Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joshua Olmsted
    started a topic Course Maps/info

Course Maps/info

Wow, I'm surprised there isn't a single Steilacoom thread yet, it's too bad it's such a nice course, provided you can navigate. I figured, now that Steilacoom is my new home course, I'd try and provide a little info or help to the legions of folks who get lost in its mysteries, so here's a link to two of the many course maps for Steilacoom and a link to a decent aerial layout of the Pro 27 course from dgcoursereivew.com.
    You can buy a pack of course maps on some Weekends for a dollar, in the parking lot, there's a few more than whats on here (think 14 maps). If you're going out for the first time I'd advise to hold strictly to trying the NW, SE or Pro 27 courses as the others are more tricky to navigate. The maps are a little hard to read and definitely outdated on the distances, but they give a decent read on where some of the longer walkouts go, it's often easy to just go to the closest hole and end up on a different course.

Link to the NW/SE map.
    http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course...1/00d7061f.gif

A note on the SE course, the first hole starts on the left side of the road on the way to the main parking lot, there's some parking on the grass and a small sign. The NW course starts by the main parking lot.

Link to the Pro 27 map.
    http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course...1/5e4ee5b0.gif

Course starts in the main Steilacoom parking lot at the end of the course road.

Link to the Pro 27 Aerial
    http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course...1/1d7e1a7d.jpg

Link to the SE Aerial
    http://www.discgolftacoma.com/maps/steilacoom-se.pdf

Link to the NW Aerial
    http://www.discgolftacoma.com/maps/steilacoom-nw.pdf

I'll say in closing that despite its navigational issues, Steilacoom is still a great disc golf facility, a blast to play, and if you learn the layouts you ends up with a lot of variety, in difficulty and style, with long, short, tight and open holes a plenty.
    Last edited by Joshua Olmsted; May 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM. Reason: New information

• jrbtfc
    replied
    I know the entire way now. Luckily, I played with friends who knew everything already.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Yah, I think these days (when the baskets are actually in the ground that is), there are 36 of them in there permanently. I think there used to be more in the ground a few years ago, but that could be my memory playing tricks with me.

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
    By the way, exactly how many baskets does Steilacoom have? Every place I look, it says 27 baskets, but then I see that there are two 18-hole layouts that don't look like they overlap.

theres actually 14 different ways to play at this course....

Leave a comment:

• Adam Schneider
    replied
    By the way, exactly how many baskets does Steilacoom have? Every place I look, it says 27 baskets, but then I see that there are two 18-hole layouts that don't look like they overlap.

Leave a comment:

• DMAILMAN
    replied
    2010 update for the masses

Well it is 2010 and I want you all to know whats happening with our courses. The TDGPA has stopped selling the course map books. This is because we are no longer supporting the layouts that have been posted online.

In 2008, we adopted a "premier course" concept. That is to say that we believe that offering two independant 18 hole courses is a much better option than having fourteen layouts spread over 56 acres.

While we still offer all layouts to our Tournament Directors, we now will only offer three courses to the general public. They are the Northwest, Southeast and Amateur courses.

Because of the three basket theft in January 2010, the money allocated for sign improvements in 2010 has been postponed. This is because we have elected to spend that money securing our property.

Thanks for all of your support everybody! Keep your feet on the ground and your discs in the air!

Rob Dean
    Vice President TDGPA
    Member #108
    PDGA # 10113

Leave a comment:

• SPIDER-DAN
    replied
    I guess i must of been lucky. The first time i got a map it was pretty easy finding the holes. Its been 15 years and i love steilly the same as i did the first day i played it.

Room for improvement? Of course!!! In fact, i think there is plans to narrow down the courses to mainly just two.........the southeast and the northwest. There are pretty nice tee signs on most of the holes and i do admit that not all the 'next tee' signs are in place where they should be, but that is a work in progress. I do believe that most of the teepads have the hole number painted on them.........pretty neat i think.

Steilly is still the best for me.........but i know that there is STILL WORK to be done.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Yeah, I agree with TYVEK and Josh both on this front. Steilli is WAY improved over what it used to be a few years ago, but it can still be pretty confusing. I always get messed up on that one area...(I guess it's hole 2 on the pro course?) where there's a mando in play if you're playing one layout, but it doesn't apply if you're playing another. There are some other spots that get confusing too, like the holes shooting down into Sergeant's Grove...which tee for which course? So yeah, like Josh says, the signs are a big plus, but still, there's room for improvement.

I'd like to see someone with the wherewithal (i.e. photoshop/illustrator skills) update the little map booklets that Ray sells so that they'd be a little more legible. I tried using one of those the first time I played there (pre-signage), and ended up getting a bald spot from all the head scratching I had to do.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Olmsted
    replied
    Yep!! most of the holes actually have some really sweet signs.

I might have to disagree with you a bit though TYVEK, the NW course has no signs between holes, there's no sign that currently explains the long walkout from basket 13 to tee 14 and no tee sign that indicates NW 10 going back down the hill. Same is true for parts of the Pro 18 and Pro 27 course. SE is the only course I've seen with full markings. While I totally agree that with some patience and intuition the courses are totally playable even with out a map, there's still room for improvement on the signage front.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Fingers
    replied
    Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
    ok, stilly is sooooooo much better than it used to be a couple years ago!!!

and anybody that is paying attention can get around any of the courses there EASILY!! all the courses are color coded and there are directional arrows POINTING the way to the next hole for whatever course you are playinig. if you want to know what basket you are shooting for, LOOK AT THE TEE SIGN! the tee signs are all actuall pictures of the hole with arrows showing where the basket is located. and if a tee pad is used for multiple courses, the tee sign will have all course info and with each color for the course you are playing.

when somebody tells me that stilly is hard to find their way around, i know that they arent paying enough attention to where they are going.

the local club puts a TON of work into that course and it shows. what more do they need to do????? have a video GPS thingy telling you where to put your next footstep?
    There are SIGNS at Steili?!?!

Leave a comment:

• TYVEK
    replied
    ok, stilly is sooooooo much better than it used to be a couple years ago!!!

and anybody that is paying attention can get around any of the courses there EASILY!! all the courses are color coded and there are directional arrows POINTING the way to the next hole for whatever course you are playinig. if you want to know what basket you are shooting for, LOOK AT THE TEE SIGN! the tee signs are all actuall pictures of the hole with arrows showing where the basket is located. and if a tee pad is used for multiple courses, the tee sign will have all course info and with each color for the course you are playing.

when somebody tells me that stilly is hard to find their way around, i know that they arent paying enough attention to where they are going.

the local club puts a TON of work into that course and it shows. what more do they need to do????? have a video GPS thingy telling you where to put your next footstep?

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Olmsted
    replied
    Whoa there, didn't mean to set anything off, I'm only implying that on certain courses at Steilly looking at the basket number might not help you, like if you're playing the SE course and the number is intended for the Pro course, the basket numbers do work for, I believe, the pro 18, though I may be wrong. The Milo comment was simply on the fact that, as of the last time I played, the basket numbers were often for older outdated hole numberings and that's something that Steilly and Milo have in common. And I dodn't say anything about the numbers on tee signs, the ones on the SE course are quite nice.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Fingers
    replied
    And to think I was considering 3-headed monster with you!

Originally posted by Joshua Olmsted View Post
    You also raised another point, don't trust the numbers on the baskets, but of course, the same advice could be given for playing the 5-star disc golf course Milo Mciver.
    WHAT?!? There is NOTHING wrong with playing the course as it is numbered on the tee signs and baskets, they work just fine. If you want to play 27 holes straight through then you better know how it flows. But it can't hold a candle to the ALT PRO/NW/CHRONIC/SE layouts at Steili!

I defy you to show me the tee pad at Milo that can throw to 6 different baskets on 12 different layouts...

Blasphemer!

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Olmsted
    replied
    Highly doubtful, I'd mail you one but I'm not going to be at Steilacaoom for a good while because I'm headed back to Portland for the summer. I actually don't know the name or any contact info for the man who sells discs and maps at the course, it's not a shop style business it's out of his van. He's there most nice weekend days.

I put the aerial maps up in the first post, thanks for the link. You also raised another point, don't trust the numbers on the baskets, but of course, the same advice could be given for playing the 5-star disc golf course Milo Mciver.

Leave a comment:

• Mystjava
    replied
    Would it be possible to get one of those booklets mailed to me? I would love to look it over.

Leave a comment:

Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X