X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Course Maps/info

Wow, I'm surprised there isn't a single Steilacoom thread yet, it's too bad it's such a nice course, provided you can navigate. I figured, now that Steilacoom is my new home course, I'd try and provide a little info or help to the legions of folks who get lost in its mysteries, so here's a link to two of the many course maps for Steilacoom and a link to a decent aerial layout of the Pro 27 course from dgcoursereivew.com.
    You can buy a pack of course maps on some Weekends for a dollar, in the parking lot, there's a few more than whats on here (think 14 maps). If you're going out for the first time I'd advise to hold strictly to trying the NW, SE or Pro 27 courses as the others are more tricky to navigate. The maps are a little hard to read and definitely outdated on the distances, but they give a decent read on where some of the longer walkouts go, it's often easy to just go to the closest hole and end up on a different course.

Link to the NW/SE map.
    http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course...1/00d7061f.gif

A note on the SE course, the first hole starts on the left side of the road on the way to the main parking lot, there's some parking on the grass and a small sign. The NW course starts by the main parking lot.

Link to the Pro 27 map.
    http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course...1/5e4ee5b0.gif

Course starts in the main Steilacoom parking lot at the end of the course road.

Link to the Pro 27 Aerial
    http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course...1/1d7e1a7d.jpg

Link to the SE Aerial
    http://www.discgolftacoma.com/maps/steilacoom-se.pdf

Link to the NW Aerial
    http://www.discgolftacoma.com/maps/steilacoom-nw.pdf

I'll say in closing that despite its navigational issues, Steilacoom is still a great disc golf facility, a blast to play, and if you learn the layouts you ends up with a lot of variety, in difficulty and style, with long, short, tight and open holes a plenty.
    Last edited by Joshua Olmsted; May 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM. Reason: New information
    PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
    dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Someone please host those files somewhere else: the ODSA.com site is infested with viruses, trojan horses, etc. DGCourseReview.com would be a good option.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Oh, I thought only the ODSA forum was infected, I've never had any other problems with the site. I don't really know how to host them elsewhere, not being particularly tech savvy.

Comment

No, the entire ODSA site is infected. There's a virus-spawned link on the upper left of that page.

Just download the Steilacoom files that need saving (and verify that they're not hopelessly outdated or already available somewhere else), and you can upload them to the appropriate course page on DGCourseReview.com.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Ok, I transfered the files and edited my original post accordingly. Thanks for the ODSA info.

Comment

I played Steilacoom for the first time last week - most confusing course ever. I finally just started trusting my map and ignoring what the tees and baskets were numbered, if at all.

Some other aerial maps of the NW and SE courses can be found at Tacoma Disc Golf

Comment

Originally posted by sammichraptor View Post
              I played Steilacoom for the first time last week - most confusing course ever. I finally just started trusting my map and ignoring what the tees and baskets were numbered, if at all.

Some other aerial maps of the NW and SE courses can be found at Tacoma Disc Golf
              MUST RESIST NEGATIVE POSTING!!!!

AAARRRRGGGGHHH!
              Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
              Remain ye men of faculty complete,
              Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
              Attending to our noble bond and contract?
              Or does here stand the last remaining man
              To give a fig for rules and order yet,
              No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
              Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
              Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Olmsted View Post
                You can buy a pack of course maps on some Weekends for a dollar, in the parking lot, there's a few more than whats on (think 14 maps).
                FAVORITE POST EVER!

Comment

Would it be possible to get one of those booklets mailed to me? I would love to look it over.
                  Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                  DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

Highly doubtful, I'd mail you one but I'm not going to be at Steilacaoom for a good while because I'm headed back to Portland for the summer. I actually don't know the name or any contact info for the man who sells discs and maps at the course, it's not a shop style business it's out of his van. He's there most nice weekend days.

I put the aerial maps up in the first post, thanks for the link. You also raised another point, don't trust the numbers on the baskets, but of course, the same advice could be given for playing the 5-star disc golf course Milo Mciver.

Comment

And to think I was considering 3-headed monster with you!

Originally posted by Joshua Olmsted View Post
                      You also raised another point, don't trust the numbers on the baskets, but of course, the same advice could be given for playing the 5-star disc golf course Milo Mciver.
                      WHAT?!? There is NOTHING wrong with playing the course as it is numbered on the tee signs and baskets, they work just fine. If you want to play 27 holes straight through then you better know how it flows. But it can't hold a candle to the ALT PRO/NW/CHRONIC/SE layouts at Steili!

I defy you to show me the tee pad at Milo that can throw to 6 different baskets on 12 different layouts...

Blasphemer!

Comment

Whoa there, didn't mean to set anything off, I'm only implying that on certain courses at Steilly looking at the basket number might not help you, like if you're playing the SE course and the number is intended for the Pro course, the basket numbers do work for, I believe, the pro 18, though I may be wrong. The Milo comment was simply on the fact that, as of the last time I played, the basket numbers were often for older outdated hole numberings and that's something that Steilly and Milo have in common. And I dodn't say anything about the numbers on tee signs, the ones on the SE course are quite nice.

Comment

ok, stilly is sooooooo much better than it used to be a couple years ago!!!

and anybody that is paying attention can get around any of the courses there EASILY!! all the courses are color coded and there are directional arrows POINTING the way to the next hole for whatever course you are playinig. if you want to know what basket you are shooting for, LOOK AT THE TEE SIGN! the tee signs are all actuall pictures of the hole with arrows showing where the basket is located. and if a tee pad is used for multiple courses, the tee sign will have all course info and with each color for the course you are playing.

when somebody tells me that stilly is hard to find their way around, i know that they arent paying enough attention to where they are going.

the local club puts a TON of work into that course and it shows. what more do they need to do????? have a video GPS thingy telling you where to put your next footstep?
                          Team HOSER:dancing:
                          Team OLY:cheerleader:
                          Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                            ok, stilly is sooooooo much better than it used to be a couple years ago!!!

and anybody that is paying attention can get around any of the courses there EASILY!! all the courses are color coded and there are directional arrows POINTING the way to the next hole for whatever course you are playinig. if you want to know what basket you are shooting for, LOOK AT THE TEE SIGN! the tee signs are all actuall pictures of the hole with arrows showing where the basket is located. and if a tee pad is used for multiple courses, the tee sign will have all course info and with each color for the course you are playing.

when somebody tells me that stilly is hard to find their way around, i know that they arent paying enough attention to where they are going.

the local club puts a TON of work into that course and it shows. what more do they need to do????? have a video GPS thingy telling you where to put your next footstep?
                            There are SIGNS at Steili?!?!

Comment

Yep!! most of the holes actually have some really sweet signs.

I might have to disagree with you a bit though TYVEK, the NW course has no signs between holes, there's no sign that currently explains the long walkout from basket 13 to tee 14 and no tee sign that indicates NW 10 going back down the hill. Same is true for parts of the Pro 18 and Pro 27 course. SE is the only course I've seen with full markings. While I totally agree that with some patience and intuition the courses are totally playable even with out a map, there's still room for improvement on the signage front.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X