X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeaTac Hierarchy

What's the story with SeaTac Park? Who is in control of the course?

The reason I ask is this- summer school looks like a bust this year, so I will find myself with loads of free time on my hands. I thought it might be nice to spend my mornings at the park in a constant maintenance effort.

So... I need to know who is the head honcho at this time so I can discuss various projects and possibilities of course beautification and cleanup. I have no intention of altering the play of any holes, I'm more interested in removing most of the blackberries and scotch broom from the course, and I'd like some direction by the responsible authorities.

Should I just talk to Guy? Who is the dude that installed the kick-ass "next tee->" signs before CSI? I heard rumors about a transfer of basket rights from Herm to other people... Grossman's name comes up every now and then... What's the true state of the course right now?

Oh, and if anyone even mentions the Herm Disc Golf Club (pay attention to this eye-roll, it's gonna be a good one- ) with a straight face I will scratch the entire idea and spend my days at Terrace instead.
    The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Surely the City Of SeaTac Parks & Rec department can get you in touch with the correct people: http://www.ci.seatac.wa.us/park/nsp.htm
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Well, I just received a 3rd pm that mentioned the Herm DGC, so I guess my fate is sealed. Terrace Creek, here I come.

Is it standard for a single golfer to "own" the rights to a public DG course?
      The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
        Well, I just received a 3rd pm that mentioned the Herm DGC, so I guess my fate is sealed. Terrace Creek, here I come.

Heh, watch out for the "Seattle Disc Golf Player's Association" (aka Lowell DGC). Fortunately, Lowell's a little more accommodating when it comes to people wanting to help out to improve the course.

And no, I don't think it's standard for a single golfer to "own" a public course. Nor do I think it's standard for a single golfer to be a "club". Nor do I think it's standard for every course to be represented by separate "club". The way things have evolved in the Settle area though, that all seems to be the standard around here.
        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

For us Oregonians, what's the deal with Herm?

Comment

I think only Jub and Guy know the whole story behind this guy. All I know is that whenever Seattlites talk about how effed up the DG scene is here, Herm's name inevitably comes up.

Yeah, I'm sure Lowell would have no problem with me working at Terrace... I would certainly clear any projects with him. Lord knows that new hole 13 could use some serious attention, starting with a new teepad location. 2.3 ft of runup don't quite cut it for me.

Edit: I just realized that the words "Herm", "Jub", and "Disc Golf" have all appeared in a single thread. Better move this one to the Purgatory section, quick!

Comment

I think only Jub and Guy know the whole story behind this guy. All I know is that whenever Seattlites talk about how effed up the DG scene is here, Herm's name inevitably comes up.

Yeah, I'm sure Lowell would have no problem with me working at Terrace... I would certainly clear any projects with him. Lord knows that new hole 13 could use some serious attention, starting with a new teepad location. 2.3 ft of runup don't quite cut it for me.

Edit: I just realized that the words "Herm", "Jub", and "Disc Golf" have all appeared in a single thread. Better move this one to the Purgatory section, quick!
              Yeah, I'll say that's f'd up. When a golfer selflessly offers his time and energy to improve a course that desperately needs it and cannot because somebody else "claimed it"?
              WTF?!?
              Seatac's loss is Terrace Creek's gain.

Good on you, Chuck. 90% (or more) of us would just choose to spend our free time golfing.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Good on you, Chuck. 90% (or more) of us would just choose to spend our free time golfing.
                Oh, there'll be plenty of golfing, too. Plus, I haven't done a damn thing yet. Congratulate me in September, once I've actually come through!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  For us Oregonians, what's the deal with Herm?
                  Yeah, like Chuck said, Jub and Guy would know the whole story. Herm was more active in the scene before I came to the area, and I don't see him much these days. He did come to Terrace dubs one night, got teamed up with a guy who wasn't very good, got pissed off about it, and vowed to never play Terrace dubs again, if that tells you anything.

The story on Herm and SeaTac, to the best of my knowledge, is that Herm designed and installed the course--for which he should definitely be commended. Baskets were donated for the course, and the course is set up as an agreement between the city and "Herm's Disc Golf Club". Herm apparently is good at pissing people off, and the relations between him and the head of the parks department are strained. As I understand it, Herm doesn't want anything happening to the course w/o his approval, and I guess he doesn't approve of people messing with "his" course. Apparently if someone buys all the baskets off him, he'd be willing to relinquish control.

Comment

Chuck, I don't think this is any different from the way things are at Seatac. In order to provide the full story, one must mention "Herms DGC" so as to appreciate the evolution of the course from a one (or few) man show to what it is now... ummm, perhaps a one Guy show. In any event, a club arises to take care of a course - a different club for each course. This one just has an unfortunate name attached to it that implies ownership.

I think that's natural in any area for the regular ballers to stick around a particular course the majority of the time and be interested in tending to it. I could be wrong, Lord knows I haven't been in the DG scene for all that long. For Seatac, there's plenty of space to tend to and not many golfers who come out to work parties (I've seen Grossman, Rahn, Illg, Jub, and Guy at recent work parties - sorry if I missed others, and yet how many people play there or dog on the current state of the course?). I doubt Terrace is much different though - if I wanted to go work on that course I would certainly feel obligated to contact "and clear any projects with" whoever is the course contact/manager, i.e., Lowell.

Comment

Oh, there'll be plenty of golfing, too. Plus, I haven't done a damn thing yet. Congratulate me in September, once I've actually come through!
                      I wouldn't expect anyone who bears such a striking resemblence to Honest Abe to back out of a promise.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        Yeah, like Chuck said, Jub and Guy would know the whole story. Herm was more active in the scene before I came to the area, and I don't see him much these days. He did come to Terrace dubs one night, got teamed up with a guy who wasn't very good, got pissed off about it, and vowed to never play Terrace dubs again, if that tells you anything.
                        Sounds about right.

The story on Herm and SeaTac, to the best of my knowledge, is that Herm designed and installed the course--for which he should definitely be commended.
                        Well.. unless you don't like the course. Then he should be condemned.

I wish I had some land so I could throw a drive, mark the tee and then go to my disc and pace 20 feet to the new pin position. I would also "own" that course.

Baskets were donated for the course, and the course is set up as an agreement between the city and "Herm's Disc Golf Club". Herm apparently is good at pissing people off, and the relations between him and the head of the parks department are strained. As I understand it, Herm doesn't want anything happening to the course w/o his approval, and I guess he doesn't approve of people messing with "his" course. Apparently if someone buys all the baskets off him, he'd be willing to relinquish control.
                        Sounds like something I heard about Timber Park once...

When will people learn that once you donate something, it is no longer yours to do anything with? If I donate some money to UNICEF, do I get to dictate how they spend it and if I am not happy about what they decide they will just give it back to me?

On a side note... does anyone remember when Herm used to post? I mean... I just didn't think you could capture toothless yokel in a post but boy was I wrong...
                        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
                          I think that's natural in any area for the regular ballers to stick around a particular course the majority of the time and be interested in tending to it. I could be wrong, Lord knows I haven't been in the DG scene for all that long. For Seatac, there's plenty of space to tend to and not many golfers who come out to work parties (I've seen Grossman, Rahn, Illg, Jub, and Guy at recent work parties - sorry if I missed others, and yet how many people play there or dog on the current state of the course?). I doubt Terrace is much different though - if I wanted to go work on that course I would certainly feel obligated to contact "and clear any projects with" whoever is the course contact/manager, i.e., Lowell.
                          I agree that it's natural for people to spend more time at a particular course, and therefore do more work there. I haven't been on the scene a long time either, but Seattle is the only place I've heard of that has a separate club for each course, though. More times than not, when I've been golfing with a Portland guy in a tourney or something, I've asked what his home course is, I'll get a funny look, and he'll reply something along the lines of "uhh...all of them?" I've said it before, but it still seems really strange that a city the size of Seattle doesn't have an actual unified club.

That being said though, I don't want to take away from what the course locals have done...we try to do what we can at Terrace, the North Parkers are doing a good job with the maintenance there, Lakewood is almost always looking good, and SeaTac has been in great shape (besides the emptied trash bags and poo-smearing.) I would like to come to some SeaTac work parties, but they always seem to happen when I'm busy with other things (usually regular work, without any party associated). And though I don't make my way out to the other courses like Arlington and Lake Stevens too much, it's obvious there been some locals taking care of things there. But anyway, just imagine what could be accomplished if all the golfers in the area who give a damn about course upkeep could come together for work parties at courses.
                          Last edited by Tim; May 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            Well.. unless you don't like the course. Then he should be condemned.

I wish I had some land so I could throw a drive, mark the tee and then go to my disc and pace 20 feet to the new pin position. I would also "own" that course.
                            hahaha, for some reason I didn't think you'd ever played SeaTac, Sam. I've heard complaints about some of the design before, but I think they're all pretty well designed holes. The only one that I give exception to would be 14 (the one with the rock wall next to the tee), and that's just because it's always a crapshoot off the tee. You can aim for a certain part of the "fairway", but there's no real safe way to play. Instead of risk/reward, it's pretty much all risk. Besides that though, they're all fair holes, IMO, though of course, some should definitely not be considered par 3s.

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            ...but boy was I wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              hahaha, for some reason I didn't think you'd ever played SeaTac, Sam. I've heard complaints about some of the design before, but I think they're all pretty well designed holes. The only one that I give exception to would be 14 (the one with the rock wall next to the tee), and that's just because it's always a crap shoot off the tee. You can aim for a certain part of the "fairway", but there's no real safe way to play. Instead of risk/reward, it's pretty much all risk.
                              Several holes at the Tac require players to throw a placement shot off the box then be aggressive on their second. 14,16,17,18 That is unless you can overpower them like Dave's shot on 17.

On 14 try throwing hyzer off the box. It opens up the hole

Safe at Seatac. I ahve spent more then 200+ hrs there over the years and have never once felt unsafe. Most everyone has a cell Keep the 91 always ready
                              rewindb.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X