X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime and such

I really want to play this course, since its the closest to my home, but after reading the past years posts, I am concerned. Vandalism, stolen plates, and a golfer being harassed and having his bag stolen as well as the stories of the gang-banger hanging out there and all the litter, I am wondering if this is a safe place for my wife and I to go during the week during the day.
    On the weekend, I'm sure its fine with other disk golfers around, but we usually play during the week from 10 am - 2 pm..... is this course safe? Would you all go there alone or with only one friend? How open is it, or how visable from the street? I'd love to hear everyones input.

Thanks!

Scott

I am not totally sure, but i think parking in the little parking lot near hole one would be better than the side of the street. I would think the main problem you might have with those dirtbags would be around basket #13 and teepad #14 and then possibly basket #16 and teepad #17. Holes #7 and 8 do play in the middle of the course and may be further away from the road, but are more open. I dont think it is a common occurance that those things happen, but i hope a local has better input.
    WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Like Dan said, these are very uncommon occurances - I feel perfectly comfortable playing alone there, even most evenings (so does my 100lb girlfriend). During the day should be totally fine but definitely keep your eyes open and anticipate trouble before anything happens.

The main thing you should be worried about is theft and people breaking into cars - don't leave anything valuble in there and definitely don't leave anything in plain view.
      'Weekend 4 Women':
      Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
      Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

seatac

Originally posted by GiggleWorks View Post
        I really want to play this course, since its the closest to my home, but after reading the past years posts, I am concerned. Vandalism, stolen plates, and a golfer being harassed and having his bag stolen as well as the stories of the gang-banger hanging out there and all the litter, I am wondering if this is a safe place for my wife and I to go during the week during the day.
        On the weekend, I'm sure its fine with other disk golfers around, but we usually play during the week from 10 am - 2 pm..... is this course safe? Would you all go there alone or with only one friend? How open is it, or how visable from the street? I'd love to hear everyones input.

Thanks!

Scott
        It's a very secluded course, and every now and then a random dog-walker or kid on a bike comes out of nowhere and passes through. I've never seen any trouble there in the few random times I've been there casually or alone. On the other hand, there is graffitti or gang marks here and there as well which means there have been scoundrels about so beware.
        I like playing there so I think I'd fight my way through. It can't be much worse than the beating the back nine gives me.
        Stimpi

Comment

I've played plenty of solo rounds at Seatac and never felt threatened. During the day, the sketchy looking people are usually the disc golfers. Being a big public park next to an airport, you're bound to see some "elements" now and then, but I've never had any trouble. Once a drunk and/or high guy was crossing a fairway, he watched me drive, and then as he sauntered past my disc, he picked it up and started walking away with it. I yelled at him, and he casually threw it on the ground and kept walking. That's my horror story from Seatac.

Like cefire said, just be careful when you park and keep valuables out of sight. Break ins have happened both on the street and in the parking lot.

Oh, and I would venture to guess that playing glow golf wouldn't be the best idea there either.
          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I have also played SeaTac many times alone. I don't feel that it is more dangerous than any other local course. It is secluded but that is one of the things I like about it. There are a few things you can do that might minimize any chance of having a problem. I think mornings are the safest time to play because homeless winos and gangbangers tend to get up around noon. The only people you will probably see in the park are dog walkers. It also seems that to avoid car prowlers you don't want to park close to the BMX track. If the parking lot by hole one is full then park on the street EAST of the parking lot. Most break-ins have occurred west of the parking lot. Lately it's been quiet at SeaTac (crime wise). I think your biggest regret when you do play there will be that you didn't play there sooner! I also think you'll find that these days the litter isn't nearly as bad as you've heard.

Comment

As someone familiar with the litter at the Tac, (Actually, it's really trash. Litter implies it just laying on the ground) The Golfers are nearly 100% responsible for the full cans on each tee. The other biggest source is the infamous "Tied little Black Bag"

As far as safety goes.
              The on course theft was just that the hoodlums sized up the guy(who by the way is always out there) and took his bag that he left as he was playing.

So my suggestions for safety at all courses is

Park in the light, don't leave anything and i mean anything in plain sight!!!!

Keep your phone and bags close.

If you feel uncomfortable with someone or thing grab your shit and move on, You can always come back later.
              rewindb.com

Comment

I play Seatac almost every week, and have been playing the course regularily for years now. The last two weekends there has been nearly nobody else there, maybe one other car in the small parking area and thats it, when I was out.

I think the gangster boys have gone away for the most part, I havent seen them much this year. Maybe they grew up.

As to theft, just dont bring anything in the car you dont need, and take the rest of your valuables on the course with you.
                Parking at the course is no more dangerous than parking at Southcenter mall.

I have been more concerned at Lakewood in the past few weeks.
                About three weeks ago, there was a White Center PD car in the lot when I got there, early afternoon. There was no signs of any trouble, the car was just sitting there with the officer inside.
                When I got back from playing 18, the police car was gone, but somebody had dumped a stripped Nissan SUV on its axles sideways, in the parking area.
                First time I have seen a wreck dumped there.
                A couple of weeks ago, also at Lakewood, I noticed a group of four questionable looking characters just sitting in the parking lot, in a beat up little sedan, as I finished my round. They were not golfers, and did not look like they were there to enjoy the park.
                It sure looked like they were just waiting for a quiet moment to bust into some cars.

So I think Seatac is now safer than Lakewood.

Worst thing I have seen at Seatac in the last few months is some dudes sitting on the benches at 13 and 14 guzzling beers, but they're just looking to get drunk, not start any trouble.

Go !
                Play !
                Seatac is better groomed and more playable now than it has EVER been before, its really a nice course.

Comment

Thanks for the input and responses all.

Comment

More bullshit at Seatac recently. Some citizen tried to pry open my gas tank but was too stoopid to try it from the unhinged side. They either gave up or someone pulled into the parking lot, where I was parked, and scared them off. Great course and it's always exciting to come back to your car to see if it's still intact!

hoodlums
                    Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Originally posted by Getty View Post
                      Some citizen tried to pry open my gas tank but was too stoopid to try it from the unhinged side.
                      Brilliant!

Comment

Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Any news lately? I just played Sea-Tac for the first time and had my wife and baby with me. We probably started our round 10 a.m. We only encountered a couple of dog walkers and a lady carrying a plastic bag. My truck wasn't tampered with.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X