X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    Hey thanks Lyle for setting up the course and running the benifit. I heard that it raised over $200.00. That's cool!
    I set up the course, but I ended up playing and didn't run shit.

That was all Bob. I suck at running anything bigger than a weekly.

Thanks, Bob!
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Timber View Post
      That said, however, I have to agree with the previous posters. The first layout - even in its infancy - was already my favorite Spokane course. The new one I found to be not as fun, less beginner-friendly and more dangerous. Some of the individual holes are good, but the overall layout doesn't flow as well with the park trails and other features. There were more than a few holes where I was reluctant to throw because I didn't know if there were people in harm's way or not. I felt the old layout filled a real need in the Spokane area course options; the new one, not so much. If it's a vote, I'm for the original or a slightly tweaked version of it.
      Yup, right now there's no vote. My course isn't even an option. Right now, Kevin's old layout with some minor tweaks is the only option for the permanent plan.

I'm glad I got to set up it and see how it plays, though. That's what the buckets are for

I'd still like to see others bring in ideas for something that can be both family and beginner friendly and still challenging enough for experienced players that we can use it for tournaments.
      We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

I finally played the Peoples Park course yesterday and I've got some feedback:

First and foremost, super kudos to all that have worked so hard to get this course up and running. This town could use three more courses, but one is a good start.

Second, I have to make note of the fact that all three courses, (Highbridge, Downriver and now, Peoples Park) reside atop historic areas. Downriver used to be a hotel/resort, Highbridge and Peoples Park were both railroad era boomtown neighborhoods filled with the laborers that built the two massive trestles that used to loom overhead. More importatnly, long before those concrete stanchions were dropped in the water, this little peninsula was a tribal fishing village for many generations. Many of the paths through the park have been walked on for centuries. Bearing that in mind, there should be the utmost care taken to keep this course tidy and well-respected.

On to the course... Love it. Not a lot of long holes, but lots of really technical shots. Great course to get beginners some good experience and make the big arms show they still know how be accurate. I'd say there is still some safety issues on 2, 3, and 4, but if people are careful, and a little brush is cleared out, it could work.

What I really wanted was a bigger map, so I made a new one...

checkit...

I cut and pasted this map from bing in about 5 minutes and drew what seemed to be the current course--Kevin's setup with 15 going uphill instead of down--or as best as I could determine with the map I printed from the thread and the fact that the buckets on 2, 5. 14, 15 ,17 and 18 were missing, so my lines may be a bit off on some holes. (I've attached a blank version for those who want to mock up their own) There was also no surveyor's tape anywhere. You can see the detail of the park better at this angle and I eliminated the west bank from the picture (since it seems to be ruled out due to numerous logistic and safety reasons) so as to make the map slightly larger.

Use it, fix it, or make your own...it's all good.
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Great Map! Thanks!

Comment

I have a question about the targets at people’s park. I have gleaned from the posts that they are upside-down buckets on some sort of stand. I am setting up a temporary course for a local (to me) camp and I think this would work well for this. I was wondering if you guys had a picture of the target or could send me plans.
            Throw What You Know.
            "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
            PDGA# 45989

Comment

Played PP again this morning. Only 7 was missing today.

Where do these nutjobs put the targets after they steal them? I looked in the bushes/woods/creek...where the eff is it? Ridiculous...
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

They like to break them and hide them or throw them in the river.. Curious to see what steps they take when we put baskets in? Hopefully we get some BOMB proof baskets.. Not sure about our rubber mats.. don't seem very safe to put in
                Relax and enjoy your hair
                TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

The Replacements

Originally posted by Burge View Post
                  Played PP again this morning. Only 7 was missing today.

Where do these nutjobs put the targets after they steal them? I looked in the bushes/woods/creek...where the eff is it? Ridiculous...
                  Kevin is like Jay Leno in a Doritos ad; 'We'll make more'

Comment

A friend of mine from Bellevue was in town today and we played Peoples this morning (yes, in the rain--which wasn't so bad...but the long wet grass was brutal), and yes, there was another bucket missing from 17. We made a search of the area and didn't see it...

...fargin iceholes

BTW: he thought the course was pretty awesome and can't wait to come back when there's baskets.
                    Last edited by Burge; June 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Howdy again! Have we heard any news from the Parks Department regarding the People's Park course? It's been a little over a month now and I'm excited to hear what the word is. I can't imagine why it takes the damn bureaucrats so long to make a decision that to me seems so simple.

Comment

People's Park

Sean,

I met with our Park Department contact the other day and he said "There is no update on People's Park.

Sorry,

Sky Pilot
                        SDGA President

PS - Are you the same Sean that painted the benches?
                        Rely on Me

Comment

benches

Nope, not me. But I have considered carrying a can of brown paint around with me to cover up the NORTE 4 markings.

Comment

Speaking of paint...to whoever painted the big green "16" on the trunk of the ponderosa pine next to Hole 16's tee, don't do that. That's exactly the sort of thing enemies of PPDGC can use to convince the City not to approve the course.

Comment

Originally posted by Timber View Post
                              Speaking of paint...to whoever painted the big green "16" on the trunk of the ponderosa pine next to Hole 16's tee, don't do that. That's exactly the sort of thing enemies of PPDGC can use to convince the City not to approve the course.
                              cover it with the brown paint.

Comment

Just wonderin'...

It's been a month since the last pester (although, not by me) and I'm sure others are curious...
                                Is there any change in the status of PPDGC? As in, to dig or not to dig. [I know, I know..."If there was, it would be posted by now."]

I've been playing the course and liking it more and more (there's even been seemingly less FN around with the buckets). I would not only love to see real baskets and teepads, I would also love to show up and lend a hand with the installation. Plus, I think once we got in there and leveled out a teepad and put in a real basket on #7, the 'tent campers' will get the clue to MOVE OUT!!

...sorry

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X