X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Stevens course conditions

Course is in great shape right now, the bog has filled in nicely, all set to swallow discs into its murky depths for another season.

Beware of the dubious string of logs across the middle of the bog if you sink a disc, the logs on the ends are stable, but the stuff out in the middle is floating.

New bridges include a nice new crossing on #13 with treated tread, which should last a while, and a more challenging crossing from #13 basket to #14 Blue tee, which is strapped deadfall logs, which saves you maybe 6 seconds from walking all the way around on the trail.

The disc swallowing pile of brush on #10 is gone, just the big rounds remain.

All tees and baskets are functioning properly. Crowds were very light for a sunny Sunday afternoon, and dog poop in the grassy areas seems to be minimal.

The True Value hardware has some fresh inventory, including some Eco Star Destroyers and Xcals, and plenty of Rocs, as well as fresh Discraft inventory as well.

I picked up an unpigmented Feldberg Champ Boss that flies nice but will probably end up on the wall because the new Eco Destroyer with the fat buddha belly that I also picked up flies just as far.
    They have pretty much the full line of Innova there, I also found a nice middle weight Star SL that flies great.

Time to start practicing for the F.I.T.T.

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
    All...baskets are functioning properly.
    The baskets are fantastic as always!!! Lake Stevens ROCKS!!!

Comment

The course is staying really clean lately ~ we went out early Sunday morning and could only scrounge up half a plastic grocery bag of trash. Play "safe" and clean.

Comment

Don, thanks for your continued efforts to pick up trash. I agree it has been staying pretty clean lately. There seems to be a lot of new people playing out there this spring. That is fine, but we have had to remind them to pack out their own trash a couple of times. After following a group of 10 high school kids and seeing them throw a pop can in the swamp, I caught up with them and gave them a trash bag so they can pick up other peoples trash for the rest of their round. They were cool about it.

See you at dubs? White tees!

Comment

Oh Yeah ~ I'll be there tonight ~

Quite a few new folks out on the course these days ~ most of them respect the course ~ but there's always a few bozos that don't give a damn.

Catch you later.

Comment

We had a strange sighting on the course yesterday.....as we were coming up #9 there was a police officer going down #4.....he headed straight for the tee area for #7....there was a couple of young dudes sitting there ~ the officer talked with them for a minute and then he left.

Maybe someone made a "suspicious activity" call to the police or maybe he was just checking out the course ~ we never did find out.

So if you are planning on having a "Safety Meeting" out there be sure to be safe about what you're doing.

Comment

Yeah, there have been a couple of other cop sightings on the course lately. We had a little problem with a group of young dudes coming out to the course with no other intention than to use it as their place to "party". They didn't care who was walking by or if they were seen or not. It sucked because a few of them would carry a disc so the other park users thought they were disc golfers. One of the members of this group let just about anyone who would listen know he had "discs" for sale in his backpack he carried around. We had a couple talks with these guys and I haven't seen them around much anymore. Hopefully they have moved somewhere else.

Last Monday after doubles, a group of us played a second round. We finished right when it got dark. 4 of us were standing by the hole 19 basket and a cop came by and turned on his spot light. He stopped and came over to us and told us to get out of the park because it was dusk and it is closed. The whole time he kept shining his flashlight on our golf bags hoping to find an empty container or something. We had nothing of course. He harrassed one guy because he was smoking (it's illegal to smoke in any Lake Stevens park) and then took off.

The cops are watching. Be cool and save all vices for home.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeStevensBA View Post
                We had a little problem with a group of young dudes coming out to the course with no other intention than to use it as their place to "party". They didn't care who was walking by or if they were seen or not. It sucked because a few of them would carry a disc so the other park users thought they were disc golfers. One of the members of this group let just about anyone who would listen know he had "discs" for sale in his backpack he carried around.
                Uh oh, it sounds like the group from North Park has spawned a new colony.

Comment

Alot of the tee boxes were really miserable yesterday, mostly just deep ruts and puddles, pretty much unuseable.
                  I think its time for some gravel and a work party. Also there is trash in the bog.
                  Does anybody know if the city will dump a load of gravel for the boxes, maybe up by the school ?

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
                    Alot of the tee boxes were really miserable yesterday, mostly just deep ruts and puddles, pretty much unuseable.
                    I think its time for some gravel and a work party. Also there is trash in the bog.
                    Does anybody know if the city will dump a load of gravel for the boxes, maybe up by the school ?
                    The city of Lake Stevens will not pay for any of the gravel needed on the course. We have always purchased this with our own money or with club funds if there are any. Also, the city does not clean up the park. This is done by the fellow disc golfers who want to keep the park litter free.

The Highway 9 Invitational is happening sometime in November I believe, so there will be a work party prior to that to get the course in tournament shape. Until then...

A) feel free to bring a rake and/or shovel to the course and scoop all the gravel that gets kicked out back into the tee box. Unfortunately, there are a few people that feel the need to dig a hole in the box before each throw. A lot of the boxes have enough gravel, it just gets kicked out after a few weeks.

B) Bring a garbage bag with you during the round and pick up any extra litter you find. Not only does this make the park look better, it usually brings good karma to your game.

Captain Jack, PM me your contact info and I will be sure to invite you to the next work party.

Cheers,
                    Brian

Comment

I don't get out to Lake Stevens as much as I used to since we put together Silver Lake and Blythe, but I will make an effort to take a trash bag with me next time I go.

I know the kicked gravel trick, but some of the holes, like #2, there is nothing left to kick back in.

Please post any upcoming work parties in the work party thread here B, I always look there, and will be glad to come help out.

Comment

I played yesterday and noticed Tuesday's wind storm created some nice firewood-gathering ops. Two huge trees came down, one barely missing my favorite basket, #14. There's also a big mess around #13's basket and tee. Chainsaws required.
                        Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Originally posted by Getty View Post
                          I played yesterday and noticed Tuesday's wind storm created some nice firewood-gathering ops. Two huge trees came down, one barely missing my favorite basket, #14. There's also a big mess around #13's basket and tee. Chainsaws required.
                          Yeah, it is bad. I talked to the City focal and they are going to do all the chainsawing. They should be out there in the next few days. The disc golfers will need to do the cleanup though.

It will be in fine shape for the Freeze. We haven't settled on a date yet, but it's lookin like late Jan or Feb this year.

Comment

The city has finally dropped and hauled off the big ass trees on holes 13 and 14 that were snapped in the the last wind storm. All further cleanup of limbs and stuff is now the responsibility of the disc golfers. There are still lots of logs and limbs littering some of the fairways. Feel free to haul/throw/chuck these off the fairways as you play.

We will be having a work party before the Freeze to get it back in tourney shape.

Comment

I went out yesterday for some clean-up. I hauled bigger branches to the sides of the faiways and around the basket on #13. Not that much in the way of trash. The heavy snow last night probably brought down a few more larger branches here and there.

As I was leaving a couple of guys were setting up a video camera ~ they wanted to make a short video about the course ~ sort of commercial for Lake Stevens disc golf.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X