X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ska-MOK'-a-WAY' Skamokawa Club Mud

Located near Cathlamet (Cath-LAM'-met), in Wahkiakum (Wah-KI'-a-kum) County, WA, in the hills near Skamokawa is the site of the first disc golf course in Southwest Washington State. From humble beginnings, but with natural gifts of diverse forests, meadows, and a richly varying topography, the course at Lucky Mud Farm has become a gem for our sport.

Designed by two experienced disc golfers with unique qualifications, the course has been called, "the best in the state," by Cliff Towne, editor of the PDGA Course Directory. A collaboration of Lowell Shields, and Adam Fletcher, gave this course its beginnings six years ago.

Adam grew up playing on this land and I've known him all his life. Now the Club Mud Course Keeper, I often had the young Adam and his brother in my care every Friday and Saturday night while his parents earned their living playing music. I own a portion of the acreage on which the course is placed. When the course began, I removed the barbed wire fences from our subsistence farming days.

Adam, always athletic, took a job at a local park and later gained a degree in recreation. He settled north to work in his field in Bothel, WA. Terrace Creek became his home course where he met Lowell Shields, nine-times Washington State Champion, arborist, and course designer. Adam invited Lowell here to show him what Adam knew was potentially perfection for locating a course.

Though my disc golf experience was from the firsbees and telephone poles days, I didn't hesitate when asked if the course could occupy part of my land. I got a mower for my tractor and fairways began to be carved out of the long fallow pastures. The dirt tee pads, tire baskets, and lots of weeds to hide discs were what was to improve every year. At any given point in the process, it's seemed like slow progress, but just six years in, the results have been to me, astounding. Adam and (on edit) his wife, Sara, have worked out fairways through the mature second growth of fir, cedar, spruce, hemlock, alder, understory shrubs, and ferns. The touch has been light and the result is a forest terrain that is welcoming to human and elk, alike. Only four trees have ever been cut to open fairways.

The grounds are populated with dozens of does and fawns in the daytime and a herd of elk at night. For this reason, the entire area is posted "no hunting" and the course has been designated as a "wildlife sanctuary" and "dog free." Sorry, leave Fido at home or expect to leave him in your car.

The somewhat remoteness of our course makes crowding non-existent. The great B&B, The Inn at Lucky Mud, (www.luckymud.com) makes the golfing getaway the way to go. But even if all you can do is the day trip, the golfing is top flight. If I'm available (and I usually am), I'm happy to guide (if'n I can huk too). I do this service for the golf and the attaboys. The best course in the state will keep getting better so long as I can still keep after it (good Lord willin' and the tractor don't break).

Adam's parents, the innkeepers, prefer anyone coming here to call first and let them know you're coming (360-795-8770). The golfing is free, but if you want to help us in providing this course, there is a tip jar to buy diesel fuel and baskets. We are at 23 holes, hoping for 27.
    Last edited by Ol' Bob; August 20th, 2010, 06:29 PM.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Well writen, sir! I thought that Adam and Sara were married, though...
      TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Well, I think it just happened again. That mean woman next door got to a Kalama guy on his way here, just 80 feet short of the sixth green, and sent him off with the wrong directions.

Listen people, just keep driving up that road beside the creek until you see the sign for The Inn at Lucky Mud. Then go to the top of the hill where the big gray house is.

That woman on the road at the bottom of the hill is, in the opinion of many, a crazy, loveless, mean-spirited, horrible person, who wants nothing more than to make life hard for us and any of our guests. She has shown herself incapable of uttering the truth, unless it is to augment a lie. Do not engage the crazy woman at the bottom of the driveway in any way. Ignore her and pass her by. You may find her on the road on foot, or on a green tractor -- POISON!!! -- Stay away from her! If you engage her, it will just come back on us. Trust me on that. If the driveway doesn't have the Inn At Lucky Mud's sign, it's not the right driveway, do not turn up the wrong one. She is under court order to not interfere with our guests, but if you talk to her or go on her land, then it will be difficult for us to protect you.

It's been close to two hours since I saw a white car pull into her yard and heard her squeaky black dog doing its version of barking and her yelling at the driver. He drove out and obviously went on her wild goose chase. I hope he gets back, but he probably gave up and went to Skyline.

On edit: the guy from Kalama never made it. I hope we can find out what she told him.
        Last edited by Ol' Bob; February 16th, 2010, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
          Well, I think it just happened again. That mean woman next door got to a Kalama guy on his way here, just 80 feet short of the sixth green, and sent him off with the wrong directions.

Listen people, just keep driving up that road beside the creek until you see the sign for The Inn at Lucky Mud. Then go to the top of the hill where the big gray house is.

That woman on the road at the bottom of the hill is, in the opinion of many, a crazy, loveless, mean-spirited, horrible person, who wants nothing more than to make life hard for us and any of our guests. She has shown herself incapable of uttering the truth, unless it is to augment a lie. Do not engage the crazy woman at the bottom of the driveway in any way. Ignore her and pass her by. You may find her on the road on foot, or on a green tractor -- POISON!!! -- Stay away from her! If you engage her, it will just come back on us. Trust me on that. If the driveway doesn't have the Inn At Lucky Mud's sign, it's not the right driveway, do not turn up the wrong one. She is under court order to not interfere with our guests, but if you talk to her or go on her land, then it will be difficult for us to protect you.

It's been close to two hours since I saw a white car pull into her yard and heard her squeaky black dog doing its version of barking and her yelling at the driver. He drove out and obviously went on her wild goose chase. I hope he gets back, but he probably gave up and went to Skyline.

On edit: the guy from Kalama never made it. I hope we can find out what she told him.

Wow. I wonder if she is OK with such a public personal attack. I guess a personal attack is OK if she never sees it. If.
          Last edited by Wes Hansen; November 6th, 2010, 10:48 PM. Reason: Felt like it.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
          Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X