, then tied players should be ranked on the final holes on the last card. This would be just like how we decide the order within any given group. So the players with the best scores on the final holes of the previous round would be placed higher up in order. If 1 player tied with 12 players finished their previous round with a triple bogey on the final hole, then they are last amongst the tied players. This makes a little more sense but it's more work for the scoring staff. It does however force the order of the next round to be dictated by the players performance rather than the 1st letter of their last name.

I'm pretty sure this is how they do it in the NBA. If 2 teams finish the regular season with the same winning / losing record, the team that won their last few games would advance over the team that lost their final regular season games. Doesn't that make it performance based? Could you imagine if it were alphabetical? Say the Blazers were tied with the Warriors for regular season wins in the Western Conference, but the Blazers move up a rank because their team name starts with the letter B and the Warriors start with the letter W?

If I were the scoring person it would drive me nuts but I've never been good with numbers! If the entire card were entered into Excell this would be all automated.

So Mcw5378 was actually correct in suggesting that the group order even after round 1 could still be determined by the players play from the previous round!
                            Last edited by Bullseye Disc Golf.com; May 25th, 2013, 10:55 PM.
                            Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Bullseye Disc Golf.com View Post
                              I just ran this tied scoring thing by my friend Jeff Browning who is not playing RCO this year. He brought up an interesting point. He said ranking players on a scoreboard by alphabet is totally unrelated to the play and the score of the player. That is what is essentially wrong with the alphabet system. It defeats the purpose of having a scoreboard in the first place and ranking players in order of their performance.

His idea was that if ranking players on a scoreboard is supposed to reflect a players play, then tied players should be ranked on the final holes on the last card. This would be just like how we decide the order within any given group. So the players with the best scores on the final holes of the previous round would be placed higher up in order. If 1 player tied with 12 players finished their previous round with a triple bogey on the final hole, then they are last amongst the tied players. This makes a little more sense but it's more work for the scoring staff. It does however force the order of the next round to be dictated by the players performance rather than the 1st letter of their last name.

I'm pretty sure this is how they do it in the NBA. If 2 teams finish the regular season with the same winning / losing record, the team that won their last few games would advance over the team that lost their final regular season games. Doesn't that make it performance based? Could you imagine if it were alphabetical? Say the Blazers were tied with the Warriors for regular season wins in the Western Conference, but the Blazers move up a rank because their team name starts with the letter B and the Warriors start with the letter W?

If I were the scoring person it would drive me nuts but I've never been good with numbers! If the entire card were entered into Excell this would be all automated.
                              I think you are way off base on this. It comes down to wins heads up and then division wins etc etc. Has nothing to do with who wins first or last.
                              http://www.nba.com/news/features/pla...ers/index.html

If you don't like the way the TD at your favorite events breaks ties then run your own event and do it your way. Were you hoping for an open discussion on this or are you trying to convince people your way is better? Perhaps you were just venting but it feels like you are coming at this thing from a passive aggressive point of view. There is no democracy in these types of decisions.

If this is the biggest issue you have with competitive disc golf play then you are probably wound a little too tight. Everyone should be ready to play every round and play their best regardless of others in their group. Ties are inevitable and should not ruin your event regardless of how they are broken.
                              PDGA #25296
                              Stumptown #34

Comment

• Hey can anyone give me a rough idea when the MPO final round will tee off Sunday?
                                Going to try to head up from Salem today to watch.
                                Thanks in advance.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X