X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Course progress

Hey everyone, I've been gone for a few weeks and wanted to check up on the course. What's happening with it, or are you guys all to busy practicing to empress Feldberg? Keep me, and eveyone else informed, the time change is a MF. Joe

Comment

The course is pretty good as far as how many walking paths trail in and out of the park. I see a long pin on 7, a long on 8, 3, 18, 15 and especially on 14. Some of the tees could be moved back or added to provide a different angle to the pins. The shots that could go to far on 2 could easily be deflected with a 10 foot piece of netting. As far as 4 being dangerous it would only be to walkers and I think they can be easily seen. Hole 5 is a little poke and hopish but the lefty hyzer line should open up and the more it is played the easier it will get. I have played courses like this in many big cities and they are the kind of courses that are important to help growing the game and to getting an upshot game dialed.
      Shooting downhill on 15 seems cool but it doesn't seem very safe. It also seems like it would be an easy thumber hole. The course is beginner in distance wise but it requires quite a bit of accuracy which is good. I really like hole 12 and 13 alot. Looks like 12 will be a thumber soon because branches are getting snapped at a regular rate by Thumberholics. Props to Kevin on his fight to keep putting the course back together on a daily basis.
      Relax and enjoy your hair
      TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Yep, thanks Kevin

I do feel 13's pin should be moved west a little bit. The path along the right side is mostly blind from the tee and walkers are right in the danger zone for the righty hyzer.

Comment

I play People's Park about once a week since the crowds are still hanging at High Bridge and Downriver, and so far I love it. It definitely plays shorter, but it is still quite technical and requires more accuracy over power. I am very curious about hole sponsorships. While I may not be able to sponsor an entire hole, my friends and I would definitely be willing to contribute to the cost of a basket. My favorite holes on the course are some of the tighter ones that require the technical shots. Hole 4 is my favorite open shot and I hope that it won't get moved. Hole 7 setup now is quite nice, but the path right down the middle can interfere if someone is walking through, but I'm willing to deal with that for the shot. Hole 13 basket could be moved, and my disc has landed right in the middle of the path to the right, but I like the pad position as it makes for a very nice possible RHBH hyzer shot over the trees. I disagree with the naysayer's on Hole 14 and think the basket should stay. It requires an accurate second shot to get a good look for par. Leave Hole 15 up top and throw from down below I say! That's a fun shot uphill with a tight approach. 16 sucks and is my nemesis so far. 17's fun. Hole 18 may be a little tight, but I have had good success with a RHBH shot thrown basically down the road while allowing it to cut back right towards the basket. That is all. Still curious about hole donations to get permanent baskets in there!

Comment

Timber, where did you get that shot of the People's Park area?

I like it a lot better than the Google Earth one that I've been using.
            We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

I like it a lot better than the Google Earth one that I've been using. It has a lot less shadows, and I think the coloring is better for a course map.

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post

I like it a lot better than the Google Earth one that I've been using. It has a lot less shadows, and I think the coloring is better for a course map.
                Thanks. I cut and pasted screen shots from Bing Maps birdseye view.

http://www.bing.com/maps/

It took an hour or so to assemble and it's still not perfect. There is a bust in the registration because the birdseye camera angle shifts as you move across the site. You can see the break above the pin for Hole 7.

Comment

Any way you can post the map without any lines on it here?

That way anyone (more likely, just myself) can use it to draw up course proposals.

Comment

Attached is my map of the current layout.

The West Hills area includes Red tees now.
                    Last edited by Parks; May 7th, 2010, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                      Any way you can post the map without any lines on it here?

That way anyone (more likely, just myself) can use it to draw up course proposals.
                      Ask and ye shall receive

Comment

So I played through the new People's Park layout today at the fundraiser. While I did enjoy playing new holes today, I still rather enjoyed the older and shorter layout better. I originally believed the purpose of the People's Park course to be a more beginner friendly course where amateur's can build up the experience they need to keep up on longer courses like High Bridge and Downriver. So what happened?

The new layout did not do much to address the issues mentioned in earlier posts. In fact, I think there were more blind spots and issues with the new layout in terms of friendliness to non-player park users. It seemed to me that this layout could much more easily result in injury to people that you can't see. At least when it was short, you could see the entire hole and the vicinity around the bucket to be watchful for others.

My other gripe is with the West Plains 5. The walk is long and forces disc golfers to contend with motorists driving around blind corners. It just isn't the safest way to do things considering that the holes there are all short anyway (exception 17).

I believe the first layout offers a great experience for newer players in that the holes are short but also technically challenging. I think it forces players (beginner and intermediate) to tighten up their shots and focus on control rather than power. I demand that the first course come back!!

On another note, I would like to hear an update on the fundraising for baskets at People's. I would love to see baskets in the near future and wouldn't mind helping with fundraising efforts if this would speed the process along.

Comment

Didn't really play the old layout so don't have much to say about changes. I had no major problem with the first 13 besides my own bad playing.

The five across the river don't work though. Too far a walk on unforgiving pavement that will be hot as balls during the summer. There is a safety concern with walking on the road too. No of us want to read the story of some one getting hit by a car. People could drive to the last five, but there doesn't seem to be enough parking. Also who wants to drive for five more holes.

I do like the effort the SDGA has put into Peoples Park. You guys are really trying to grow disc golf in the area. Thanks.

Comment

I played the new course layout on Saturday and I have to agree with SeanT00. I liked the shorter layout and did not like having to crossover to the other holes across the creek. Perhaps I would grow to like the layout the more I played it, but the first time was not as fun as the old layout.

Comment

Hey thanks Lyle for setting up the course and running the benifit. I heard that it raised over $200.00. That's cool!

Sky Pilot
                              President
                              SDGA
                              Rely on Me

Comment

Yes, thanks Lyle for the effort that went into this. Kudos to you! I know a lot of work went into presenting this new option to us.

That said, however, I have to agree with the previous posters. The first layout - even in its infancy - was already my favorite Spokane course. The new one I found to be not as fun, less beginner-friendly and more dangerous. Some of the individual holes are good, but the overall layout doesn't flow as well with the park trails and other features. There were more than a few holes where I was reluctant to throw because I didn't know if there were people in harm's way or not. I felt the old layout filled a real need in the Spokane area course options; the new one, not so much. If it's a vote, I'm for the original or a slightly tweaked version of it.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X