Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the fun! Dalaiwood is done....

Well, I can't believe I am writing this but it is true, the Dalaiwood Disc Golf Course will be closing at the end of the day on Sunday, July 8th. This afternoon we were visited by the Kitsap County code compliance inspector. He informed us that while we may have been just trying to do a good thing for the community, we were in fact violating numerous codes and land use regulations. Basically, how we were using our property was less like a private residence and much more like a public park, and that is not what our land is specified as. While he did offer that we may be able to have our land become code compliant in our county, it would take thousands of dollars in licenses and fees and countless hours of bureaucratic red tape, and that would not even guarantee that is would happen (as they would even have to do an environmental impact study).

So in short, we are (a) not independently rich and (b) with three kids that are four and under and another due in September, time is a very valuable commodity to us right now. Bottom line, to avoid fines for keeping the course and pro shop open, we are going to be closing both the course and the pro shop at the end of the weekend.

So if you have played out here before, we are glad you had a chance to come out and we hope you had fun. If you haven't played here before and can come out by Sunday, please try to because we can not guarantee that you will ever have another chance to play the first course across the bridge and the start of "West Sound" disc golf.

Thank you to everyone who has come out and played our beloved course. Thank you to everyone who left and turned someone else on to the sport that we love and that we just wanted to help grow. Thank you to all the participants in the Dalaiwood Opens, eight crazy years of Howliewoods, and of course, the Ace Race that you all helped make the largest Ace Race IN THE WORLD for the last five years. And most importantly...

Thank you for being disc golfers, like us. While our course may be closing, we will never lose the love of the flight of the disc and the sound of the chains. As always, we'll see you out on the course, just not ours.

Jeanne and Scott Papa
    Team Discraft
    Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Bummer. That's the worst ever.
    I was checking the zoning for Spokane, and in ALL zoning areas, golf courses are allowed. Maybe there's something like that in Kitsap?
    Anyway, sorry to hear the bad news.
    Stimpi

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about this! You guys are so wonderful. I'm just still in shock about this. I don't know what to say.

Comment

What if you started charging greens fees? Make it a private course on private property. Does that change the permitting?? I will look into it for you.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
        Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X