Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitsap Sun article on Fredericksen

"A New Disc Golf Course in Kitsap"

Silly article for the most part, but it provides some history:
    Back in 1990, the Poulsbo First Lutheran Church was willed 60 acres of land from the estate of Mr. Fred Fredericksen. The church then began to use the property for special events and named it the Fredericksen Wilderness Park. In 2007, the church landed on the bright idea of using a portion of the land for a disc golf course and so the dream began.

In March of this year they broke ground with the help of Paul Wright and Tony Beckett from the West Sound Disc Golf Association, and so began the tedious process of laying out the course. Thanks to a massive effort from numerous volunteers, the course is now ready and open to the public (though they will admit it is still in a bit of a “rough stage” of development — a work in progress). And one of my favorite things about disc golf: it’s free!

According to Paul Davis, the gentleman who gave me the heads-up about this course, “The 1st tee is located at the base of a Redwood tree which was planted by Fred Fredericksen when he was a boy. We nicknamed the tree Fred’s Red and thought it was fitting to begin the course at the tree.”

Though the course is privately owned by the church, they graciously have opened it to the public with one request, that people refrain from smoking there and pack out their own trash ... sounds reasonable to me.
    Oregon disc golf map

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
    "A New Disc Golf Course in Kitsap"

Silly article for the most part, but it provides some history:
    Back in 1990, the Poulsbo First Lutheran Church was willed 60 acres of land from the estate of Mr. Fred Fredericksen. The church then began to use the property for special events and named it the Fredericksen Wilderness Park. In 2007, the church landed on the bright idea of using a portion of the land for a disc golf course and so the dream began.

In March of this year they broke ground with the help of Paul Wright and Tony Beckett from the West Sound Disc Golf Association, and so began the tedious process of laying out the course. Thanks to a massive effort from numerous volunteers, the course is now ready and open to the public (though they will admit it is still in a bit of a “rough stage” of development — a work in progress). And one of my favorite things about disc golf: it’s free!

According to Paul Davis, the gentleman who gave me the heads-up about this course, “The 1st tee is located at the base of a Redwood tree which was planted by Fred Fredericksen when he was a boy. We nicknamed the tree Fred’s Red and thought it was fitting to begin the course at the tree.”

Though the course is privately owned by the church, they graciously have opened it to the public with one request, that people refrain from smoking there and pack out their own trash ... sounds reasonable to me.

Wow. That is one poorly written article. Nice bit of history, though.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
    Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X