X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDGPA Elections ***February 6, 10am***

There will be an election held for board positions in the Tacoma Disc Golf Players Association (TDGPA). If you are a current member of the TDGPA, you have the right to vote.

Elections will be held at the Fort Steilacoom disc golf course Saturday, February 6th at 10:00 am.
    WA ST Approved PDGA Schedule

4DiscGolf - a tournament directors best friend!!!

Tournament Directors - register your event HERE

Is there a list of candidates?
    rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
      Is there a list of candidates?
      Depends on who you ask and your definition of a "list".

I will make myself available, thanks Mike!
      Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Thanks for the information. Anything further about candidates or positions would be appreciated.

Comment

I thought that I had the list; I will try to get it posted within the next two-three days.

Anybody can be nominated for any of the five board positions before the elections on Feb 6th. When I post the list, it will be safe to assume that more names could easily be added to the list by election time. If anybody puts there name up on this thread for nomination, I will pass the info along to the powers that be.

Two weeks ago there was an “unofficial” meeting where people were nominated. We were going to have the elections today, but it was brought to our attention (rightfully so) that the club did not carry out the process correctly. Essentially, there wasn’t sufficient effort put into informing the paid club members of the upcoming nominations and elections for our new board members. With more and more people joining, it is becoming more and more important to increase our ability to inform them. The club is currently figuring this out.

I think it was an honest mistake. The club board members were hit hard with some people stepping down and the overwhelming amount of county issues that have been prevalent in the past year or so. Things have been getting better again and I think the nominations and “almost” elections where nothing more than an attempt to keep the ball rolling in the “right” direction.

Today’s failed elections were a victory in the clubs process of becoming a more legitimately run organization.

Even though these two meetings were not adequately advertised, for the record, these two meetings each had the largest turnouts of any club meetings I have ever attended. Hopefully these numbers will continue next month.

Mike Rideout

Comment

For the record, I am not a board member. I am an active member of the club and the info I am posting is the way I understand things to be. The only thing that the club requested I post on this site is the date and time of the upcoming election. I feel that it is also important to fill people in on why the election dates have changed and why they might not have known about the original elections to begin with.

Quoting myself-
            “Anybody can be nominated for any of the five board positions before the elections on Feb 6th.”

It actually has to be a club member who has been current for (I think) 90 days.

Quoting myself-
            “Today’s failed elections were a victory in the clubs process of becoming a more legitimately run organization.”

I certainly don’t mean to imply that the club has been acting illegitimately.

Everything happened on a much smaller scale a few years back. This is a club with a lot of history and there is a very old-school mentality within a lot of the players who have been around a while. This old mentality is slowly evolving into something more structured which should help us deal with the increasing number of members we continue to get and the growing number of details that must be addressed with the county.

Mark Kilmer and Rob Dean (and others) took on a huge task to push the club forward when few others would. The fact that they are both motivated to improve the club and the course shows with the improvements made to tee signs, course prep (especially for upcoming tourneys), new lease agreements with the county (which should give us a little more freedom with the courses), and a set of procedural guidelines that we (as a club) are adjusting to. Some of their ideas have been great and some have been really bad, but most importantly Mark and Rob (and others) continued developing the club through this transitional time and created a foundation the club is ready to continue building on.

Thank you Mark and Rob for your services. It wouldn’t be so bad if you were both re-elected.

Mike

(still working on getting that list of nominees)

Comment

Here is the list for board member nominees for the TDGPA.

President...Mark Kilmer
              Vice President....Rob Dean
              Treasurer......Raymond Seick
              Secretary...Briana Schumacher
              Tournaments Coordinator....Appointed
              Promotions....Dan Lilley
              Matt Schumacher
              Maintenence.....Jim Brassfield
              Riverside Rep....Todd Bates
              Jeremy Freiling

As Mike said, nominations will be taken up to the 31st of January with the elections being held on the 6th of February.

We are currently attempting to set up online voting for members who can not make the elections but no promises at this point.

Comment

So here is my mission statement for my election position. I challenge you all to participate in these elections. Renew your membership and be part of the solution.
                Mission Statement

I believe that we as a club have the potential to grow the sport of disc golf like never before. The first step, I believe, is to strengthen our Board of Directors with members who not only want to support the Associations local impact but members who can envision our club as the regional role model for the promotion of the sport as a whole.

I believe in the importance of providing our golfers with a positive disc golf experience when they come to our courses. A positive experience for a visiting golfer not only boosts the public opinion of disc golf but it shows all users of the park that our club is strong and united in the same cause.

I believe that a positive disc golf experience at our courses should include the following;
                1. A well maintained course layout.
                2. A course that is well marked with tee signs and fairway markers.
                3. A visit to our kiosk where golfers can see, retrieve and view event news and club information.

I believe these three items represent my core belief system as it pertains to disc golf at Fort Steilacoom DGC and Riverside DGC.

Our association raises money primarily through disc golf events. Therefore I believe that our association should strive to make all events the best that they can be. When players have a positive experience at our tournaments, they will tell others and in turn those players will come to more events. The end result will be that golfers will want to be part of the overall experience at Ft. Steilacoom. This will increase participation through volunteerism and membership.

I am confident that we, the TDGPA, will continue to be the role model for other clubs. As a board member, I believe that I must hold myself to a higher standard. This means that I represent all of our members in a positive light and that I must stand firm in upholding all decisions made by the Board of Directors and our general membership.

I believe that I have the recipe for success. Now we just need to get all the ingredients together. You are part of the recipe. We cannot do it without your participation. It truly is all about you!

Thank You,
                Rob Dean
                Vice President TDGPA 2004 – 2009
                Member #108
                PDGA#10113

Comment

I guess it's time to renew my membership. Shit thats six clubs now
                  rewindb.com

Comment

thanks

I am optomistic about the future of the club. What kilmer has done as president is admirable. The pieces he and the other position holders have picked up has pointed the club in the right direction. There is definately room for improvement but you can say that about any organization. I look forward to the future of steily, (don't forget about) RIVERSIDE, and any other endeavor the club decides to partake.
                    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

We could never forget about our sister course. For the first time in the history of the club, we have created a new board position for a Riverside representative. If you are a club member and are current with your dues you can vote on line. That too is a first for our club.

If you would like to vote online send me your information and email address and I will set you up with a registration code that will get you in vote. You may also vote in person at the course on Feb 6th from 10:00 - 11:00 am. Members who can not make it in person and do not have access to the internet may call me for a mail in ballot. All nominations must be submitted by January 31st,2010. Online voting will open on Feb 6th at 12:01 am and close at 11:59 pm.

Contact me at 253-973-4938 (leave a message)
                      robd@discgolftacoma.com

Keep your feet on the ground and your discs in the air.

Comment

I thought that Raymond Seick was appointed to the position of Treasurer until he didn’t want it anymore. I am not saying I like that arrangement, but are you sure that his position as treasurer is actually up for nomination and election?

Mike

Comment

Riverside was not represented properly within the club by the locals in the past mostly because the players from there were put off by the clubs representation(or a lack of) in the past. I am greatful to todd and jeremy for stepping up and to the club for stepping up also. The future is bright as long as the people are represented properly and information is shared and made easily available. Checks and balances.

Any new candidates?
                          Last edited by REDFIVE; January 4th, 2010, 10:59 PM.
                          Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

On the reader board at Steily there is a list of nominees.

President:
                            Mark Kilmer
                            Rob Dean

Vice President:
                            Bill Winkler
                            Rob Dean

Secretary:
                            Briana Schumacher

Maintenance:
                            Jim Brassfield (JB)

Promotions:
                            Matt Schumacher
                            Dan Lilley

There is also a statement that read, “… you must be present to vote…”.

I had a brief discussion with Mark Kilmer about the discrepancies between what is posted online and what is posted on the reader board. Mark said that as long as Rob Dean has a way for people to vote online, that voting online won’t be a problem.

I am not exactly sure what the official nominations list is, but this list I just posted would be from the nominations that were taken at a meeting a few weeks ago. My guess is that people on both nominations lists are being nominated. Some repeats, some not.

Mark stated some concern with nominations that may come from the online forum because of a lack of people to second anything.

Mike Rideout

4DiscGolf</