Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Pole design

Hey Ol' Bob.
    There really isn't a better sound than hitting the tone pole there in your field below the house. it's ringing was so pure and deep.
    I'm wondering if you can describe the plans that were used to create that to us here on the forum. I have hopes of recreating it or something similar.
    I'm not able to travel and inspect it myself at this time, so as much detail and/or pictures you can share with us, the better.
    Thanks!

Well, it was a big old oxygen bottle that I cut the bottom out of. If I'd known how thick the bottom was, I'd have cut about a quarter inch higher up. As it was, I was grinding into the solid steel of the bottom which was nearly an inch thick. To cut the tank, I used my 14 inch Milwaukee abrasive cut-off saw and a 4.5 inch angle grinder with .45 cut-off wheels. At the top, I removed the valve and welded in its place an old trailer hitch ball that I'd drilled a conical depression into the bottom of the bolt end with a half inch countersink bit. The pole was a three inch diameter steel tube full of concrete with a few inches of re-bar set in the top. The re-bar was sharpened to a needle point. I lifted the bottle with the tractor bucket and set it softly onto the point. I can't imagine the pounds per square inch on that point. That tone pole is an E-flat. I wish I had more gas bottles.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

hay bob can you post a pic

Comment

I'll try to get to that pic eventually.

Comment

BTW, I've heard aluminum alloy gas bottle bells and they sounded really good too. Diving tanks and CO2 bottles should work well. I believe acetylene bottles have weird structure inside and some kind of internal elements. Probably best to leave those alone.

Comment

Hey Bob. I was inspired by your design and I set off on a little adventure to recreate it. Here's how I ended up:

READ POST HERE.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
            Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X