X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole 5 removed

Hole 5 has been removed due to the continued errant throws into the rear parking lot and over the fence into the adjacent private properties.

The WSDGA tried to save the hole, but decided it was not in the best interest of disc golf and the local community to leave it installed. Van Zee Park will now be a traditional nine hole disc golf course with dual tees.

Bummer we lost a hole...

... but I admit that hole always made me paranoid since those houses were dug in so close. I'm actually surprised that this didn't happen sooner, since there were some nastiness going on there - the signage always bugged me, since they had to have seen the basket there and figured discs may be flying into their yard on occasion, BEFORE they bought the house. If they weren't willing to accept the situation they shouldn't have made purchase IMO. In the end, I'm good to lose a hole vs. losing the course.

Comment

The WSDGA has a good relationship with the property owner and wanted to keep it that way. Hole 5 was just an O.K. hole and wasn't really worth saving. It's not like there was only nine holes to start with. The original ten holes was kind of a bonus to start with.

Back to the removal of hole 5, we had tried a few different things to deter discs being thrown over the fence. This has been an issue for a long time. But as time went by, the fixes were only marginal at reducing the problem. I was still surprised that discs made it over the fence. Throws that ended of over the fence were some pretty bad shanks or a perfect kick off a tree.

As for the property owners knowing about the disc golf course, the course was installed just months before the house foundation was poured. I'm sure they had already bought the house before the course was installed, but I was surprised how close the house was built to the fence.

On a good note: When we pour concrete for the last nine tee pads (soon), the alternate/long tee for the new hole 5 will be moved over and back twenty feet into the old hole 5's fairway.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
      Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X