Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the new cement tee pads suck, kind of...

some of the tee pads at leverich park are WAY too small. you pretty much have no room to wind up and throw on some holes and on most of the new cement pads, theres a HUGE drop off from the edge of the tee pad to the dirt that surrounds it. that has made it very hard for someone like me to get the most out of my tee shot. i have a bad knee, which i'm sure many of us do, and if my foot goes off the edge of the tee and rolls forward, i'm in big trouble. does anyone else have the same gripes???? thanks to whoever put the tees up, but daaaaaang.......

Originally posted by fredshoehead View Post
    some of the tee pads at leverich park are WAY too small. you pretty much have no room to wind up and throw on some holes and on most of the new cement pads, theres a HUGE drop off from the edge of the tee pad to the dirt that surrounds it. that has made it very hard for someone like me to get the most out of my tee shot. i have a bad knee, which i'm sure many of us do, and if my foot goes off the edge of the tee and rolls forward, i'm in big trouble. does anyone else have the same gripes???? thanks to whoever put the tees up, but daaaaaang.......
    Maybe they, the great volunteers who show up to work parties, are not done yet!

I think they haven't gotten around to back filling around the sides of the concrete yet. Anyone with a shovel could do it. Do you own a shovel? Maybe before you start complaining you should ask, "what is on the course to do list?"

I believe the short ones are a situational thing. The location and the trees don't help; they are on the short holes.
    Last edited by Vector_2008; August 16th, 2009, 10:40 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

I can understand the concern. There are a couple of things to consider. The first is that they have not finished back filling the pads so that there is a solid landing area. Second, the parks department did have some limitations on the pads. The longer holes however should have plenty of run up, pad space, and a run off or landing area when completely finished. The smaller pads are primarily on the short holes that either don't require much up a run up or are limited by nature as to the size. And I do believe that the smaller pads are still pretty much a standard size on most courses in the area. But I could be wrong.

In a perfect course you would have everything be uniform and perfect size and regulation (is there regulation pad dimensions?) however you have to work with what you got.

I'm sure Steve and company would appreciate any help in getting the pads finished out and continued help on improving the course. You should send him a message.
      Member of Stumptown DG #82
      Member of PDGA #34367

Comment

oh and I will take smaller pads (as long as there is a good solid landing area) over what was there before any day.
        Member of Stumptown DG #82
        Member of PDGA #34367

Comment

False.

The new pads at Leverich rock. I played them Saturday for the first time and loved 'em. The finish on top is fantastic!

Comment

Pads are fine.

Comment

Is the tee for hole 7 finished? I got up there shortly after pads were poured to check it out and it looked like a random pile of dried concrete.

Comment

Hole 7's tee is just gravel at the moment. There are a couple of decisions to be made about that and Steve decided to put a temporary gravel tee down until further notice.

Comment

Hole 7 semi-permanent completed

I went out this morning and finished the semi-permanent tee pad for hole 7. We are not 100% sure that the tee pad there will remain there permanently as it is a potential conflict hole with users of the picnic shelter during the summer months. The pad is now 4'x8' cobblestone pavers on a rock base with 2x6 treated boards surrounding the pad. I'll attach a photo for all to see!

P.S. Backfillers are welcome. I took my rake with me today and did some backfilling around tee pad #3, but really hope someone besides myself will step up and do some work at the park. It is getting VERY frustrating to see so many people come out and enjoy the park, but when it comes to doing a little work, very few people are willing.

PROJECTS anyone can help with at Leverich:
                  • Backfill tee pads
                  • Pick up trash
                  • Remove crappy tape someone put on baskets.
                  • Pick up cigarette butts littered on course
                  • Remove sharpie marking from basket #2
                  • Pick up beer cans from around the park
                  Last edited by Wog; August 19th, 2009, 11:57 AM. Reason: fixed a typo

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    False.

The new pads at Leverich rock. I played them Saturday for the first time and loved 'em. The finish on top is fantastic!

How did you guys finish the tops of the pads? We're getting some new pads here in Missouri and I'm searching the net for tips and ideas. Thanks!

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by ajinks View Post
                      How did you guys finish the tops of the pads? We're getting some new pads here in Missouri and I'm searching the net for tips and ideas. Thanks!

Andrew
                      Look for the bright orange plastic fencing used on construction sites. Once you've poured the wet concrete and spread it out evenly, just lay the orange fencing down on top and squeegee it so its flush with the surface. Then carefully lift it off the concrete and finish off the edges.
                      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

DON'T FINISH THE EDGES! All that does is create a slick area right where everyone plants at the front of the pad. Instead, extend your rough surface all the way to the edges.
                        Last edited by TreeLove; September 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM.
                        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

What's the cost on that cobbled pad? How well does it work?
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

It's not cobbled, and other than a section of plastic construction fencing, which you reuse, there is no additional cost.
                            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I was referring to this:
                              Originally posted by Wog View Post
                              I went out this morning and finished the semi-permanent tee pad for hole 7. We are not 100% sure that the tee pad there will remain there permanently as it is a potential conflict hole with users of the picnic shelter during the summer months. The pad is now 4'x8' cobblestone pavers on a rock base with 2x6 treated boards surrounding the pad. I'll attach a photo for all to see!

I've tried this using bricks (which I happen to have) and it soon became dangerously slick.
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X