Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slosh #4 basically exclusive to Stumptown members??

I think all people who aren't Stumptown Members, or friends of Stumptown members want to understand this...Seems like the first really EXCLUSIVE tournament in Oregon that doesn't require a qualifier?? Jeff...I support everything you do, but this kinda seems artificially esoteric doesn't it? Imagine this post..."Lava Launch is open for pre-registration to all Rebels members who built the mountain and built all of Central Oregon Disc Golf...if you are not a Rebel member and don't find a spot in the tourney, because Rebel members definitely WILL fill this event, then sorry for your bad luck. Thanks to all the Rebels for supporting Rebels disc golf."

I'd like you to explain this methodology a little better than your email.

Message from Jeff Hagerty for those interested in Slosh #4 at Blue Lake:

Attention Stumptown members!!!

This evening I will be sending out an email with a link and a password where you can pre-register for the 2012-2013 Stumptown Slosh Finale at Blue Lake Park. Every current Stumptown member who supplied an email address should be receiving this email. If you do not receive the email please check your spam filter.

Priority registration for current Stumptown members will remain open for one week, after which I will open registration to the general public (If any spots remain).
    Last edited by OneDarkRebel; February 8th, 2013, 08:56 PM.
    Victorious warriors win first then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

here is the answer you seek
    Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
    Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darr View Post
      Still don't like the idea or the precedent that it sets for the future of welcoming ALL into Oregon disc golf events.
      Victorious warriors win first then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

Comment

Marcus what is your issue exactly? Are you upset that there is an event in Oregon that is initially exclusive to select people or that those individuals took the opportunity to capitalize on there fortune? There are several events that clubs around Oregon have thrown for clubs members only by the way.

Quoted from the Rebels Website:
        Membership is on an annual basis and the yearly renewal dues are $10. Initial member dues are $20. Couple/Family memberships are $30 for two. All members receive a custom stamped golf disc, bag tag, and member privileges including; discounts on an assortment of club plastic, discount entry into club events, and discounts on annual PDGA membership. Current member list.
        Instead of asking non-members to pay an extra fee to play in the series we ask them to help us in promoting the sport in the greater Portland area by joining us. Consider the SLOSH series as our membership drive and the Blue Lake event as our final push and reward for the membership.
        PDGA #25296
        Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
          Marcus what is your issue exactly? Are you upset that there is an event in Oregon that is initially exclusive to select people or that those individuals took the opportunity to capitalize on there fortune? There are several events that clubs around Oregon have thrown for clubs members only by the way.

Quoted from the Rebels Website:
          Membership is on an annual basis and the yearly renewal dues are $10. Initial member dues are $20. Couple/Family memberships are $30 for two. All members receive a custom stamped golf disc, bag tag, and member privileges including; discounts on an assortment of club plastic, discount entry into club events, and discounts on annual PDGA membership. Current member list.
          Instead of asking non-members to pay an extra fee to play in the series we ask them to help us in promoting the sport in the greater Portland area by joining us. Consider the SLOSH series as our membership drive and the Blue Lake event as our final push and reward for the membership.
          I understand ALL of your BIAS. However, no one has ever been preemptively excluded from any Rebel events, AND...IN FACT...ALL are welcomed with open arms and you know that...ALL from all over the World are even welcome to fill ALL of the Central Oregon tourneys to the newest Central Oregon courses that the Rebels have built. This would probably make our local tourney director happier than ANY of us Rebels. My "issue", which I don't need a tissue for, is that the event isn't open to everyone fair and square...lottery system I get...this I don't. Very simple. AND, I feel like this is a crazy attack on my opinion. WOW. BTW, Slosh #4 is a "PDGA sanctioned event", not a "Club Event"...since you're splitting hairs.

Comment

This is such a non-issue. Stumptown built the course so for the first tourney there they decided to open it to members first as a thank you and benefit of membership. Announced months in advance. Great idea, I think. Made me become a member, which I should have done long ago.

Is someone stopping other groups or clubs from running a tournament at Blue Lake? Is this going to be the precedent for all Stumptown tourneys at Blue Lake or elsewhere? Is this really that big of a deal? Pretty sure the answer to all that is no.

Why do people feel like they should tell clubs how to run their events? Not just in this case, but seems like a chronic thing in disc golf. Nothing unfair about a club offering members a benefit. And everyone had plenty of time to put up $10 to join the club.

Comment

Originally posted by OneDarkRebel View Post
              I understand ALL of your BIAS. However, no one has ever been preemptively excluded from any Rebel events, AND...IN FACT...ALL are welcomed with open arms and you know that...ALL from all over the World are even welcome to fill ALL of the Central Oregon tourneys to the newest Central Oregon courses that the Rebels have built. This would probably make our local tourney director happier than ANY of us Rebels. My "issue", which I don't need a tissue for, is that the event isn't open to everyone fair and square...lottery system I get...this I don't. Very simple. AND, I feel like this is a crazy attack on my opinion. WOW.
              Marcus,

It was obvious to us that this would be a very popular event and I can definitely understand why people might be bummed the event filled quickly, but I think what we have planned for this event is perfectly fair. Not only that, but we posted our exact plan for this Blue Lake event way back on November 1st. You can check it out HERE. Its in italics.

Not only has this entire series been run by Stumptown volunteers for years, but those same members also played a big part in getting Blue Lake installed. Are we not allowed to show our thanks to the very people who helped make this happen without you dragging us across the coals? I honestly can't see why you would have a problem with our giving our members this small reward for their support over the years... particularly since it is a club run event... run by club volunteers... at a course the club helped install in the first place.

You talk about setting a precedent, but these circumstances are considerably different than most tournaments. As Flash pointed out we've never charged non-members extra to play the events we run, and we have always tried to be a very welcoming club. I think its pretty damned disappointing that when we do try to do something for our members we get called out as the bad guys. What are we allowed to do for our members?

Jeff Hagerty
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                This is such a non-issue. Stumptown built the course so for the first tourney there they decided to open it to members first as a thank you and benefit of membership. Announced months in advance. Great idea, I think. Made me become a member, which I should have done long ago.

Is someone stopping other groups or clubs from running a tournament at Blue Lake? Is this going to be the precedent for all Stumptown tourneys at Blue Lake or elsewhere? Is this really that big of a deal? Pretty sure the answer to all that is no.

Why do people feel like they should tell clubs how to run their events? Not just in this case, but seems like a chronic thing in disc golf. Nothing unfair about a club offering members a benefit. And everyone had plenty of time to put up $10 to join the club.
                I agree, an non-issue, except that it's weird that I'm getting jabbed for a simple opinion asking for explaination. Like you said, there are a lot of people who joined Stumptown, including you, just to get exception into that tourney played at Blue Lake...which did cost $10. So, as I understand correctly (since Flash is bashing the Rebels event discount), this Slosh #4 PDGA Sanctioned Event does cost an extra $10 per person, via a Stumptown membership, to get in. AND, at what point did I tell anyone how to run any event? I voiced an opinion...last I checked that was legal? In Bend, OR, regarding disc golf...anyway.

Comment

I agree, an non-issue, except that it's weird that I'm getting jabbed for a simple opinion asking for explaination. Like you said, there are a lot of people who joined Stumptown, including you, just to get exception into that tourney played at Blue Lake...which did cost $10. So, as I understand correctly (since Flash is bashing the Rebels event discount), this Slosh #4 PDGA Sanctioned Event does cost an extra $10 per person, via a Stumptown membership, to get in. AND, at what point did I tell anyone how to run any event? I voiced an opinion...last I checked that was legal? In Bend, OR, regarding disc golf...anyway.
                  Well you've got a lot of contradictions, things I didn't actually say and straw men all jammed into one paragraph. I don't particularly feel like parsing it all out. Am I to now ask you if MY opinion is illegal? (Whatever that means)

For the record I was not at all sure I could play this tournament when I joined, it was a possible bonus. I joined when I did because it was super easy to do online and because I play a lot of Stumptown events at Stumptown supported courses and I think it's a great club doing great things. Sorry if you're offended.

Comment

Peace. Marcus said his piece, as he has every right. I've tried to explain why we made the choices we made and hopefully he, and everyone else who might share his concerns, can see that our intentions have always been good. If not, well... I'm sorry. We're just doing the best we can.
                    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                      Marcus,

It was obvious to us that this would be a very popular event and I can definitely understand why people might be bummed the event filled quickly, but I think what we have planned for this event is perfectly fair. Not only that, but we posted our exact plan for this Blue Lake event way back on November 1st. You can check it out HERE. Its in italics.

Not only has this entire series been run by Stumptown volunteers for years, but those same members also played a big part in getting Blue Lake installed. Are we not allowed to show our thanks to the very people who helped make this happen without you dragging us across the coals? I honestly can't see why you would have a problem with our giving our members this small reward for their support over the years... particularly since it is a club run event... run by club volunteers... at a course the club helped install in the first place.

You talk about setting a precedent, but these circumstances are considerably different than most tournaments. As Flash pointed out we've never charged non-members extra to play the events we run, and we have always tried to be a very welcoming club. I think its pretty damned disappointing that when we do try to do something for our members we get called out as the bad guys. What are we allowed to do for our members?

Jeff Hagerty
                      I think you all need to defer to my post that I wouldn't have been playing this event anyway, I just don't like the way this PDGA Sanctioned Event is being played out with the entry system into the tourney, nothing to do with me at all. And I don't see how, other than BSF, that this tourney is different from any other. Who has run the series for years or volunteered is arbitrary to the conversation. Your "Club" people are welcome to come to Central Oregon at any time to play the courses that some of you covet, that we install...we don't want pats on the back. I'm being attacked and defending my opinion over your tourney and your course. Keep both if this is the way your guys attack people over a question which is how this started...a simple polite question. You are not a whipping boy, don't act like it. You know I respect you more than that.

Comment

I think you all need to defer to my post that I wouldn't have been playing this event anyway, I just don't like the way this PDGA Sanctioned Event is being played out with the entry system into the tourney, nothing to do with me at all. And I don't see how, other than BSF, that this tourney is different from any other. Who has run the series for years or volunteered is arbitrary to the conversation. Your "Club" people are welcome to come to Central Oregon at any time to play the courses that some of you covet, that we install...we don't want pats on the back. I'm being attacked and defending my opinion over your tourney and your course. Keep both if this is the way your guys attack people over a question which is how this started...a simple polite question. You are not a whipping boy, don't act like it. You know I respect you more than that.
                        Geez Marcus, I apologize if you feel I'm one of the people "attacking" you. Opinions are opinions, I don't feel like you are attacking me when you don't agree with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                          Geez Marcus, I apologize if you feel I'm one of the people "attacking" you. Opinions are opinions, I don't feel like you are attacking me when you don't agree with mine.
                          Peace. Stumptowners.

Comment

Peace. Stumptowners.
                            I might come back North. Maybe.

Comment

...a simple polite question.
                              To me, your polite comments were in the other thread. This one reads like an attack and you sarcastically stated words to the effect "How would you like it if WE did THIS!" That's pretty passive aggressive right there and a good way to provoke the responses that you got.

Regardless, as I stated in the other thread, hearing these differing opinions are good for us all. Thanks for stating your views and I am sure that we will consider this the next time we set up the Slosh series.

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                              Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                              Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                              Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                              Or does here stand the last remaining man
                              To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                              No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                              Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                              Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X