X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loutsis Park renovations

Hey all, I have never been disc golfing before, but I am heading up a service project in Loutsis park on the 15th of September. The plan is to limb the trees up to 8'. Some limbs are hanging quite low.

The City is also wanting to remove a few of the trees from the park, as they are really densely packed. Apparently they were planted by a scout troop many years ago.

Since this impacts disc golfers more than most other people that use the park, my questions to you are
    • Is an 8 foot clearance about right? More? Less?
    • IS the density of the trees a draw because it poses a greater challenge, or does that really only matter around the goals?

Thanks in advance.
    FYI, our service crew will be in there limbing trees on Saturday, September 15, 2012 from about 8am to noon.

One more thing...

If you have any other feedback or requests like , "please don't clear the brush around hole 5!!" this is a good place ot post that.

Comment

Originally posted by candland View Post
      Hey all, I have never been disc golfing before, but I am heading up a service project in Loutsis park on the 15th of September. The plan is to limb the trees up to 8'. Some limbs are hanging quite low.

The City is also wanting to remove a few of the trees from the park, as they are really densely packed. Apparently they were planted by a scout troop many years ago.

Since this impacts disc golfers more than most other people that use the park, my questions to you are
      • Is an 8 foot clearance about right? More? Less?
      • IS the density of the trees a draw because it poses a greater challenge, or does that really only matter around the goals?

Thanks in advance.
      FYI, our service crew will be in there limbing trees on Saturday, September 15, 2012 from about 8am to noon.
      You need to call me at 425-830-3472 so we can discuss this project. I designed the course with approval from the city council and have very difinitive ideas on how to move the park forward. Thanks!

-- Getty
      Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Ok first, limbing the firs to 8' will ruin the course.

Second, call Getty.

I'm not sure why this needs to be done at all, the grass is still quite green in the treed section of the park, there is no risk of fire damage.
        I was there yesterday.

If you need a job, why dont you and your team pull all the invasive blackberries.
        You will not affect the disc golf course in any way if you hack out all the blackberries.

Any limbing can easily be done by the volunteers who take care of this park year round.

Thanks anyways.
        Last edited by captain jack; August 17th, 2012, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I spoke with the OP yesterday. They are a well-meaning group, and I look forward to working with them for the good of the course. No trees will be trimmed unless widow-makers can be safely brought down.

Please post your ideas for course improvements in this thread. Tee pads are in the works.

Team Deucebag

Comment

There's a work party for the park scheduled Saturday Sep 15 from 9 - noon. Please let the volunteers do their clean-up and y'all can play later in the day.

Team Deucebag

Comment

Glad this is moving forward smoothly. As far as work needing to be done to the park I can not think of much really needing to be taken out. I feel that the park/course has a nice mix of shaded area under the firs nice open field and even the black berries make for a good obsticle for us disc golfers and a treat for everyone this time of the year. Getting some of those widow makers that are still caught up from the ice storm is a good one i had not thought of. Thanks to the group coming out to work on the park its much appreciated.

On a different topic I feel the park could use some stuff. A Kiosk is always beneficial in a park and would be great for both the discers and and any other info park related(I would be more then happy to donate my time and carpentry skills to building one). Also we have mentioned dog bag despensers and maybe a trash can or two around the course. Anyways, another topic for another time.
              10/4 5PM START Carnation weekly Random Doubles every Thursday untill we cant see our discs flying anymore. All info in the link http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=8788

Comment

Reminder: The course is closed this Saturday from 9-noon. Also, random-draw doubles will be starting at 5:00 next Thursday, Sep 20th.

Team Deucebag

Comment

The park looks fantastic! Thanks, everyone!!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Course improvements are coming soon! We have the go-ahead from the city to fill in the low spots in the trees and to install concrete tee pads where aproporiate. With almost $700 in the club fund we should be able to get several yards of sand and 5/8 minus along with the bucks to do 4 pads. The idea is to pour #s 3, 6, 8 and 15. We'll also be putting the "party" back into work party if you know what I mean! Watch this space for more details...

Team Deucebag

Comment

The sand and gravel trucks will be coming in this Saturday the 8th. We'll be doing tee pad improvements along with some drainage work. Feel free to show up around 10:00 Saturday to lend a hand!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X