X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole one's teepad should be moved

First of all, thanks to those responsible for another great new disc course. Because of it's location it will probably see plenty of play. Well done.

Overall the course is functionally laid out but hole one's teepad is a hazard because of the proximity to trees. I have the mangled knuckles, and the tree to the right of the tee has a little less bark, as evidence of this.

That made the coolest sound. I thought it was a disc hitting the tree. Ouch.

On a similar note, I think the pad for hole 7 should be moved back a few feet for the same reason. Being a lefty, I have to halt my throw early, for fear I will smack my hand on the tree when I follow through. I'd like to blame someone else for the placement, but I was part of the group that put the teepad there. Good work, Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
      On a similar note, I think the pad for hole 7 should be moved back a few feet for the same reason. Being a lefty, I have to halt my throw early, for fear I will smack my hand on the tree when I follow through. I'd like to blame someone else for the placement, but I was part of the group that put the teepad there. Good work, Dan.
      I suggested the same thing on the day of the first work party, and Steve said he'd move it back three feet or so... guess it slipped through the cracks.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I've played there as much as anyone and I've never experienced the joy of smacking my knuckles on the tree on hole one. Anyone else had a problem there or is it just Eric?

On a similar note, not being a lefty I don't have a problem with 7. I have played with lefties and they haven't complained. Any lefties want to speak up?

Comment

I have never been close to smacking my knuckles on #1 tee pad. It seems to me that there is plenty of room to swing away if you throw from the front left portion of the pad.

Hole 7 is another story. I have come close to smacking my hand a few times when playing in wet weather......but I still like the layout of the hole.

Comment

If there is even the most remote chance that one could hit their hand, whether lefty or righty, forehand or backhand, and no matter from where on the pad, the tee should be modified. In this case, an injury has already occurred, multiplying the urgency exponentially. Thankfully, these tees are nothing more than a buried 2x4, and are therefore easy to move.
            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wog View Post
              I've played there as much as anyone and I've never experienced the joy of smacking my knuckles on the tree on hole one. Anyone else had a problem there or is it just Eric?
              I've seen one other guy do it. Obviously after the one time I haven't done it again, but it is still a cramped place to tee off.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Olson View Post
                I've seen one other guy do it. Obviously after the one time I haven't done it again, but it is still a cramped place to tee off.
                Eric,
                Can you please describe the circumstance of how you hit your hand. I am having a tough time visualizing how someone would/could do this.....with out doing it on purpose.

JP

Comment

I can totally see doing it following through. I have thought about it when I throw from there. Same with 7 throwing a forehand.

Neither takes away from my enjoyment of this new course and I have found myself going there rather than other local courses, lately.
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Yep. Like Sam said, it was on the follow through. It's been a while since I've been there, so I don't remember exactly where the offending tree is.

I think I remember pretty well where the tree is on 7, though (and I think it must be close to a mirror image on hole 1). The tree is just to the left, and maybe (?) a little bit forward of the left end of the tee marker (the 2x4 in the ground). Throwing lefty backhand, I can't follow through normally, because I know the tree is right about where my hand will end up after it swings around.

Comment

I think I remember pretty well where the tree is on 7, though (and I think it must be close to a mirror image on hole 1).
                      We want to equally offend righties and lefties!

All we really need to do is move the 2x4 board back a couple feet on both holes. We could probably even do that next weekend at the work party.

Comment

I was out there today and specifically looked at both holes.

It seems you would have to have one hell of a follow through to be bothered on hole 1.

I throw forehand on seven and didn't notice a problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          I throw forehand on seven and didn't notice a problem at all.
                          Scott, I assume you are right handed? That wouldn't put your follow through for a forehand in the same place as a lefty backhand throw.

Comment

Scott, I assume you are right handed? That wouldn't put your follow through for a forehand in the same place as a lefty backhand throw.
                            No, it wouldn't. For some reason, I thought the issue people were having on seven was with a RHFH shot. I didn't even try BH there because it is such a natural FH shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
                              Can you please describe the circumstance of how you hit your hand.
                              On follow through on a RHBH. Banged the knuckles of my right hand on the tree directly to the right of the tee. Same as the other guy I saw do it later. Since then I have made sure to set my plant foot as close to the front of the tee as possible so the tree is behind me on follow through. So I would suggest moving the tee forward a couple feet rather than backward.

I'll try to be there Saturday if possible to give my input while course maintenance is taking place. Maybe I can get Dan to come with me and help sort out 7 for the lefties. It seems best to address these kinds of things now before permanent teepads are in place.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X