X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news on the Downriver signs!

I spoke with Kevin yesterday and he mentioned that he had sanded some of the HighBridge benches sometime ago. I am pretty sure he said he had some stain as well. I will try and reach him today to see if he has what we need to get started sanding the benches... early morning is probably going to work better for me.

Comment

Everyone make sure to thank Jeff for keeping our courses looking nice!

He's putting in a lot of work even though he's not even playing right now due to injury.
      Last edited by Parks; May 20th, 2010, 03:58 PM.
      We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

I spoke with our wood shop foreman, and he doesn't think that they make battery powered sanders. That said; I believe that I can borrow some belt sanders from them that would take off the graffitti in less than five minutes a bench. We would have to figure out how to power them though. A generator in the back of a truck would do nicely if anyone has one. I can get all kinds of things like paint, tools, or lumber wholsale through my employer if needed. I'll chip in for some paint or stain if we still need some. My dad and I will join the work crew if our schedules allow.

Eric Brown:.....I still have throse RR ties for rebuilding 18's teebox, I've just been to busy to get them out of the ground. Things are calming down a bit so I should be able to get off my ass and get stuff done.

Comment

Sanding Benches to remove graffiti

Sean,

That sounds very helpful. Perhaps early Tuesday morning? That's the 25th. Can you get a generator?

Sky Pilot
          Rely on Me

Comment

Depending on the draw on the sanders in question they may be able to run on a power inverter from a car? They are also a bit cheaper than a gen.

Comment

Sky Pilot, I am trying to figure out where to come up with a portable generator we can borrow for Tuesday. No luck yet. Do you think we ought to close this thread focused on the problem and open a new one announcing the planned cleanup and include the need for a generator in the title?

Note: This is my first post and I have come to realize that whatever issues raised here are quickly thrown into SDGA's lap for explanation or fixing. I don't want to complicate matters through ineffective use of this board. Let me know the best way to proceed. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Johnson View Post
                Eric Brown:.....I still have throse RR ties for rebuilding 18's teebox, I've just been to busy to get them out of the ground. Things are calming down a bit so I should be able to get off my ass and get stuff done.
                It sure would be nice if we could fix 18's box before the LCO on 6/5/10.

I'd buy some beer for the work crew.
                Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

I work Monday-Friday 6:00-3:00, but I can try and get some time off to come out and work. As a matter of fact...I think I feel a chill coming on. I will get those RR ties ready over the weekend for sure though.

Comment

I work Monday-Friday 6:00-3:00, but I can try and get some time off to come out and work. As a matter of fact...I think I feel a chill coming on. I will get those RR ties ready over the weekend for sure though.
                    Thanks Sean, if you call me when they're ready to go I think I can get a truck, the key for the gate and deliver them almost all the way to the tee box. My # is 991-1807.

Comment

work to be done...

I'm not going to let Bob steal you away completely. How about after you fix the tee-box for hole 18 at Highbridge we re-focus and get that graffiti off the benches at Downriver?
                      I agree that fixing the tee box before LCO is a greater priority. Perhaps by then we'll have figured out how to power a sander once we get to the benches.

Thanks for being willing to help.

Get back to me if you hear anything. You can shoot me an e-mail at genuinehealing@yahoo.com

Thanks Sean

Sky
                      Rely on Me

Comment

I can't get a generator, and I don't know about borrowing work tools during business hours. I'm down for doing whatever I can to get rid of that trash though. Do we have any other options for power/tools?
                        Also, I saw some paint at Sherwin Williams that is supposedly stain (including sharpies) resistant. How does everyone feel about simply painting over the graffiti? I doubt it's cheap, but it would take a lot of labor out of the equation.

Comment

I can't get a generator, and I don't know about borrowing work tools during business hours. I'm down for doing whatever I can to get rid of that trash though. Do we have any other options for power/tools?
                          Also, I saw some paint at Sherwin Williams that is supposedly stain (including sharpies) resistant. How does everyone feel about simply painting over the graffiti? I doubt it's cheap, but it would take a lot of labor out of the equation.
                          If you're talking about Everclean paint from Sherwin-Williams it won't let you wash off Sharpie. Being a painter it's one of the things I checked when the paint was first introduced.

I think that it would be much easier for us to just stain over the marks with a solid color oil base stain. No sanding required, no generator, cost - a $3 throw away brush. Then when they tag the bench again we just touch up the stain.

If we put latex paint on the benches and tee signs instead of oil base stain we will be creating a maintainance issue that will not go away until all the paint peels off.

I will talk to SW and see if I can get some stain at a discount.

Comment

Sounds easier than sanding. And easy to update it should they mark it up again.
                            We just have to decide when to get it done.

Sky Pilot
                            SDGA Sign Scrubber
                            Rely on Me

Comment

I get a discount at SW through work. It depends on the cost of the product, but it was about $7 a gallon when I picked up some interior paint. I have some rollers that we could use; would they work well with stain (low knap pads)? Also, could we get a stain that is so dark brown that sharpie wouldn't even show up? If no one can even see the writing, then that might take away any motivation to tag up the benches.

Comment

I can do early weekends and afternoons during the week. It would take calling in sick to come out on a weekday morning. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but I'd rather see if we can work something else out first.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X